Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 17:58   #1

Sewing machine

Saw this machine at costco for $150.
My intention is to use it for small fabric repairs and canvas works. I do not have the skill to fix sails so if it can take sails material it is not important for me.
Anybody bas experience with this machine?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181029-WA0000.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	179863  
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 18:48   #2

Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Re: Sewing machine

"Service under the above warranties may be obtained by returning the sewing machine with this
warranty document and proof of purchase to the Authorized SINGER® Sewing Specialty Retailer
from whom the machine was purchased or to a SINGER® SERVICE CENTER. Please consult
the enclosed list of centers or contact the Singer Sewing Company to obtain the location nearest
you."

Depending on where you are located the machine may have to be shipped or returned to an "Authorized Warranty and Repair Center"(there is a list on Singers web-site). They are few and far between. For instance I believe there is only one in Florida located in Brandon near Tampa and it looks like they only accept walk-ins.
I am certified to service Pfaff, Babylock and Brother machines and it is frustrating when I have to tell Singer owners about their warranty policy. But at $150 - $200 dollars I would consider it a throw away after the warranty expires.
I personally do not know about this specific machine or if it would be strong enough for canvas work.
Old 29-10-2018, 19:57   #3

I would say invest more money and buy a better machine, there are a lot out there.
I have an old kenmore. Necchi are a good old machine as well.
A friend of mine was looking at getting his bimini, dodger and lee cloths re sewn. I talked with him and talked him into doing it himself. He bought a Sailrite for less than he was looking at being charged for the repair. He learned to sew, has a new skill and still has a machine that will last him a lifetime.
Craigslist will likely turn up a much cheaper unit to learn on if you want. It's amazing how many layers of sunbrella you can push through a $50 singer!
Good luck
Ralph
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 21:01   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

We couldn't afford the sailrite machine, so looked around and bought a Janome HD. Very basic all mechanical with steel drive train and aluminum body. It has no problems with 5 layers of sunbrella and a plastic window at the same time. Used it to see new cushions throughout the boat as well. This involved in sewing through 4 layers of marine vinyl which it also did with ease.

YouTube has videos of people sewing through wood yardsticks with these things.

Look for a heavy duty machine with no electonic gizmos. Most can handle thicker cloth and even some sail work with care. Old thrift store units can be good, but note a good older machine will likely be very heavy due to the solid steel construction.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 21:25   #5

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur5 View Post
We couldn't afford the sailrite machine, so looked around and bought a Janome HD. Very basic all mechanical with steel drive train and aluminum body. It has no problems with 5 layers of sunbrella and a plastic window at the same time. Used it to see new cushions throughout the boat as well. This involved in sewing through 4 layers of marine vinyl which it also did with ease.

YouTube has videos of people sewing through wood yardsticks with these things.

Look for a heavy duty machine with no electonic gizmos. Most can handle thicker cloth and even some sail work with care. Old thrift store units can be good, but note a good older machine will likely be very heavy due to the solid steel construction.
What version do you have? I was just looking at the hd1000 but was unsure if its heavy duty enough to handle building a cockpit enclosure. Nice to see someone out there using something other than a sail rite machine
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 21:56   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

When I bought my machine I went to a sewing machine repair place and asked if they had a "loaner" which they did. When I asked why the particular machine had been chosen as a "loaner" he proprietor replied that it was because it was a fairly simple design and had all metal gearing and consequently could handle a lot of abuse. I bought the machine and have treasured it for about eighteen years now. I have found that the limitation on what it will sew is the needles as they tend to break with to many thicknesses of sail cloth.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:00   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

That machine is all plastic with a piece of polished SS on the free arm and a gray hammertone paint job on the plastic.

There's nothing heavy duty or commercial about it.

Steve

Certified Bernina Sewing Machine Technician

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:15   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
What version do you have? I was just looking at the hd1000 but was unsure if its heavy duty enough to handle building a cockpit enclosure. Nice to see someone out there using something other than a sail rite machine
Janome HD1000. It'll handle a cockpit enclosure just fine.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 22:33   #9

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
Saw this machine at costco for $150.
My intention is to use it for small fabric repairs and canvas works. I do not have the skill to fix sails so if it can take sails material it is not important for me.
Anybody bas experience with this machine?
Thanks
I wouldn't bother. It can handle a napkin or two but anything heavier say bye bye and buy a new one..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 09:48   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur5 View Post
Janome HD1000. It'll handle a cockpit enclosure just fine.

As will most decently made home sewing machines.

I just get irritated with all the sales hype over "heavy duty" and "commercial grade" BS.
You can find that exact same Singer (without the SS plate and paint job) in any thrift store for under $20.

You would be much better off buying a Kenmore from the '70's or Singer 301 or 401.
Any Singer after about #500 and you risk getting one with plastic gears. Don't go there !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 10:08   #11

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

I have been doing the home made sail and canvas thing for maybe 30 years and believe most others can do modest jobs. The points I would make are 1. for sails zig-zag stich is important. 2. Hight and length of under arm bigger is better. 3. weight of unit heavy is better than light(working in small area there can be a lot of pull on work) .4.A powerful feed unit and walking foot is better than typical home units. 5. A long 4-5mm straight stich option is better than short stich. 6. A used light commercial type provided good function will be a good choice and with patients one will pop up at reasonable price. 7. You will have to tinker with the machine to adjust and maintain it is as important as learning how to sew since most machines used for this purpose are easily thrown out of adjustment during heavy duty work and the lighter the machine the more likely. Professional help is expensive inconvenient in the middle of a project and expensive.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 17:10   #12

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

I had success using a 1960s "badged" Japanese machine for covers and sail repair. It will not stitch heavy corners of sails. I think the machine cost me $5 perhaps 20 years ago. You can still find good mid century machines for under $50.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewing machine