Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2022, 06:44   #61

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Strange marks in Hull

"...Waiquez ..."
...interesting...
Old 31-01-2022, 06:47   #62

Could be someone checking hull moisture levels. If a prior survey suggested a wet hull they may have done exploratory borings to see if it was wet. It is a mystery why they would have left them.
I would proceed VERY carefully here.
My suggestion would be find a very good marine surveyor that YOU select and hire (not the salesman or the seller) or a very good repair yard and have him investigate these holes. I would not perform a full survey until this was resolved
If the seller says no run ,dont walk, away
Bbolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 06:56   #63

Once it was determined the ad included pics of other similar boats, this should have been the end of any interest in the boat as a purchase candidate.

Agree with others who’ve speculated cooler, grounding plate or anode.
jnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 07:50   #64

Boat: Omega 36

I think it was an attempt to fix a bluster. This quote from a pro about GRP:
"No yacht has sunk from Osmosis, not that I am aware of anyway, but big blisters will weaken the laminate."
Do not buy.
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 08:04   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelisCatus View Post
Its a GRP hull,1976 Waiquez 43 and unfortunately I am nowhere near the boat to investigate further so am at the mercy of the Sales person currently.There are at least two other areas with the same series of holes which all seem to have been filled in apart from these ones?

I believe its only been on the hard since the start of this winter but I maybe wrong. Sorry information is scant as I am not getting much from the sales chappie and its going to cost me a lot to visit so trying to ascertain if its worth the punt at the moment.
Any boat you wish to approach seriously should be accessible to you. The broker or agent should be very accessible to you AND provide information and background on any issues as significant as holes below the waterline and that information should be verifiable. You did not provide enough material for us to give you a proper response to your actual question. That fact indicates you need to review the examination process and advisedly the mechanics of fiberglass boats and the fittings that serve them. I grew up on wooden boats, periodically built or restored boats through my life and am no once again totally involved in them but I make a point of taking a quiet moment with any boat I examine and doing things such as laying down in the bilge with a flashlight waiting to adjust to what is there to "see" and what that may tell me about this boat etc. Probably the best thing you can do first is sit with yourself and ask "What do I reliably Know about boats" when you answer that honestly you are better equipped to engage in any sort of purchase let alone remote buying which is what you describe yourself doing...Beware of your own willingness to be Beguilled!
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 08:27   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
Or they're nicely faired flushmount through-hulls for water intakes/drains... in which case there's nothing amiss at all. Estimating scale based on the boat stand pad, they look to be about 3/4" diameter.
This. All of my thu-hulls are faired in. While I couldn't blow the picture up very big, it doesn't look at all suspect to me.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 09:27   #67

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

Of course, you would not even think of purchasing a vessel that your own independent surveyor had not inspected and approved, correct? It is bad enough not being there physically to inspect it, but even if you were you should have it inspected by an expert.

Good luck with finding the perfect vessel to take you out on the water!
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 11:16   #68

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

The manufacturer of the boat is spelled wauquiez. A highly regarded French manufacturer. The holes in the photo look like the thruhulls that this same manufacturer put in my hood 38. But 3 in a row!!. Absolutely shocking and good reason to run like hell, unless they are adjacent the head, in which case they are for head intake, head discharge, and sink/shower discharge. But there are even more holes elsewhere in the hull. My goodness, what could they possibly be!
Tom1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 12:23   #69

I for one would most certainly move on...

One could fill them with epoxy...and then worry about them forever...
Or grind them out and fill them properly with layers of glass and epoxy...and then worry about them forever...

Either way, quite practically, it is a worry...
dblk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 20:41   #70

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

If I recall correctly, the holes in my Wauquiez (43’ Amphitrite) were bronze pipe glassed into the hull, then bronze valves where screwed onto the pipes (plus a backing plate of some sort, I am forgetting the exact details). Those three holes look just like mine did, but smaller. And I didn’t have three in a row.
ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:43   #71

Maybe this is relevant
Im an alcoholic
I love the two thirds of our planet
I want to buy an sail
But my strength is not till you sober
Know thy self
Im sure there are others that have this and I’m just wanting kind help because I know I’m or could not be responsible
Thus it keeps my dream further and further away
Any help my dear forum
G
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:01   #72

Being an alcoholic is no fun, but only you can cure the problem and make your dreams become reality. You need to have the strength to go for it and get help.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:35   #73

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Being an alcoholic is no fun, but only you can cure the problem and make your dreams become reality. You need to have the strength to go for it and get help.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull