Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 06:39   #46

Re: SS Welding for Dummies

One of my best friend's father was a nuclear certified welder,and could literally weld anything. He was always doing repairs and projects for my father, who was also friends with him. To this day, we still kick ourselves for neither of us asking him to teach us how to weld.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 23:32   #47

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: SS Welding for Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc View Post
Something I just discovered today.
I do a little stainless stick welding (amateur status only) for various bits and pieces on my boat. I keep the amps fairly low so I don't blow the thin stuff to pieces and consequently find the rods can be hard to start. I am using standard 316L rods and have discovered that if you heat the tip of the rod with a butane micro torch or similar then they start very easily. I don't know why this should be, but it works for me.
yeah - i use a bit of scrap - i call it the smacking plate, hit it a couple of times to get the tip going then start on the weld...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote