Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 13:22   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: To Butyl or not to Butyl

Define 'doing the portholes'. Butyl works great on the frame to fibreglass side, I don't know about the glass to frame usage. When I did our 1985 Catalina 30, I used Butyl on the frame/fibreglass side, but a 3M sealant for the glass to frame portion. (Ours are actual glass, not plexiglass.) Remember Butyl is a sealant, not an adhesive. This is what I used: CatalinaDirect.com (I did have to buy the butyl separate.)
OS2Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 14:13   #17

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet
Thumbs up Re: To Butyl or not to Butyl

DO not use black butyl use it once left black stains on hull. Use ss screws from Marsh ss on net made in the USA cheap will not rust. I used 3/4 white to hold bronze screen and it helps to hold the 14 window covers on
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 15:39   #18

Boat: Oday 25

Put my windows in using the grey butyl tape (from Maine Sail on this forum) 8 years ago and hav'nt touched them since. No leaks. Used it everywhere possible since. Our bilge pump is now a sponge.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 17:44   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenH View Post
I can get some, I just think it breaks down faster.
hmmm . . . it is used to glue in glass windows on high rise buildings, has been extensively tested and has quite excellent aging properties (see https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...ical-guide.pdf just as the first google hit ). Lasted a decade on Hawk with no noticeable deterioration at all.

How it compares in aging to butyl I don't know, but its pretty damn good stuff, and does not have some of the less desirable properties of butyl.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 21:55   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
hmmm . . . it is used to glue in glass windows on high rise buildings, has been extensively tested and has quite excellent aging properties (see https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...ical-guide.pdf just as the first google hit ). Lasted a decade on Hawk with no noticeable deterioration at all.

How it compares in aging to butyl I don't know, but its pretty damn good stuff, and does not have some of the less desirable properties of butyl.
I agree with Evans.

VHB tape combined with Dow 795 structural silicone would be my solution. No fasteners as they are the weak point with acrylic and polycarbonate.

With the above combination you do not need or want fasteners of any kind as they add nothing to the finished job.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:45   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
Put my windows in using the grey butyl tape (from Maine Sail on this forum) 8 years ago and hav'nt touched them since. No leaks. Used it everywhere possible since. Our bilge pump is now a sponge.
Maine Sail's butyl is the best, and buying it helps support his site and other amazing work helping the community
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 15:43   #22

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Tried buying from Mainesail, but never got response to initial question. Gave up after a few attempts and eventually found excellent butyl tape here in Oz. Was trying to buy a couple of his crimpers also, so quite disappointing.😢

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:30   #23

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

[QUOTE=BigBeakie;2667969]Tried buying from Mainesail, but never got response to initial question. Gave up after a few attempts and eventually found excellent butyl tape here in Oz. Was trying to buy a couple of his crimpers also, so quite disappointing.😢 /QUOTE]

That wasn't my experience with Mainesail. I sent an email asking about alternators and he responded immediately, and shared considerable advice and expertise in multiple emails. He also contributes frequently in CF. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote