Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 16:42   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Why Do Owners Insist on Changing Things on a Boat?

Using water tanks for fuel

Re-routing/changing exhaust lines

My (late) mentor told me...never-ever deviate from an original installation unless you are ready to assume the liability.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 16:49   #2

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Sometimes its not built right in the first place-

http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/stoop...20surveyor.htm

I agree to using water tanks for fuel- especially on a sailboat. Actually, maybe its worse on a power boat, since you risk sucking water into your only mode of propulsion.
Zednotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:12   #3

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Not everyone enjoys reading manuals and following instructions. Some folks like the challenge of using what's at hand and common sense to build their own systems. If you own the boat and you're doing the work, obviously you assume the liability. More than likely you'll have to tweak it several times, but if it all works out you feel great.
I built a pressurized water supply system on my boat with a one hundred gallon water tank on the roof and a 12v $100 pump. I get great water pressure and flow, the sun heats the water, and I get long luxurious showers. I fill my tanks with rain water off the roof deck. Only a bucket could be simpler.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:21   #4
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
Sometimes its not built right in the first place-
Especially if there were previous owners.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Not everyone enjoys reading manuals and following instructions. Some folks like the challenge of using what's at hand and common sense to build their own systems. If you own the boat and you're doing the work, obviously you assume the liability. More than likely you'll have to tweak it several times, but if it all works out you feel great.
I built a pressurized water supply system on my boat with a one hundred gallon water tank on the roof and a 12v $100 pump. I get great water pressure and flow, the sun heats the water, and I get long luxurious showers. I fill my tanks with rain water off the roof deck. Only a bucket could be simpler.
On the roof? That is 800# up high any stability issues? Or is you boat so big it does not notice the weight?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:52   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Some just think a circular wheel is not good enough?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:59   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I had a customer who had a leak in his transom while underway only
Damn near sank the boat.
Upon investigation, the PO put a new exhaust design in and mounted the outlet higher.
He tried to use the old exhaust line as a sink drain....12 foot run with it never emptying completely...the hose degraded at the point where it went into the low thru hull....what a moron
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Not everyone enjoys reading manuals and following instructions. Some folks like the challenge of using what's at hand and common sense to build their own systems
Just don't buy a used boat form anyone like that. A lot of common sense is wrong. The desire to make something simple often ignores all the reasons it's not. While it may be a sense of adventure it leads to a whole lot of stupid solutions.

But as I have heard many times "even a blind pig can find an acorn once in a while".
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:23   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Sometimes things are poorly designed even without input from the PO. In my case it was the holding tank system. In both the head and holding tank installation instructions it said do not put any 90 degree elbows in the plumbing system or it will tend to clog. The builders of my boat saw fit to include 2 such 90 degree elbows. The systenm no longer has this problem and no longer clogs. Imagine that.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
On the roof? That is 800# up high any stability issues? Or is you boat so big it does not notice the weight?
In heavy seas I can drain the tank by opening any faucet
Old 11-09-2009, 10:34   #11

Everybody has different needs so not all systems fit every need as built. It is a large assumption the every boat builder has built every system perfect
Old 11-09-2009, 10:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
In heavy seas I can drain the tank by opening any faucet
I did read somewhere that a tank like that can be used as a roll stablizer
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53   #13

tanks

It's actually two tanks one on each side with a controlled chase between them, which seems to work fine in regular seas, but when things get hairy they also need to be drained.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:58   #14

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Just don't buy a used boat form anyone like that. A lot of common sense is wrong. The desire to make something simple often ignores all the reasons it's not. While it may be a sense of adventure it leads to a whole lot of stupid solutions.

But as I have heard many times "even a blind pig can find an acorn once in a while".
Just as a broken watch tells the right time twice a day.

Pblais, believe it or not there are actually owners qualified to make professional upgrades to a yatch. They engineer, manage, and execute the project at a higher quality level then many yards or manufacturers can afford. They are not cost and time constrained and therefore can effect a better outcome.

An all encompassing blanket statement like your above does not make sense.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 13:04   #15

yep, it's a disease... "Brine Flu"

I dont know why, but everyone, especially sailors, try to rethink the systems, spend months or years re-doing what has worked for years, always think they have a better mouse trap, and shorten their cruising time immensely. yeah me too! It's a sickness, just look at the questions on this forum! Sometimes I think..."my gawd... is he seriously considering doing that?"
  • I once spent a bunch of time and money adding two additional fuel tanks to a catamaran for a total of four tanks for more range under power. I dont know why to this day I felt I should need them. First thing I did in the first few months of cruising was burn the fuel in those tanks and never filled them again. (that was some expensive fuel!)
  • I once replace a long , large bilge pump hose that really was fine. I took some of the length out of it eliminating the loop to get more flow from the pump. (in theory) Next time out I just happened to lift a bilge board to check and the water was 1" below the floor! yep.. had to add a check valve that reduced my pump flow more than the loop. yeah, I sure fixed it didnt I? Could have added a second pump for same $
The subject came up a while back if a charter boat would be a good cruising boat, the fact is they are set up so any idiot can use them day in and day out.... so why not! KISS
I am now in the habit of looking at it this way: If I spend $2000 on that thing I've been wanting and use it for 3 years, and during those 3 years I use it twice a month, it's costing me $28 every time I use it... do I still want it???
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote