Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 18:28   #1

Boat: Vivacity 24, Twin Keel
The annoying new guy.

So, I'm the new guy. I've been the new guy before, it was a motorcycle forum last time, and I'll probably be the new guy on some other forum in a few years. I'm okay with being the new guy. I'm polite, I try to be helpful, I have thick skin and a decent sense of humor, so generally I do just fine. My problem is that where I live, I literally know of no one with a sailboat bigger than a Hobie 14. That's why I am probably going to be the annoying new guy for a while as I try to figure out my boat and get it into shape for next season. I appreciate any help, whether it's a specific answer or a redirect. I'll try to search previous threads whenever I can.

I recently purchased a Vivacity 24 twin keel. I'm sorting out a lot of things through trial and error. I live on a 1300 acre lake with 5 islands, so even though I spend about 25% of my time tacking (Don't worry, it's fall, there's virtually no one else on the lake) I am figuring out the different sails and rigging.

I am reading several books on sailing, boat maintenance/repair, and am looking at one or two courses on sailing to develop my knowledge and skills. Given my location, I will have to do a lot online, but hopefully I can find some resources close by.

My short term goal is to do some short trips on Superior next fall. With that in mind, I'm trying to get her in shape for the wife and I, and maybe one of the kids. Now on to my (most likely) stupid questions.

Is there anywhere I could find a manual for my boat? She's not very big, or complicated, but it would be nice to have something to refer to on occasion.

Does anyone have any information on Richmond Ring Shipmate oven ranges? A 982G came with the boat, but no brackets for the gimbal, and the pressure tank is unusable. I'm not even sure if it's alcohol or kerosene, but AL2 is printed on each burner, so I would guess it is an alcohol stove. Pictures of the gimbal brackets (or bracket?) would be helpful as I can fabricate what I need easily if I know what it should look like.

I'm now open to anyone who wants to take some shots at me, or anyone that has some helpful direction. I am excited to be taking the first steps to achieving a life long dream, so be gentle.

Brian
bsams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 18:59   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: The annoying new guy.

Welcome to CF..... I must say that is an interesting intro.

Has me trying to remember an old newspaper cartoon characters that were these tiny, numerous, naked amorphous beings each with a bullseye design painted on their ass.

You should fit right in
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 19:08   #3

Brian, first of all welcome to the forum.

I too went through the motorcycle phase, at least for me it was.

You'll definitely need thick skin here but this forum is an amazing resource with many experienced sailors. It is after all the Internet, sounds like you are used to it though so no biggy.

Wakey

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 19:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Brian! Welcome aboard CF.

So glad you are here, as that moves me further away from being the new guy.

But seriously, it is all relative.

You will find many friendly and helpful people here, more if you are one yourself.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 19:17   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'day Brian,

Well, it sounds like you are learning your sailing much as I did: get a boat and figger it out from books and the school of hard knocks as you go along. Worked out ok for me, but nowadays everyone says that ya gotta have formal lessons, tests, certificates and so on. I reckon that you will do just fine!

I've never seen a Vivacity in the flesh, but remember lusting after one when I was ready to graduate from my day-sailor... just from magazine exposure and ads. I remember them as being typically British conservative small cruisers, but it was a long time ago so I may have it wrong.

As to the stove, well if you post a picture of what you already have, it would be easier to help work out your requirements. Barring, that is, someone who actually knows something about the design. If that person steps up, the rest of us shade tree yotties will get out of the way...

And for Pelagic, those creatures were called Schmoos, and were a feature in Al Capp's Li'l Abner strip. They would be great for long term provisioning... less mess than chooks or pigs!

Jim
Old 08-10-2015, 19:28   #6

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop

you can buy a new pressure tank new or second hand. you can make one out of a propane bottle (can send a picture) or a piece of tube or weld one up. i am about to install an old Force 10 kerosene stove and have no gimballs but last time just used hard wood with holes to match the studs and then cut in half--bottom half supported the stove and tops kept it in place----i even had three holes side by side in case i needed to move it in or out--on this present weird install maybe 6 holes??--then trim later?? There is a site called Classic Camp Stoves that may be of interest regarding the burners ID and repair--great info.
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 20:42   #7

Boat: Vivacity 24, Twin Keel

I'll get a picture of the stove tomorrow. Thanks for the welcome and the advice so far.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-10-2015, 23:12   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
And for Pelagic, those creatures were called Schmoos, and were a feature in Al Capp's Li'l Abner strip. They would be great for long term provisioning... less mess than chooks or pigs!

Jim
Thanks Jim.....was driving me crazy trying to remember.

Yes would be a great cruising commodity

https://youtu.be/LC0ybbLCa4E
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 23:32   #9

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

A 1300 acre lake full of islands sounds like a perfect place to learn to sail. It pretty much describes one of the places I learned the ropes and that period made for some of happiest memories of my life. Welcome aboard.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-10-2015, 02:09   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Brian.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:05   #11

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Welcome Brian.. Don't think you will get any special attention with that headline.. we are all annoying so you your in good company
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:35   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I would get "The Complete Sailor", Chapmans and Nigel Calder's "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual".
Read those and you will no longer be the new guy.
Get a fairly new Chapmans.
You can find the Calder book on Thriftybooks for about $5 rather than the $40 list price. Read that and you won't need a boat manual.
Good luck. It's mainly putting in the time and sailing with experienced people whenever possible.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:41   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I had to go google a Vivacity 24 to see what it is. Interesting little boat. I think twin bilge keels would be excellent in some areas where tides would allow beaching the boat. And it sounds like you have an excellent place to learn to sail.

I don't have any great wisdom to impart re: your boat or your stove, but welcome to the forum.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:45   #14

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

My question is whether you are looking for books on sailing instruction since you can clearly practice it yourself and see how it works?

Or are you looking for books on how to renovate your boat? We are all constantly renovating our boats in the winter(if we have a heated place) in in the late spring and early summer. Its our biggest hobby.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:56   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Brian, welcome aboard. You will love your sailing adventure. I used to sail on various lakes in Minnesota form Lake Harriet in Mpls. to Lake Pepin on the Mississippi and Minnetonka to White Bear. Also daily Lake Vermillion and many others in the north. That was with a 16' day sailor on a trailer.

I've since sailed various boats on the East Coast from Connecticut to Florida. Now my wife and I live on our 42' sailboat and cruise Southern California.

I can't offer any help with your Vivacity. But I wish you well on your journey.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote