Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 01:32   #1

Updating your threads

I'm sometimes frustrated... other times just left hanging... when I follow threads seeking advice to fix issues... but the OP moves on without us and we never get to the bottom of how the issue ended... probably because the problem no longer exists and is fixed.
...Im sure we've all done this at so.e point...if you get a spare moment could I ask that you check your old threads and tell us how the issue was fixed.. or what the problem turned out to be... or whether a decision was made... just ask in nicely.[emoji4]
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:18   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Updating your threads

I couldn't agree more.

A guy had been trying to solve a vessel equilibrium problem for the last three years. In an effort to find the solution he had contacted eight different forums before contacting this forum. I was able to show him where he could find the solution but there has been no feedback, no thanks - nothing.

Why would you bother making an effort?

I am always on the alert when I see a person is posting for the first time on the forum and they ask a question like:

" I am thinking of getting into the business of boat maintenance: can anyone tell me what tools I will need?"

Incredibly a lot of OP went overboard trying to outdo each other with comprehensive lists of tools! (Needless to say we never heard from the would-be entrepreneur again!!)
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:55   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Some of us DO update threads.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:00   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

So lots of knowledge is collected and communicated, not just for the sake of the OP, but benefiting the community as a whole, and googling lurkers for years to come.

A cry in the wilderness to please put a nice little bow on threads tying up loose ends, good luck, just the nature of the medium.

Keep browsing and searching, start a new thread, the answer is out there, you'll find it!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:57   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

So, Nzmal, please come back to this thread in three years and let us know how much luck you had with people returning to put “closure” on their threads. !
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 15:19   #6

Ok sorry if I irked some with this request, that certainly wasn't my intent and I appreciate that many threads are closed off nicely. I really just wanted to prompt anyone who had abandoned threads, particularly those that involved trouble-shooting, to check that they'd added the last page to their story. (and I only had this epiphany after realising that I hadn't closed off some of my issues that were now resolved.).... What kind of boat should i buy? ..... what's the best way to clean lines?.... etc
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 18:54   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

No irking here. Just human nature, and having to deal with people instead of bots. A noble idea, returning to tell people how things went, but doesn’t always happen. People forget which forum they posted on, which threads they posted, and often go on to other more pressing issues like soccer games or paying bills and simply don’t get around to it. As John61 says, the info and exchanges are still useful and benefit the whole online community.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 18:56   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

A worthwhile reminder. Your threads are readily accessible from your subscribed list or your personal control panel. I will take this reminder as a suggestion, and I’m going to go back and put solutions on those threads where I think it might be useful to future readers...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote