Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2022, 19:38   #1
Ayb

Boat: 1981 Ganley Ketch
Storage and seating on the stern

I have a lot of projects to tackle on our boat but keep pondering what to do with this storage and occasional seating situation on the stern. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions or ideas or photos of a similar setup done better.

Right now we have these four "chests" which double as a place to sit.

The starboard side one is the propane locker. The other three are just storage (oil, cleaning products, extra line, etc). We have davits behind this and they're part of the backstay (ketch rig), otherwise there's not much there.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the chests with a single piece of furniture that comprises seats and bigger storage compartments without getting in the way of lifting and lowering the dinghy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220312_215628790.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	254515  
Ayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 05:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Storage and seating on the stern

Hmmm.

Each chest is pretty, but together they look clumsy. They are sitting on the boat rather than part of it.

A single "U" shaped bench/locker would fit better.

A single "U" shaped bench/locker would be a tricky construction/cabinet project.

Maybe three straight members, port, transom, starboard, mitered together, with no legs.

Are you ready to take it on? Wood or fiberglass?
Old 17-03-2022, 05:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the way those boxes are strapped down looks very flimsy to my eye..

why four boxes.....why not just one on the very back???

you could probably join two of those boxes together to make one box.....the two on the side look bigger than the one's on the back with those handles...so I'd use those....but I'd find another way to strap them down..two lids might be easier to raise than one...

many possibilities all depending on your craftsman skills...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 06:38   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

These custom f/g lockers that I had recently seen were fairly good to store a lot of gear. Built in, less maintenance and sturdier than wood boxes.
Just an idea.

Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 07:37   #5
Ayb

Thanks! These wooden boxes are the previous owner's solution so I'm debating how to change it, I never liked them though they are practical (no other storage on deck). She's a steel boat and I have no fiberglass skills but I can definitely build furniture out of wood. I was also thinking U-shaped bench with storage but perhaps just the sides makes more sense if I can make them longer like the photo above. I need a better place to mount the life sling as well.
Old 17-03-2022, 08:43   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Based on my limited experience w/steel boats, you most likely would want to weld boxes in or make them modular to be removable to prep/paint the steel deck under the boxes as needed.

Wood in general (ply underlay) will eventually get moisture in it and start to delaminate. There are other newer composite materials (Coosa, etc. that do not absorb water, are much lighter than wood and use the similar wood working skills to tool them. https://phoenixketch.blogspot.com/20...and-coosa.html

Other materials such as structural PVC sheets are less expensive than Coosa, but need some f/g to strengthen them.

You mention that you have no f/g skills, probably because you haven't had to make anything yet out of f/g. It isn't all that hard and here is an example of what we did using cardboard forms. https://phoenixketch.blogspot.com/20...s-propane.html The nice thing with f/g is you can make containers that have no sharp corners, thus reducing impact bruises down the road.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 08:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

my preference would be to have the stern clear to allow easier access to the davits, etc..

You already have the side boxes....so just keep them...I'd fasten the boxes to the deck from inside the box, something sturdy...those little L shaped clamps you have there look like toe catchers to me..I'd cut those round feet off...maybe replace with a 1/4" strip of wood to allow water to run underneath...

You could also paint them.... ???
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 09:30   #8

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Have a look at pontoon boat seating/ storage.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 10:42   #9
Ayb

Thanks again, that f/g locker project looks incredible. Perhaps just boxes on the sides do make the most sense, then I can get to the stern easily and have some extra visibility as well, maybe have an easier time with stern anchor, etc. If I replaced the small chests with longer boxes I won't miss the storage. That seems to be the pontoon boat solution as well, I'll search online for more photos.

Right now these chests are indeed offset from the deck on their legs and then those L brackets strap them down. The deck coating looks good underneath but indeed it's wood touching the deck at each foot and that's not great.

I'm not looking forward to varnishing these chests either way, maybe it's time I learned to weld or work with f/g -- I'm happy that her teak decks are long gone and the only wood that remains is the cockpit seats and chain locker hatch (which in turn will probably need to be replaced or improved soon enough).
Old 17-03-2022, 16:34   #10

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Not a good idea to have weight in the stern,especially outside the waterline length,storage boxes inside the chain plates on deck abeamof the mast is often an exceptional solution ,seating in the stern for occasional use is generally acceptable .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage