Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Stainless Steel trim

Hi All:

I am looking at replacing a few pieces of aluminum trim on my boat with stainless steel. These are decorative pieces with no structural value. They cover the deck/hull joint on the stern of the boat where there is no toerail. Currently they are 1/8" .125 Aluminum. I would like to replace them with stainless steel but am not sure what thickness to use. At the local sheet metal supply store I can find 22 gauge(.03) #4 finish in 4x10 sheets for $160.07 a sheet. I don't think that that will be thick enough. What gauge would anyone knowledgeable recommend?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03   #2

Re: Stainless Steel trim

I would go thicker... .03 will bend, dent, deform very easy. Would some of that convex SS trim work for you? How wide does it have to be?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:48   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

I just found a new source and the price for a 24" x 48" of .104 SS is $200 plus shipping. That is a reasonable price. I grew up working as a carpenter so don't have metal working skills and the pieces that need to be cut are curved. Don't know how to cut it. But I will learn.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:50   #4

is that polished SS? It may make a difference to you.... Not easy to cut without a shear. I would think you could get it cut to size from a local metal seller...?
Do you just need a flat piece 48 x ?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel