Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 13:19   #1

Universal M15 5411 diesel fumes

Hi all,

So this is my current challenge on my Cal 2-27's inboard 1979 diesel-she has a salt water cooling system direct to the engine. I'm new to this part of my engine...

After about 45 minutes of running the engine, I start getting incremental and gradual temperature increase, up to 150, then 160-170-190 etc.

I'm getting good water flow out of the exhaust, not spotty, good flow. Simultaneously, diesel fumes start progressively filling up the cabin, until after running a little while I stop the engine and go under sail.

There's alot of issues I have read about but them being principally the following

oil blowby causing overheat
blow head gasket
carbon build up in exhaust elbow, etc.
thermostat

I am now looking at the carbon build up , but not sure how to test the thermostat. Also, I don't know how to check the oil blow by, on one occasion when I was testing the engine I cranked up the RPM's and ran her hard to see how it would react and I saw a bit of oil come out of the exhaust, at which I stopped and lowered RPM.

My last engine issue was solved by you all! Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated!!!

Victor
valexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 21:50   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Universal M15 5411 diesel fumes

There must be diesel engine mechanics here so they could advise.

Wouldn't a compression test reading indicate whether you had oil blow by?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 21:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by valexans View Post
Hi all,

So this is my current challenge on my Cal 2-27's inboard 1979 diesel-she has a salt water cooling system direct to the engine. I'm new to this part of my engine...

After about 45 minutes of running the engine, I start getting incremental and gradual temperature increase, up to 150, then 160-170-190 etc.

I'm getting good water flow out of the exhaust, not spotty, good flow. Simultaneously, diesel fumes start progressively filling up the cabin, until after running a little while I stop the engine and go under sail.

There's alot of issues I have read about but them being principally the following

blow head gasket
thermostat

I am now looking at the carbon build up , but not sure how to test the thermostat. Also, I don't know how to check the oil blow by, on one occasion when I was testing the engine I cranked up the RPM's and ran her hard to see how it would react and I saw a bit of oil come out of the exhaust, at which I stopped and lowered RPM.

My last engine issue was solved by you all! Any ideas/suggestions much appreciated!!!

Victor
diesel fumes or diesel exhaust fumes
Old 11-04-2020, 23:09   #4

Boat: Hylas 54

When coolant passages within the engine become blocked you'll have overheating problems like this. The water still goes through the engine, just not through all the pathways it must. Try an acid treatment to clear out the passages.

The fume problems could be related, or not. I'd tackle the overheating first.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:53   #5

I had this problem and found there was a very small hole in the waterlift muffler caused by it chafing on something in the engine compartment. No exhaust cooling water escaped, but some exhaust fumes did. Replaced the Vetus plastic part and no more problem.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi all,

blow head gasket
thermostat

Victor
do you actually get a high temp alarm or does the temp plateau? Have you taken the temperature directly with an ir unit? Or are you going off the gauge ?
Old 12-04-2020, 14:14   #7

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Assuming you have checked the exhaust system for leaks inside the vessel, particularly in the area of the anti-siphon system to stop seawater getting into the system, then diesel fumes can come from three other sources that are easily checked.

Blown head gasket, blown exhaust manifold gasket, oil recovery fume condenser from the blow-by system is clogged. This requires a simple strip down and a clean of the plates, and while at it, a good idea to replace any hoses that could also be leaking.

If your engine does not have such a system, it is a good idea to make one or buy one and fit it. It takes the blow-by from the engine, runs it through a condenser to collect any oil, and feeds the rest of the blow-by into the air cleaner or air intake for the engine. The oil condensed is fed back into the engine. usually through a pipe leading to the rocker cover. Gravity returns the condensed oil, since the pressure into and out of the oil condensation chambers is pretty much the same as the blow-by pressure..
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 14:08   #8

Hey All! Thank you for the responses!

Ok so to clarify. I do not have a temp guage or anything in the engine, I can only judge it's overheating by reading the gauge in the cockpit that incrementally goes up after about 45m and feeling that there is hot air in the cabin in the engine compartment and smelling diesel (exhaust) fumes.

Here are some pictures of my system, forgive my ignorance of how this system works..

OK, so any links to videos or helpful tips for acid flush and/or stripping and cleaning of heads? Come to think any tips for getting out carbon buildup? Where exactly does this carbon build up?

I have 2 basic questions:
1. Here is the port side (when facing) of the engine from the rear. I'm cross-referencing the diagram from the manual with my engine to make sure I'm not missing anything about the flow. Where is the thermostat?! Also what part exactly is the cylinder that acts as the path to the recirculation hoses back to the inlet? is that a heat exchanger?

2. And I also have a picture that is throwing me a bit off. Is this twisting cover an opening for some kind of coolant? What is it's purpose? This is on the manifold no?

lol doing my best to understand this system so I can try to find solutions for gradual overheating. Glad for any help. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4781 (1).JPG
Views:	257
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	213161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4783 (1).JPG
Views:	214
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	213162  

Name:	IMG_4803.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	213163  
Old 18-04-2020, 14:22   #9

Sorry here is the picture of the manifold where I referenced coolant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4786.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	213164  
Old 18-04-2020, 14:52   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry here is the picture of the manifold where I referenced coolant.
this is a fresh water cooled engine have you checked the level of antifreeze?
Is the fresh water pump leaking ?
The round tube in the picture is the heat exchanger remove it and open the end cover check for blockages .

,https://www.google.com/search?q=univ...obile&ie=UTF-8
On this page is a link for the repair manual download from westerbeke
Old 18-04-2020, 14:56   #11

Thanks! I am a little confused, since I have always assumed the 5411 was a raw water cooled engine but now it make sense that it's freshwater cooled since it has heat exchanger and etc. There is literally no antifreeze in that manifold. Should I try to fill some and see how it runs?

AHH frustrated at my fundamental misunderstanding here..
Old 18-04-2020, 15:07   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes that would be a good start but tap water will be fine for now in case you need to dig deeper into it your not wasting the antifreeze
Old 18-04-2020, 15:26   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Thanks! I am a little confused, since I have always assumed the 5411 was a raw water cooled engine but now it make sense that it's freshwater cooled since it has heat exchanger and etc. There is literally no antifreeze in that manifold. Should I try to fill some and see how it runs?

AHH frustrated at my fundamental misunderstanding here..

Yep, fill that thing to the top.

If it was me, I’d just fill it with tap water and run the boat hard.

Once it’s proven all is well, I’d the. Drain all of the coolant, pull the heat exchanger and clean it with CLR or similar. Once it’s cleaned out, reinstall, fill the engine with 50/50 antifreeze, then test run again.

Problem solved.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel