Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2020, 12:31   #1
FEC

Herrington Harbour North

Hello, I'm looking for someone who repairs cracks and scratches in / on the fiberglass on a sailboat? Obviously the marina's price is outlandish and I have tried the contacts I could find on Craigslist but i do not get a call back. Could i get in contact with someone who knows someone who might know someone that does this kind of work? I though this place would be crawling with people looking for work but if they are I sure can't find them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you fellow sailors!
...I'm going where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain, going where the weather suits my close...Banking off of the northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze...and skipping over the ocean like a stone...
FEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 13:03   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Herrington Harbour North

Please post pictures. It may be complex. Or it may not need fixing.

This is, of course, why many of us learn to DYI. Boat works is more expensive than something similar on a car. And body work on a car aint' cheap either!
Old 18-04-2020, 13:07   #3

Check the bulletin boards at Herrington Harbour. Normally someone would have a business card there.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 14:13   #4
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Please post pictures. It may be complex. Or it may not need fixing.

This is, of course, why many of us learn to DYI. Boat works is more expensive than something similar on a car. And body work on a car aint' cheap either!

Yes, I've watched a few videos on youtube on how to do it and of course the guy on there makes it look so simple even a caveman could do it! I just don't think i have that skill set, working with fiberglass and gel coat and all that jazz. If it's mechanical though, I'm all in. I'll take some pictures and try posting them up
...I'm going where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain, going where the weather suits my close...Banking off of the northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze...and skipping over the ocean like a stone...
Old 18-04-2020, 14:14   #5
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Check the bulletin boards at Herrington Harbour. Normally someone would have a business card there.

That is a great idea, I will check the next time i go by the marina office.
Old 18-04-2020, 14:37   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A good way to learn fiberglass and gain confidence is small projects that aren't even a part of the boat (trash can) or something that is hidden (tabbing repairs, backing plates, shelves, and stuff that will be painted). It takes practice to get good, but it's not that hard to get good enough. It also helps if you are always thinking about how composites "work," which is quite different from other materials and joining methods.