Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09   #1

Tayana, Formosa & Hans Cristian

Hi
I am a mareen enginer and in a few years I am planing to go on a wourld trip.
I am realy fond of the idea of buying an old boat and restoring it.
And I realy like the look af thees boats.(secially the Hans Crhistian.
How do they handle, and how long does the plastic last.
Thanks in adwance
Viđar
vidarsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am really fond of the idea of buying an old boat and restoring it.
And I realy like the look af thees boats.(secially the Hans Crhistian.
How do they handle, and how long does the plastic last.
You might like the idea or restoring an old boat but the issues of cost and time for someone without experience can be devastating. An old 50 ft boat might take 2 years of long days and short nights. Having to learn from scratch could add a lot more months or years. I would say a newer version of most any boat you really like will cost more up front but less overall. A lot of people enjoy working on boats more than sailing them. If you buy any boat you'll be working a lot as it is. They all take a lot of work just to maintain things properly. The small projects will satisfy your thought of fixing up an old boat.

Plastic lasts longer than our combined lifetimes. It's all the rest of the stuff that is attached that won't last as long, costs a lot of money, and hard to work on. Buy a boat not as old and sail sooner.

Boat handling relates a lot to the amount of experience you have handling them much like cattle ranching. On the water large boats are fine but in close quarters and when paying fees the larger boats take more effort, time, and a lot more money.

I would get the smallest big boat that works for you and your budget. Work, time, and money all have to add up to make it a fun adventure.

Hang around Cruisers Forum and check out all the information. You can learn a lot here. Find some place to take some sailing lessons. Doing it now means you'll be better later on. Learning and doing is the best way to get ready. You don't just step aboard and go. If you want this to really happen you have to get prepared to make it a great adventure. Doing some sailing now while you learn more is going to make that process fun too. It's possible to start having fun today!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I agree with Paul, but would say that there are moderate-to-good examples out there of the boats you mention for reasonable money.

But do hang out here for awhile before you make any big decisions either about these particular boats or about taking on any "project" boat!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:58   #4

Boat: Boatless
All are good boats. I have a Tayana 55, it is 25 yrs old and the plastic is still as thick and strong as when they built it, close to indestructable. But as Paul says, you do have to fix all the attached bits on a regualar basis. The cost of fixing them is high and goes up with the square of the length. I plan to give it to my grandkids in 15 yrs time but I will have to leave them a trust fund to pay for the upkeep

A fixer-upper will cost, in fixing, at least what you pay for it if not twice what you pay.

While I am biased and I have not sailed a Formosa the Tayanas are better sailboats than the equivalent Hans Christians. Mine is a very fine sailor and in 15 knots+ has been known show a clean pair of heels to a cruising cat.

And do learn to sail properly, I will trade you sailing lessons for boat fixing anytime because I love the sailing and hate the fixing.

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:05   #5

Thank you.
I have been surfing this forum and it really looks like it is a welth of information.
So thies boats are the any good.Specially the Hans Crhistian.?
And thank you for your opinion.
vidarsig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formosa