Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2022, 04:13   #1

Boat: 25' Sailboat
Tiller wood

Dear all,

I would like to ask you about what wood is recommended for rudder tiller.

Thank you very much!!
blancosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:28   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Tiller wood

Depends what is available to you locally. Usually a rot-resistant hardwood. I used black walnut and white oak to make the tiller for my Chameleon dinghy, but they both grow here and I was able to find free scraps for what I needed.

I believe mahogany is also widely used.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:40   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Depends what is available to you locally. Usually a rot-resistant hardwood. I used black walnut and white oak to make the tiller for my Chameleon dinghy, but they both grow here and I was able to find free scraps for what I needed.

I believe mahogany is also widely used.

Free is good

Local hardwoods are popular. Two of the boats I have worked on came with red oak tillers which is easy to get here, especially at retail lumber stores, but sort of awkward with the open pore structure. Talking to a sawmill or cabinet maker or woodworker might get you some wood that is otherwise not easy to find.

The laminated ones are mahogany and white ash according to these guys:
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/cu/d...ust-tiller.php

The nicest one I have had is a carved mahogany set up with a bronze fitting for a round metal rudder post for a C-Scow. It was finished nicely, dark stain and varnish, and has a commercial 'golf club grip and shaft' extension and pivot and bracket. The sad part is that the bronze rudder post it hooks to on the rudder is cracked and would not be good to use...
Old 12-12-2022, 04:55   #4

Boat: Tartan 4100

I would stay away from red oak as this is has an open cellular structure which will allow it to suck up water, much like a straw. White oak is a much better choice, closed cellular structure. Ash is also used. You want to use a wood with strength and rot resistance. Exotics like Brazilian cherry would do nicely. If you find mahogany, I would laminate it in strips paired with white oak or ash, make sure you use epoxy as the adhesive.
I teach woodshop in high school, and as a demonstration of the open structure of red oak, I take a 1" X 1" X 12" piece and blow bubbles in a tub of water. It never ceases to amaze kids that you can blow through wood! You can also suck up the water from the tub, but it doesn't "wow" them as much as seeing the bubbles.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:01   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Sean D just used a chunk of wood he found on the Bristol 27 he sailed across three oceans.

I got lucky and found one on Ebay that was almost an exact match for my original tiller with holes already drilled for $75.

My original tiller broke in half while out sailing.

Not sure on the wood type but you might want to do a tiller search online to see what comes up before making your own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SD Tiller.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	268640   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00372.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	268642  

Name:	DSC00373.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	268643   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00381.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	268644  

Name:	DSC00216.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	268645  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:30   #6

I'd make one by laminating strips of wood which are known to be rot resistant.

Redwood
American mahogany
Cypress
Western red cedar
Pacific yew
Teak
Black walnut
White oak
Juniper

I'd take the blank then steam it and bend it into shape. The image in the top-right of post # 5 is what I'd be afraid of. The grain doesn't run the length of the piece. Instead the grain traverses diagonally across the piece. The wood can separate along any of those grains and effectively leave you with a broken tiller arm.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:55   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'd make one by laminating strips of wood which are known to be rot resistant.

Redwood
American mahogany
Cypress
Western red cedar
Pacific yew
Teak
Black walnut
White oak
Juniper

I'd take the blank then steam it and bend it into shape. The image in the top-right of post # 5 is what I'd be afraid of. The grain doesn't run the length of the piece. Instead the grain traverses diagonally across the piece. The wood can separate along any of those grains and effectively leave you with a broken tiller arm.
Usually it's fine if you protect it and don't let it rot......

The broken one had a 10 inch crack and I used it for another 2-3 years before it broke it half which was probably do to my terrible repair.

The tape wrapped around the crack area causing it to stay damp and it finally broke which was quite a weird feeling.

I had just taken the tiller from the autopilot when it felt spongy and then broke in half.. Wind was about 18 knots, but I was able to sail the last few miles steering with the sails.

When I got in close enough to be out of the wave I put the outboard in and use it's tiller to get in the rest of the way and into my slip.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:56   #8

Red Oak water stains badly if your varnish ever goes away in spots. White Oak is better.

Laminated tillers are popular because they are not crack prone like a single piece of wood is, especially with a curve in the wood. The curve enhances chances of a straight grain break.

For the trouble of making a good tiller, you may consider buying a pre made laminated one that is close to what you need and modifying it a bit.
I made a laminated tiller for the 30 footer I took to Mexico in the 80's. It was a ton of work and requires a very strong jig to hold it shaped while the epoxy sets.

For that boat I steam bent some Oak pieces for the interior. But, I was totally unsuccessful steam bending Teak. Never was able to do it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 07:35   #9

Boat: 25' Sailboat

Thanks to all for your help!!!

I most probably buy white us oak, it´s easy to find here.

Thanks again!
blancosail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wood