Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2022, 06:55   #16

Boat: Allied 42 XL2
Re: Sitex Autopilot

Just to be sure we are talking the same equipment; the controller is a Raymarine SPX Smart Pilot with a Raymarine p70 control head. The communications use SeaTalk ng. When I first got into this problem, I did find the SeaTalk (not the SeaTalk ng) power fuse blown.

The connections are tight, no corrosion on the terminal blocks outside the controller, the wire insulation does not have any cuts, and the voltage output is 7 vdc maximum in both directions.
crosswire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:59   #17

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

I'm fairly sure that your controller does not output 12.6vDC but rather uses PWM to drive the motor. So your VOM is not the tool to measure output, you'd need an oscilloscope.

Your problem sounds hydraulic to me. the prior suggestion to drive the pump directly from a 12v source hard over to hard over should be done. If it works your problem is electronic.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:40   #18

Kenbo,

As the motor has brushes, I assumed it was DC.

I did try driving the pump manually from a 12 vdc source. The wheel would go hard to port but would not move to starboard.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:35   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswire View Post
Kenbo,

As the motor has brushes, I assumed it was DC.

I did try driving the pump manually from a 12 vdc source. The wheel would go hard to port but would not move to starboard.

You’ve got pump problems if you did change the polarity without starboard movement.

Did the pump run with the polarity reversed? Just not move the wheel?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 07:08   #20

I finally got time to remove the pump and check it; almost no oil in the reservoir. Why someone would mount this pump so that checking the oil level could only be done after removing the pump is anyone's guess. I still have not found the missing oil. A pint of oil should leave some mess, right?

Anyway, I refilled the reservoir and the system worked, in reverse, but it drove the wheel both ways. With all the reprogramming attempts, factory resets, and recommissioning's, I apparently got something backwards. I tried both a software polarity swap for the pump motor and a wiring swap at the terminal block; neither worked. I guess it is time for a phone call to Raymarine.

Thanks for pointing me the right direction, you know, the one I was avoiding.
Old 21-10-2022, 11:01   #21

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
I finally got time to remove the pump and check it; almost no oil in the reservoir. Why someone would mount this pump so that checking the oil level could only be done after removing the pump is anyone's guess. I still have not found the missing oil. A pint of oil should leave some mess, right?

Anyway, I refilled the reservoir and the system worked, in reverse, but it drove the wheel both ways. With all the reprogramming attempts, factory resets, and recommissioning's, I apparently got something backwards. I tried both a software polarity swap for the pump motor and a wiring swap at the terminal block; neither worked. I guess it is time for a phone call to Raymarine.

Thanks for pointing me the right direction, you know, the one I was avoiding.

Can you verify that the rudder sender wiring is correct?
Old 21-10-2022, 11:07   #22

Boat: Norseman 447

If your rudder feedback is mounted upside down, you need to switch the red and green wires. Guess how I know!
Old 22-10-2022, 05:31   #23

I will check the wires. However, the pilot was working properly until, as I recently found out, it ran low on oil. The rudder indicator was working correctly then, and I have not moved any wiring on that unit, but the indicator is backwards now. The change from correctly indicating to backwards occurred while I was messing with the setup and commissioning of the control head.

Thanks
Old 22-10-2022, 08:54   #24

Pages 43-46 Dockside Setup Checks the rudder sender polarity.

https://media.hudsonmarine.co.uk/upl...structions.pdf
Old 22-10-2022, 09:37   #25

Deblen, which manual do you have? My P70 manual starts dockside wizard on page 27. I have followed those instructions several times. If I turn the wheel to center, port, stbd, then center, I get a task failed message. If I continue, the drive turns the wheel to port and does not stop at the limit but keeps driving until the motor stalls. if I turn the wheel to center, stbd, port, then center, I get a task successful message, and the drive works correctly but in reverse.

When the instructions say, turn the rudder to port, I am assuming that means turn the rudder as if turning the boat to port.
Old 22-10-2022, 09:41   #26

Deblen, I found the link to your manual. It appears to be an updated copy of the manual I have downloaded. The instructions for the dockside wizard appear to be the same in both manuals.
Old 23-10-2022, 03:13   #27

Quote:
Deblen, I found the link to your manual. It appears to be an updated copy of the manual I have downloaded. The instructions for the dockside wizard appear to be the same in both manuals.

https://media.hudsonmarine.co.uk/upl...structions.pdf

Follow the steps in chapter 7 or chapter 8-whichever pilot model you have.
Do not skip any steps.
Do not proceed to the next step if there are problems with the current step.Fix the problem before moving on.

Good luck/Len
Old 23-10-2022, 06:47   #28

Len,

I have been using the instructions in chapter 8, commissioning SPX. The first task in section 8.6 on page 55, checking rudder alignment, generates a task failed message if I move the rudder as instructed. I can only eliminate this error if I reverse the rudder movement instructions in the rudder alignment section of 8.6. In other words, changing instruction 2 to read move rudder to starboard, rather than port, and changing instruction 3 to read move rudder to port, rather than starboard.

I have not found any printed information on how to eliminate the task failed message.

I have initiated several factory resets, including a power cycle to the control head and the SPX after a reset.

I have checked all the wiring for loose or corroded connections. I have checked the connections for the rudder position indicator and the flux gate compass. I have checked the three fuses in the SPX; the 3-amp Seatalk ng fuse was blown. I have checked the voltage at various points in the system.

The system seems to work; except, the rudder is driven the wrong direction for the course change given. I have tried switching the motor polarity using the setup menu. I have tried switching the motor leads. I will try reversing the rudder reference signal today; I have not tried it before.

The pump delivers plenty of power to the hydraulic cylinder as it can pull the wheel out of my hands.
Old 23-10-2022, 11:07   #29

Quote:
Len,

I have been using the instructions in chapter 8, commissioning SPX. The first task in section 8.6 on page 55, checking rudder alignment, generates a task failed message if I move the rudder as instructed. I can only eliminate this error if I reverse the rudder movement instructions in the rudder alignment section of 8.6. In other words, changing instruction 2 to read move rudder to starboard, rather than port, and changing instruction 3 to read move rudder to port, rather than starboard.

I have not found any printed information on how to eliminate the task failed message.

I have initiated several factory resets, including a power cycle to the control head and the SPX after a reset.

I have checked all the wiring for loose or corroded connections. I have checked the connections for the rudder position indicator and the flux gate compass. I have checked the three fuses in the SPX; the 3-amp Seatalk ng fuse was blown. I have checked the voltage at various points in the system.

The system seems to work; except, the rudder is driven the wrong direction for the course change given. I have tried switching the motor polarity using the setup menu. I have tried switching the motor leads. I will try reversing the rudder reference signal today; I have not tried it before.

The pump delivers plenty of power to the hydraulic cylinder as it can pull the wheel out of my hands.

Section 8.6 pg 55 Check rudder alignment:
1. Autopilot in Standby
2. Using steering wheel,center the rudder ,check rudder position is centered by eye & push OK
3. Using steering wheel,turn wheel hard to port,verify rudder moved to port hardover with eye & press OK

If rudder moved to stbd,you must reverse the 2 hydraulic lines at helm or ram.
If rudder physically moved to port,but rudder meter shows stbd,you must swap the 2 "outside" wires of the rudder sender.

I note you said the 12v 3Amp Seatalk fuse was blown.The manual shows a 5Amp fuse & says you can't do the Dockside setup unless Seatalk is working.

Read the note in blue about older SPX Dealer Settings setup. does it apply to you? Sect 8.7

Cheers/Len
Old 23-10-2022, 11:32   #30

The SPX I have came with 3 amp fuses, so that is what I used. However, the problem has been found! Yea! Some idiot, who will remain nameless, had reversed the rudder reference signal at some point. Apparently, that is not a parameter that resets with a factory reset. With that corrected and a new set to default, setup, calibration, and commissioning the unit seems to work just as expected. So, in the end, the rudder position was the problem, but for an unexpected reason.

The check rudder alignment still gives a task failed message for invalid numbers, but I ignored it and was able to complete the commissioning without any further errors.

Many thanks to everyone who helped with this problem.

Tags
autopilot