Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2022, 10:15   #31

Re: Strange marks in Hull

I'm wondering if those holes are for a bronze "ground plane " for SSB or Ham radio? (which has been removed) Other possibilities are some sort of refrigeration cooling system.
Or possible large zincs?

I dont believe those Waiquiez's are cored hulls. The ones I considered years ago were not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 10:22   #32

Boat: Bareboat chartering for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Interesting that the photos in the cited listing show the boat with two names: Anaïs and Ganesh.
The holes look too evenly spaced and carefully done to be core sampling. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it also appears that the antifouling paint goes into them. If so, they must have been there before the bottom was painted. Perhaps an intake and drain for the refrigeration system, along with a sink drain or something else? If the boat is in MD, maybe part of an A/C circuit? The photos seemed to show LOTS of batteries.
Ganesh is Fatty Goodlander's Amphitrite. It'd be odd if there were another with that name, there weren't that many built, and I don't think he's selling his boat.

[EDIT: They lifted that last picture from here: http://fattygoodlander.com/corina__other_boats/ganesh it isn't actually of the boat that is for sale]
Llarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 10:32   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
"Cover with epoxy and paint over"? Without determining their origin, purpose and the success of that quest? I think not! A head in the sand attitude IMO. There are heaps of boats for sale that don't have mysterious holes in the hull. I would be looking onward.

Jim
Not only head in the sand but a poor repair?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 11:33   #34

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Drug smuggling

QUOTE=FelisCatus;3562415]Hi all, I have been looking at purchasing my first yacht proper and found one I liked, before I try and initiate a full blown inspection I have been asking what I hope are pertinent questions and asking for photos of everything. Enclosed is a picture of the hull which had me concerned as it seems there have been numerous series of three holes drilled into the hull below the waterline, see photo attached, can anyone tell me what this is? I have a worry it maybe some sort of delamination fix? However I maybe completely wrong. Any ideas gratefully received.[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 12:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
It wouldn't happen to be this boat, would it?

It's been up "for sale" for a while. They were asking a relatively higher price before then they dropped it to the current price.

The interior pics look ok, but as usual, pics can make it look better than it really is in real life. No matter what a salesman tells you, wouldn't be buying this boat w/o looking at it in person.

Still seems like a lot of $$ for a potential project boat. My question for the OP would be how handy are you and could you identify major issues before making a bid? Where are you located?
Funny that the ad claims "Can put in the water and go today." Not sure I'd take them up on that with those holes unless they are bizarrely placed thru-hulls.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 12:13   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
... the mark of dilettantism: misspelling brand and /or designer of one's boat (or of the boat one is interested in). (The pinnacle: "my boat is a Benetton!")
Ahh fair enough, good point, an I for an I
FelisCatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 12:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
It wouldn't happen to be this boat, would it?

It's been up "for sale" for a while. They were asking a relatively higher price before then they dropped it to the current price.

The interior pics look ok, but as usual, pics can make it look better than it really is in real life. No matter what a salesman tells you, wouldn't be buying this boat w/o looking at it in person.

Still seems like a lot of $$ for a potential project boat. My question for the OP would be how handy are you and could you identify major issues before making a bid? Where are you located?
Yes Bill well spotted and good insight, I am very handy skills wise but located quite a long way from the boat in Terra Australis,hence the distance research.
FelisCatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 13:25   #38

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I think they may have been drilled for fitting the bolts that hold the sacrificial anodes.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 13:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelisCatus View Post
Hi all, I have been looking at purchasing my first yacht proper and found one I liked, before I try and initiate a full blown inspection I have been asking what I hope are pertinent questions and asking for photos of everything. Enclosed is a picture of the hull which had me concerned as it seems there have been numerous series of three holes drilled into the hull below the waterline, see photo attached, can anyone tell me what this is? I have a worry it maybe some sort of delamination fix? However I maybe completely wrong. Any ideas gratefully received.
For some reason the picture won't blow up. The name/potential that the add is lifting photos from a very well known cruiser's boat should be a huge red flag. I think you want someone on the ground to look, or to have a buyers broker involved, the latter costs you nothing. They are simply acting as your representative to find you a boat, commission on any sale gets split between the sellers broker and them.

That being said, even with the small picture, you can see the sort of 'halo' ring just outside the hole? and the red colour inside the holes? These are most likely 3 flush mounted thru-hulls. You don't drill a hole into a hull and then bottom paint inside the holes.
Startracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 13:55   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Felis Catus,

Here's a link to another Waukiez, a 42' Centurion's keel repair. If you like the Waukiez boats, this will be of interest to you: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ir-164093.html

Ann
Old 26-01-2022, 13:59   #41

If they protrude through the hull then I perceive that they are for placement of grounding terminals for RF or lightning protection.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 14:15   #42

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I have nothing to offer on what the holes are. I agree it looks too intentional/organized to be random exploratory holes.

Looking at the linked ad and seeing the boat is in Annapolis, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to have the boat looked at by someone for a nominal fee. Way too many sailboat fanatics and professional services concentrated in that area to be too hard.

Good luck
Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 14:30   #43

Boat: Beneteau

They certainly look like drain holes but that's more than would be usual. Is there internal ballast of any type in this model? I've seen holes drilled in bilges before but again that's seemingly too numerous.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 15:15   #44

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I'm dying to know what they are, so get on with it!
Old 26-01-2022, 15:59   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
I have nothing to offer on what the holes are. I agree it looks too intentional/organized to be random exploratory holes.

Looking at the linked ad and seeing the boat is in Annapolis, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to have the boat looked at by someone for a nominal fee. Way too many sailboat fanatics and professional services concentrated in that area to be too hard.

Good luck
Foster
Is it in Annapolis or Solomons Island? If it's in Annapolis I can go take a look at it.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull