Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2020, 13:01   #31

Boat: Chatam 50
Re: Sourcing 3in, polished 316 stainless Flanges?

https://victory-products.com/pages/s...?q=3%22+flange

Try this if you can't source exactly what you are after. Cut the back part off. This is a good source for all sorts of marine products. I buy from them regularly.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 13:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Even if they can’t weld, they can still turn it from round bar. In college, even when studying electronics, they taught me to make that using a lathe and drill press. There’s no excuse for a machine shop to turn that down other than it being too small a job for them to be bothered with. We see that behavior more and more here in Florida.
Oh my god, stock removal is not the way to approach that job. For a shop to start off with 4 in solid bar and turn it down .....well.....um.....I wont say any more.

Weld square plates onto the correct tube and then turn it all down and buff will bring a product identical to the picture of what is desired. Add holes.
Not that hard, given a lathe and the ability to weld stainless and a high standard of workmanship.

What would one feel is a fair price for a shop (or an individual) to produce 8 of these?

The OP has absolutely no idea......not a clue.....what say the collective mind of the cruisers forum? What is a fair number?
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 16:30   #33

Boat: Adams Carinya 44 - Veloce

I'm based in South Australia (probably half a world away). Thought I'd post our local source for this in the hope it helps someone in future if not our original poster:

https://stattinstainlessshop.com/col...-steel-flanges

These guys are great to deal with, nice family run local business.
Steve Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 16:44   #34

Or of course if they are required in AL then it's basically the same process except for anodizing after completion.
Quickturn anodizing in TN has been great in the past but obviously longer time and anodizing cost.
But they are actually pretty Quick.
So how much per unit in polished stainless and how much in anodized AL?
Old 25-11-2020, 16:55   #35

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

It would be quite simple to weld a tube into a flange, fill-weld the joint (hip) with a MIG torch and turn the weld down on a lathe to exactly replicate the image presented. Polishing the end product is a simple task.

If you were in my town and provided the material, I would weld/machine those up for you as a favour. Machine shops would quote obscene amounts of money for four (or even 8) of those in the hope of seeing you walking out their shop shaking your head. For them, the term “mickey mouse job” comes to mind.

Just for interest, you do know that you should drill a hole in one side of the inserted tube and use a long (grub)screw that goes right through to the other side of the tube to tightly pinch the tube without crushing it?
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 18:14   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Oh my god, stock removal is not the way to approach that job. For a shop to start off with 4 in solid bar and turn it down .....well.....um.....I wont say any more.

Weld square plates onto the correct tube and then turn it all down and buff will bring a product identical to the picture of what is desired. Add holes.
Not that hard, given a lathe and the ability to weld stainless and a high standard of workmanship.

What would one feel is a fair price for a shop (or an individual) to produce 8 of these?

The OP has absolutely no idea......not a clue.....what say the collective mind of the cruisers forum? What is a fair number?
They claim they can’t weld it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 10:19   #37

Boat: Hylas 49

Whitewater marine does custom stainless and is very reasonable
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 10:26   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Whitewater marine does custom stainless and is very reasonable
Define reasonable. Looking at the OP's pic, a 3 inch diameter version of that.....define a reasonable price in your opinion.

If you care to of course.
Old 26-11-2020, 10:44   #39

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leee View Post
https://victory-products.com/pages/s...?q=3%22+flange

Try this if you can't source exactly what you are after. Cut the back part off. This is a good source for all sorts of marine products. I buy from them regularly.

This is a good find actually. Wow
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 10:49   #40

Quote:
The two inch off the shelf non custom units you purchased were how much? Thats a good start point.

I will say that 6 stanchion bases custom from Garhaur priced two weeks ago approx same as what you want but 1.5 inch dia tube was $450 plus tax I imagine but with a 4 week wait. I agree with the previous posts that that garhaur is both excellent and well priced.

I knocked them up because the 4 weeks was a problem.
The 2” version in 316 was $26 each
Old 26-11-2020, 10:51   #41

Boat: Hylas 49

Quote:
Define reasonable. Looking at the OP's pic, a 3 inch diameter version of that.....define a reasonable price in your opinion.

If you care to of course.
They did custom stanching bases for $55 each and a custom folding boarding ladder for about 600
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 10:52   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Make them as nice as you want. The only thing that shows is the plate.
Did you just draw that up girl this thread??

Thank you so much for taking the time to create a picture of them in action

I’m trying to avoid the stub flanges. There are some stub flanges in fiberglass that would be perfect but I was trying for the nice look of one of these stainless or aluminum ones to act as a collar for the 3” OD tubing I have to mount.
Old 26-11-2020, 11:27   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

The “collar” is inside, not visible, nor are the welds.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 13:22   #44

Hmm, I find some of this interesting.
I cant imagine the OP will get "traumatized" by my thoughts on this, I feel it's pretty much on topic. If he is, simply say so and I will desist.

No one will put a price on what they think a fair price of one of these units would be. A custom made unit. Hmpf.

We know a 2 inch unit, likely mass produced in china, off the shelf cost $26. Presumably plus tax. Fantastic price....nigh on mindblowing actually.....if you think on it for a moment.

We know a 1 ,5 inch stanchion base cost $55, presumably custom, presumably plus tax. Over double what the OP paid for his 2 inch unit......and also an excellent price in my mind.

So were i to have a workshop in my backyard that contained mid size lathe, the ability to weld stainless, say mig and arc ( thinking on TIG, be fun to learn more skills) , a cold saw, good drill press 2x72 belt sander , buffing machine .....and all the other misc bits and peices like belts,buffing pads/compounds,drills,shamfers,316 arc rods,high speed tool cutters...etc etc etc what would I charge to knock one of these up?

To very exacting standards i get the impresion.....not the slightest blemish.

Well, how long would it take? I am going to ballpark it at 5 hrs. maybe 4, but I would say 5.....just to be safe.

The material. I dont have exact dimensions....so about 4 1/2 diameter 1/4 plate. Remember it doesent start round,,,,nope, gotta make it round. And about 2 1/2 inches of 3 inch daimeter pipe. Hmpf? I am going to say were I to waste the time pricing it at online metals that would likely be $50....or more, but lets say $50. We wont even think on shipping and tax.

So if I had about $10,000 bucks worth of machinery in my garage, and $50 in material and it takes me 5 hrs to do the job.

Lets say I enjoy this work ( which I do, because I dont need to do it most likely) so would charge $50 in labour. Stupid, I know, but beer money.
So....after all that......

I would say $100 a piece would be an awsome price. $150 a piece would be about right.......and $ 200 a piece a bit steep.

And those numbers are what I consider. Imagine what a business has to pay in expenses on top of what I have: Rent, insurance (likely multiple) workers wages and expenses (workers comp etc etc) power bills, licensing.....and I am sure there are bunch more.

They would likely have the advantage (like me to be honest) that they either have the material in stock or do not pay online metals prices.

All very interesting stuff to consider when someone asks "how much do you think this item is worth custom fabricated by some one (or company) with the machinery and skills ( not insignificant) to do the job to an exacting standard".........and not a single response.

hmpf.
Old 26-11-2020, 13:58   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
The “collar” is inside, not visible, nor are the welds.
I know. I saw you drew a stub flange (collar inside). For styling, I’m trying to do collar outside so it looks more appealing the the dead end of a support column sitting on a flange.

I already bought the 8 (qty) 2in ones from this source in the original post.

I want to try to match that style if possible, even in anodized aluminum if necessary. It frp would be fine too.