Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2023, 08:30   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41
Teak panel repair and chainplate cover

Hi everyone,

In order to replace one of my chainplates I had to cut a teak panel, as seen on the attached pic. I'm now planning to have a go at repairing that in a way that the chainplate can be easily inspected and removed in the future. The problem is I've no experience working with wood (although I'm sure it will be easier than many other things I had to learn since buying the boat, e.g. replacing chainplates that were almost completely inaccessible), and can't think of a good way to make something like a removable cover for this.

If anyone has any suggestions or can recommend good resources to learn some woodworking skills, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version

Name:	20221124_173154.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	279367

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 08:41   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Teak panel repair and chainplate cover

I would definitely make a nice teak cover.

If you don't have the skills to work with wood, order it from a carpenter, I don't think could be expensive.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 11:06   #3

Boat: CT 48

If you have a friend who is a woodworker who would help teach you, that'd be the best thing. I'd start by making a cardboard template that covers what you need, and gives you some overlap. Then it's just a matter of cutting out a piece, routing the edges so it looks nice, getting some matching finish on it, and mounting it to the wall.

It's actually a pretty good intro project- if you want to try it yourself I'd make the first attempt out of a cheap wood to be sure you like the way it comes out, and then duplicate it in teak.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:24   #4

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Here's what I would consider.

For the complete slat that's damaged, I try to find another slat from a "Used" Marine parts store... we have a few in CA that have these sections.
For the damage around the chainplate, I would simply tuck those exposed wires back in the bulkhead and trim it out with molding after I installed a new shiny chainplate

As a possible option, maybe remove a slat from the corner, behind the speaker for repairing the damaged slat. Use a piece of corner molding for covering the removed corner slat.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 14:12   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

What you need is a teak board that is long enough and wide enough to cover over the hole in the bulkhead. It does not need to be very thick. Cut the ends so that it just fits in the space. (This is perhaps where a cardboard template would be useful. You do not want to cut the board too short!) Use screws to hold it in place on the bulkhead. If you want to be fancy you can varnish it before screwing it down.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 15:05   #6

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

Build a small cabinet, magazine rack, spicerack, anything big enough to cover the cutout, screw to the bulkhead.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 17:48   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If it were shiny you could put a little window into whatever you build
Turn it into a decoration
Old 08-08-2023, 19:39   #8

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

First thing I would do is make a cover out of a pine trim board, or even sanded plywood, from a box store. It will cost you like $20 (if you are in the states). If you make a mistake, you can start over for another $20, and when you are done you will know for sure if you are happy with whatever choices you had to make along the way. Then you can commit to getting some nicer wood and doing it for real.

But, grab some stain and a finish coat from the same store while you are there, and you may find it looks good enough that you never bother making the ‘real’ ones.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, teak