Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Open Face Cabinetry or Closed Face Cabinetry?
Open Face Cabinetry 5 23.81%
Closed Face Cabinetry 16 76.19%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 06:16   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Closed Face Cabinetry or Open Face Cabinetry?

I’m trying to determine if people are really going to hate open face cabinetry or not. I had it on a previous boat and it worked great. You just have to make sure things were organized in it. Aesthetically.

To me, it’s a logical decision because it saves weight and time and effort.

However, I don’t want to build a boat that has zero resale value. So, I’m checking to see what people think about this one.

Would you still buy a boat that had open face cabinetry? Or would that be such a turn off that you would look for a different boat?

*Note: When deciding, please keep in mind that the front face of the open cabinetry would look just like the modern, closed cabinetry in these pictures. I would put Formica on the front that looks just like the Formica on the cabinetry in the modern Catamaran galley pic. Please try to disregard the age and different styling from different time periods that we see in these pictures. Try to imagine the modern cabinetry, but with the rounded rectangular holes instead of cabinet faces on it. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A356FD2-5F7B-4CAE-8D74-786BC3DC2DA3.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	225056   Click image for larger version

Name:	58CCCFE8-249B-47A9-ADC8-A4DE4D742290.png
Views:	200
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	225057  

Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:46   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Traditional European/Hardware Hidden Cabinetry or Open Face Cabinetry?

Open faced cabinetry has its place in a performance-comes-first design, it looks strictly utilitarian. Closed faced cabinetry looks finished. The fine detailing is an indication of the care which went into the overall design and build.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:46   #3

While I appreciate the ease of access of open, I’d be concerned about dirt and dust - not just on the dishes (which presumably get used and washed regularly) but in the nooks and crannies of the cabinets, necessitating removing everything to thoroughly clean likely far more often than I’d want to do it.

That said, if you have a strong preference for open, could you just have the open face done as a door (that you would never open) and have additional matching solid doors also made and just store them somewhere for changing things around in the future as and when desired? Or at least stash matching Formica/door material suitable to cover the necessary doors when made? Alternatively potentially an open design ‘door’ could be come up with such that when closed doors are desired you just need to fill in the open section and you have a sort of panel-look door? The fill could be done with a contrasting or coordinating color at a later date so you wouldn’t need to worry about matching if you didn’t want to store anything now.
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Open faced cabinetry has its place in a performance-comes-first design, it looks strictly utilitarian. Closed faced cabinetry looks finished. The fine detailing is an indication of the care which went into the overall design and build.
This is a performance comes first boat. However, I do want the aesthetics to be pleasing to everyone. Even though I lean toward open faced. I was hoping by using the same material as you see in the modern picture, I could create a modern type of open face cabinetry that looks just as good.

However, I will try to shut up now and not pollute the results with a lot of my own opinion.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:01   #5

When you start worrying about resale then you've having to predict the relative % of 'which type of what buyers' will be sniffing around your boat some point in the future. In the mean time do you have the boat that you yourself want?

I vote open face and lightweight/thin sliding doors just inside the face of the carcass (if/where sliding doors will fit). Such would keep contents secure, out of sight, dust free.

"In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away, when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness." De Saint-Exupéry
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:11   #6

Boat: Island Packet 420

I prefer closed cabinetry, especially because of the issue of keeping the things clean inside. However, I do like the clean look. Why not use the same wooden shapes, but put a hinge on the bottom and attach a piece of plexiglass on it to close the cabinet with a latch. Same look, but a solid cabinet structure.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:14   #7

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

If your goal is to keep weight down, a conventional door but use a tight woven mesh screen in lieu of a door panel. Design the door and have it routed out such that if a new owner wanted full panel doors they could simply cut new panels to fit in the existing door frame.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:39   #8

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This is a performance comes first boat. However, I do want the aesthetics to be pleasing to everyone. Even though I lean toward open faced. I was hoping by using the same material as you see in the modern picture, I could create a modern type of open face cabinetry that looks just as good.

However, I will try to shut up now and not pollute the results with a lot of my own opinion.
Anyone interested in buying your boat will be focused on a performance cat, not some condomaran. As cats don't heel (much) the open face would be functional. For weight savings, some companies that build cruising cats, use Airex foam panels covered in wood laminate (formica in your case) to match the boat interior. Just do what the other performance builders do and reduce weight anywhere you can.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:10   #9

Boat: Pearson 10M

Even on a cat I think you need a way to keep the contents contained when the boat pitches. It won't happen very often, but when it does you don't want the event to be marked by your stores distributed across the cabin sole.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
Even on a cat I think you need a way to keep the contents contained when the boat pitches. It won't happen very often, but when it does you don't want the event to be marked by your stores distributed across the cabin sole.
That doesn’t happen.

I’ve already had a galley like this. In fact, the one in the picture.

Nothing falls out at all. I know I have had that boat out in a gale.

The thing is, the opening provides a lip all the way around it. Nothing can actually fall out. Maybe if you capsize. But then I don’t really care. LOL
Old 12-10-2020, 09:21   #11

Wow. So far 80% of people are preferring the heavier, closed cabinetry. Which is heavier not only because it uses almost twice the material, but also heavier because the metallic hardware weighs a significant amount.

I’m kind of surprised. But then I guess most people don’t buy performance boats anyway. So maybe that has been reflected here.

Throughout the whole process of buying a boat, I don’t think people put as much emphasis on light weight and performance as I am putting.

Thanks for the comments so far, and for the voting.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:55   #12

Boat: Other people's boats

My sense is that open face will make it troublesome for me to get items in and out. I recall trying to extract a tea kettle from one that had nothing more than a low railing, and wondering how it had gotten into the thing to start with.

Conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if a sharp heeling would still be capable of scattering smaller or top-heavy items to the sole. Although, this goes more to what items are stowed, and how.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 13:35   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Chotu,

Doors don't keep out dust. Therefore, for you, I think open is the better way to go, mostly because your allergies mean that you'll want to be wiping out the cupboards often anyway, and they always get grotty at the knobs. You, or your good lady, will need smooth inside surfaces, too for easier cleaning.

Drawers, where possible, do a good job of keeping things clean, and (of course) still require cleaning from time to time. More drawers and less doors, I'd say.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 12-10-2020, 16:57   #14

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Both. Typically lowers closed, uppers open, but with considerations for size of envisioned contents, frequency of use and accessability. I too like drawers, but durability is difficult to achieve without a weight penalty (at least relative to what you seem to be trying to accomplish).
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 17:08   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Open face for me plus drawers. Looks 'proper' and works well!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin