Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 20:17   #1

Boat: Santana 22
Which One is for me?

After reading all I could find, I am somewhat confused about what paint I should be using. So here is my situation.

My 22' is for the most part going to be on the trailer at my house when not being sailed. I have two major lakes to choose from in my area in Utah, (The Great Salt Lake and Utah Lake) so it is nice to be able to trailer to whichever one I choose. I will then have it out of the water all winter, so that is not a concern.

It's time for paint. I have done quite a bit of work on it this year. When I bought it, whenever it rained it leaked like a screen door. So i removed all of the deck fittings, lifelines and misc and glassed in all the holes pending refitting. I also glassed in all the holes that had been done over the years in the transom for the various motor mounts that had been on it. Finally I re-did an old repair that had been VERY poorly done on one of the deck areas. My question is this.

When I repaint the transom area would I use bottom paint? or something else? If so what type do you all recommend? Also what type of paint do I need for the deck areas? There are several areas where the gel-coat has cracked so this may be a concern as well.

I plan to keep this boat for quite some time so I want to protect it and do it right the first time.
SUSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 20:36   #2

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36
Re: Which One is for me?

I would use two part polyurethane for the jobs you are talking about.

I don't color match; that part might be tricky.
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 19:37   #3

Boat: Santana 22
Re: Which One is for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
I would use two part polyurethane for the jobs you are talking about.

I don't color match; that part might be tricky.
Is this also what I would use for the bottom as well? Or is that another type as well?

PS sorry for the delay responding, got called out of town for work at the last minute and just got back.
SUSailor is offline   Reply With Quote