Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 09:42   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Strataglass vs 'Regular' Isinglass

Hi all,
We're refitting Liberty with a new bimini and dodger. Question is this:

Is Strataglass worth the extra cost for the 3 dodger panels, or is 40 guage "performance roll" regular isinglass good enough?

At least one recommendation was that Strataglass wasn't worth the extra cost, and the special coating they use is gone after the first polishing.

If we don't go with the Strataglass, will we be sorry?

Thanks
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55   #2

Re: Strataglass vs. "regular" isinglass

I've been really happy with strataglass. My wife works professionally in marine canvas and might have some additional thoughts, but our dodger windows are strataglass and they're crystal clear. If I remember correctly they don't fold for beans.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:15   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 41

I had 40mil Strataglass windows on my bridgedeck for 5 years. I felt that the quality and heft was very good. However, for rolling up to enable ventilation in port, they did develop dimples of sorts that began to reduce visibility/clarity. This complaint however would be the same for any rollable vinyl windows. I now have a stiff(er), non, rollable acrylic that is as clear as glass and gives a crisper look to the bridgedeck enclosure. The panels now swing up and latch to the overhead when I need them open.

I suspect that if you go with Strataglass you won't be sorry but might be with the 'regular' isenglass. What did you have in the original dodger?
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36   #4

Re: Strataglass vs 'Regular' Isinglass

Original dodger probably had regular - it is at least 8 years old, probably older. Lasted pretty well, I guess, but time for new.

Our canvas shop in Texas told us (phone consultation) that Strataglass is good stuff, the coating should last years, but that most customers do not pay the $120 per sheet upgrade price for the Strataglass and with proper care the regular stuff has a good long life.
Old 11-08-2011, 21:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
I had 40mil Strataglass windows on my bridgedeck for 5 years. I felt that the quality and heft was very good. However, for rolling up to enable ventilation in port, they did develop dimples of sorts that began to reduce visibility/clarity. This complaint however would be the same for any rollable vinyl windows. I now have a stiff(er), non, rollable acrylic that is as clear as glass and gives a crisper look to the bridgedeck enclosure. The panels now swing up and latch to the overhead when I need them open.

I suspect that if you go with Strataglass you won't be sorry but might be with the 'regular' isenglass. What did you have in the original dodger?
Yeah never mind my above, I have what you have: the non flexible stuff. So nice and clear.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 22:07   #6

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yeah never mind my above, I have what you have: the non flexible stuff. So nice and clear.
Makralon.

The Strataglass is worth it. My dodger has Makralon for the 3 front panels, the middle panel folds up out of the way. I have Strataglass for the side curtains because they are rarely on. Stowed rolled up most of the time. When the Strataglass is on, right next t the Makralon you can see how grainy the Strataglass is. Not terrible. Just that the Makralon is so great. But not cheap.

If you do go with Makralon, make sure your canvas shop has experience with it.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26   #7

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity

Go with the Strataglass! We tried to go the cheap route earlier this year and the material had such a wave (sorta like antique water glass) that you couldn't read channel marker numbers through it. We ended having it removed and replaced after 1 month. The clarity is so much better with the Strataglass.
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 15:24   #8

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

we install Only Strada Glass in all canvas tops we build..
Few years ago i was walking down the dock of another marina when i heard someone say "WHO DID THAT CRAPPY JOB ON THAT BOAT" and they were refering to the window material... luckly I didnt do the job but decided at that time to use nothing but stradaglass.. no matter how nice the project looks, bad window material will make it look like crap.....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 15:29   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Makrolon is a polycarbonate, as is Lexan.

If you look at that, you can also consider an acrylic glass like Plexiglass.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:46   #10

Boat: Norseman 447

We had Makrolon put in the front windows of our dodger 6 years ago. We're full time cruisers and very rarely cover them. They look like they're still new. Our sides had to be made from reg. plastic as Makrolon won't bend in 2 directions. Use plexi polish/protectant always!
Old 12-08-2011, 19:06   #11

THanks all for the responses. Based in part on responses here, we've gotten a bit smarter on this stuff.

In decending order of price/durability, it appears there is Makralon, Strataglass, pressed/polished vinyl sheets, and roll vinyl, in various gauges.

Makralon isn't a good option for us, if only because we roll up the center panel in the dodger up for a breeze through our center cockpit, and Makralon doesn't roll.

Strataglass gets lots of votes here and elsewhere, but runs around $210 per sheet, and we'd need 3 sheets for our dodger. From a couple of professionals in the canvas business, we've been quoted "about $120 to $150 per sheet more for Strataglass".

Pressed/polished vinyl sheets - this is what is being proposed to be used for our dodger, in the Regalite brand. I found it for $105 per sheet (5 sheet minimum) on line somewhere. So, compared to Strataglass, its about 50% the price. What differentiates Strataglass from Regalite is the special coating (scratch/UV resistant) on Strataglass.

Rolled vinyl - this is the cheap stuff, with pretty bad opticals I think, and not what we're proposing to use.

We would use 40 guage, and at this point we are leaning towards NOT paying the extra $315 to $450 for Strataglass ($105 - $150 per sheet difference in cost, times 3 sheets). (Maybe if the HP injection pump wasn't at the shop right now for rebuilding we'd be less price-conscious :-) )

The real test, I guess, would be to do one front corner of the dodger in Regalite, and one in Strataglass, and see how they look in 3 years. I'd consider doing the center panel in Strataglass, and the corner panels in Regalite, but the cone thenter panel is the at will be rolled up and down, and so will get more wear and tear.

Thanks all, and if anyone thinks we're making a bigger-than-$450 mistake by going with the less expensive Regalite vs. Strataglass, please feel free to let us know.

Dave
Old 12-08-2011, 22:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
Go with the Strataglass! We tried to go the cheap route earlier this year and the material had such a wave (sorta like antique water glass) that you couldn't read channel marker numbers through it. We ended having it removed and replaced after 1 month. The clarity is so much better with the Strataglass.
There is no difference in clarity between Isinglass and Strataglass. It is the durability of the Strataglass that you pay for. But yes, there are cheaper materials that are no so very clear.
Old 12-08-2011, 22:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Liberty View Post

Makralon isn't a good option for us, if only because we roll up the center panel in the dodger up for a breeze through our center cockpit, and Makralon doesn't roll.

Strataglass gets lots of votes here and elsewhere, but runs around $210 per sheet, and we'd need 3 sheets for our dodger. From a couple of professionals in the canvas business, we've been quoted "about $120 to $150 per sheet more for Strataglass".

We would use 40 guage, and at this point we are leaning towards NOT paying the extra $315 to $450 for Strataglass ($105 - $150 per sheet difference in cost, times 3 sheets).
You're right. Makralon does not roll up. But you may not have to roll it up. I get the breeze through my center panel simply by making it flat against the underside of the dodger.

I think you may be asking the wrong questions to your professionals, or they aren't asking you the right questions. A sheet of material is 4' X 8'. You should be able to cut out of only 1 sheet to enough to cover your needs.... unless you have a really really big dodger
Old 13-08-2011, 04:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
You're right. Makralon does not roll up. But you may not have to roll it up. I get the breeze through my center panel simply by making it flat against the underside of the dodger.

I think you may be asking the wrong questions to your professionals, or they aren't asking you the right questions. A sheet of material is 4' X 8'. You should be able to cut out of only 1 sheet to enough to cover your needs.... unless you have a really really big dodger

Ditto ours flips under or lays flat on top...Of course Makrolon is actually more money than SG...

Makrolon AR

Old 15-08-2011, 19:43   #15

Boat: Hunter 426

Maine Sail
I love the look of that dodger.
Who do I contact to get one like that.
We just picked up an 04 Hunter 426 here in Connecticut and it has a bimini but no dodger.
tandem tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote