Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 17:17   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: Tips for the getting this #*&% stuff off?

minaret,

Don't really want an argument with you as I respect you to much.

That being said, when I purchased my boat over 12 years ago, 8, 10 inch opening ports were glued shut with 5200, anti-bond wasn't available then. I use my recipe I created enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket to just cover the port light, let each one soak for about 4 hrs. The 5200 debonded from the chrome and glass and just pulled off in strips.

2 weeks ago I was down at my boat preparing to restore 2 chrome over bronze deck hatches. Someone had also used 5200 to glue in replacement plexiglass. I didn't have any of my concoction at the dock. So I went across the Street to West Marine, got a 1,5 ounce bottle of the AntiBond at $17.50 plus tax. I worked for a 4 hours getting no where fast.

So I loaded up the hatches back to the shop and used my recipe. Had both hatches cleaned and glass out ready for the chrome shop, in 3 hrs.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Lol. Dipropylene glycol methyl ether acetate is not the same thing as propylene glycol. At all. Note as well the two different kinds of unspecified "terpenes". You can't make this stuff in your bathtub. A $17 bottle of AB (and that price is high) often lasts our pro shop a year. A little goes a very long way. Nice to have it in an aerosol can too, really helps to spray it into cracks. You can waste your time making lame imitations, or just shell out a little for a product a major company had scientists who know what they are doing design. If it takes me half an hour to fart around making my own, I have to bill over $50 for that. Much cheaper to order up. Time is money.

PS-Don't see any denatured as you claimed in there. Sure you've ever even used the stuff?
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 17:53   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I read a lot of opinions from people who don't like the idea of composting. Squeamish, silly, shallow people. Probably shouldn't be on a boat to begin with. Well, whether you like that idea or not, I am pretty sure that if you ever get hands-on involved in removing an ancient holding tank from an older boat, you will get to the point where you never want to share your living space with one of these setups again. I still shudder. I will spare you the details. The horror.........the horror....
Ah yes, wait for the flies...just wait, they will come...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 17:58   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Lol. Dipropylene glycol methyl ether acetate is not the same thing as propylene glycol.
PS-Don't see any denatured as you claimed in there. Sure you've ever even used the stuff?
Sorry I meant to add this link for your reading pleasure

Dipropylene glycol methyl ether acetate

I'm no chemist...but I might qualify as a back yard chemist.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 18:20   #34

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Ah yes, wait for the flies...just wait, they will come...
..Descending like the plague on your boat out of nowhere offshore..absolutely!!

But due to a composting toilet...suppose it's possible, but sterile coir, peat moss or whatever; screen off the vent; ensure proper separation of fluids and solids. Bam. Never heard of that being a real problem for composters.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote