Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 11:59   #16

Re: Tiling Showers on boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Mastic, as a tile adhesive, has a number of drawbacks. Since it’s organic, it can harbor mold in high-moisture areas, it also will re-liquefy/emulsify when submerged in water (or even exposed to significant moisture), and lose it’s adhesive strength.

Thinset mortar is what you need to use for shower walls and floors, or any area subject to moisture.
Yeah... as usual it's a trade off... thin set is brittle "...Since thin-set tile mortar has a tendency to crack (beware if using on a floor that flexes a lot), ...."
I think the tile man who did mine used the mastic due to the boat movement consideration. It's a lot like liquid nails. Hopefully your shower will not be submerged... or you have bigger problems!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:08   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Modern urethane adhesives, small tiles and flexible grout will make this happen. Do not use thinset on a mobile substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:18   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Why not use modern sheet laminates
Old 06-02-2015, 13:46   #19
BAM

^^^ This was going to be my suggestion, too. You can buy sheets of laminate and use them on everything except floors. I've done several tub surrounds this way, and they have lasted many years and still look great. Be careful about which pattern you select - the slightly glossy ones are better for tub surrounds and soap scum sticks less. I prefer Wilson-art brand to others I've tried, including the Formica brand. I found that it chips less when cut with laminate cutters than others, and also that it was more forgiving of being rolled up tight to get into somewhere small, like thru a little doorway. The laminate is light weight, it doesn't mind flexing a bit, and when properly installed it is impervious to water, except at joints or seams. At corners joints or seams, I've used laminate joint bond first, then covered with latex calk, and have never had a leak. I use contact cement troweled onto both surfaces for application, but watch the fumes, as you can lose a brain cell or two with that stuff, and it's explosive. Good times.
BAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:27   #20

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

I am reviving this thread to ask, I want to tile this small shower floor, but I would like to fill in the trough around the perimeter and run the tile out to the edge. What would you fill the trough in with? I would rather not get into fiberglassing it, as that seems like too much work for the return!

Yes, the picture is sideways, sorry, I can't figure out how to rotate it on this stupid old computer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0290.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	122095  
Old 06-04-2016, 12:33   #21

That appears to be a nice arrangement. With a raised lip at the trough. Not going to be easy really. Could you just tile out the raised lip?

Old 06-04-2016, 14:26   #22

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

I'm not sure what you mean by, tile out the lip. I want to tile the floor, and the trough has a low spot opposite the drain, which has to be sponged dry every time one uses the shower. I figured if I could fill the trough and tile the whole area, it would be a way to solve that problem. (Yes, I know I would have to raise the area opposite the drain a hair so the pitch allows the water to run to the drain.)

Thanks for any further input!
Old 06-04-2016, 14:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunatic View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by, tile out the lip. I want to tile the floor, and the trough has a low spot opposite the drain, which has to be sponged dry every time one uses the shower. I figured if I could fill the trough and tile the whole area, it would be a way to solve that problem. (Yes, I know I would have to raise the area opposite the drain a hair so the pitch allows the water to run to the drain.)

Thanks for any further input!
Sorry , I meant "out to the lip". That is a raised lip I see right? or not?
Maybe not, I just looked again. I think that trough is a benefit, sitting water is a bit of a pain I suppose, but not uncommon.... especially if the boat isn't perfect level...

Tags
shower