Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2022, 15:11   #1

Boat: Hunter, Passage, 42
Seaward Products Water Heater Life Expectancy

Boat - Hunter Passage 42 - 1996

I was told by a friend that the water heater is connected to the engine heat exchanger and on a friends boat it went out and created a major problem with the engine cooling system. Based on this going to buy a new one and swap it out, I don't believe its ever been changed so 26 years old!

Was curious if anyone new life expectancy for a water heater, see below for specs.

Manufacturer - Seaward Products
Model - F-600
Serial Number - 843793

I would call Seaward but they are out of business.

Thanks!
peterlee12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 15:29   #2

Re: Seaward Products Water Heater Life Expectancy

Our boats (Catalina 34, mine is an original 1986, were made until 2007, 1,801 hulls, I'm the Secretary of the Association) all had Seaward water heaters.

The reported life spans of these heaters is from 10-16 years. While that seems a wide span, lots depends on use and care.

My boat was 12 years old when I bought it in 1998. IIRC the PO had just put a new heater in. In any event, I put a new one in in 2013, when I'd had the boat for 15 years.

While that's my own experience, it is reflected in reports from the thousands of different C34 owners I have known and "met" on our C34 forum. It is also experience from C36 skippers I have known.

Care & use: Even if there is no hot water, get into a habit of turning the HOT faucet when you need water. It keeps crud from building up inside the heater. Make sure, as you've learned, to replace the hoses to & from the engine if they go out of sight under a sole, because it is your engine cooling system.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 22:05   #3

Thanks for the info!

How often would you say cooling system hoses should be changed. Peace of mind on the engine is somthing I don’t mind investing in!

Do you recommend any other brands for water heaters, not sure if seaward is around anymore, according to google they are closed.

Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2022, 00:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Changed ours in 2009 when I found a soft spot were they go through a bulkhead. No sign of problems when I last looked at Easter.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:53   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

We sold our 1990 last year, original water heater. All I ever changed was the element. Current boat 1994 with original heater. YMMV. Like a home water heater there are ways to keep it alive longer, and there are telltale signs of pending doom.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:17   #6

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

My Seaward lasted 22 + years. Only changed it as a precaution.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:23   #7

Boat: Nonsuch 30U

Try the Kuuma 6 gal unit. Available at West Marine and others
Joesail2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:31   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW, we installed a Force10 HWH in 2004. It uses both eng fresh water cooling loop, or elect(230v). We've had absolutely no issues with it since installation, and have not had to replace anything yet-and always plenty of hot water (sometimes it's to hot; we installed an anti-scald device on the shower!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:41   #9

I put 2 simple shutoff ball valves near the engine for the two hosed that go to the hot water heater. That way if there is ever a problem with the hoses or heater it doesn't effect the engine cooling. One could also have a spare hose to make a loop to the two engine connection points of the heater hoses.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:41   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

Seaward is part of Whale pumps now and the heaters still made and available, Defender has many in stock. Might note that the different "types", galvanized, stainless or painted epoxy only applies to the cover not the tank, so it's just for appearance and cheapest galvanized is fine for hidden locations.
https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...=Water-Heaters
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:44   #11

Appreciate the help on this. Going to change just as a precaution.

I forget what engine we have but the heat exchanger was “designed” without zincs. We had the heat exchanger taken out a few years back and inspected and “refurbished” whatever that means. Any recommendations on service timeline for a zincless heat exchanger. Engine is a Yanmar, I’ll post exact the spec shortly.
Old 09-07-2022, 08:22   #12

Whale now makes the Seward in US. Don't buy the China brand from West Marine. Don't know how old my Seward was. My IP was 30 years when I purchased. All Sewards are aluminum tanks with different covers. Bought a galvanized from Defender and swapped the SS cover off the existing.
Windspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee12345 View Post
Thanks for the info!

1) How often would you say cooling system hoses should be changed. Peace of mind on the engine is somthing I don’t mind investing in!

2) Do you recommend any other brands for water heaters, not sure if seaward is around anymore, according to google they are closed.

Thanks again!

1)

Hot water heater hose replacement
UNDER THE GALLEY SOLE

If your hoses wear out, you lose ALL engine coolant, and your engine will pack it in. Really!!!

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3769.0.html

2) Seaward is "middle of the pack" and a good compromise for cost vs. reasonable longevity. You do NOT need the ss cover, waste of money. Kuuma is bottom of the barrel, shorter life. Isotemp or Isotherm (I keep forgetting which) is top of the line with better insulation and a tempering valve to avoid scalds, but a different shape that could challenge an easy swap out.

Shop wisely: I did heavy duty comparison shopping for the Seaward S600 rear connection water heater, and found prices all over the place, from $246 from Sure Marine in Seattle all the way up to $350 and more!

The installer of the old heater had done a smart thing: He had connected a few feet of 5/8” hose at the back of the heater so that the connections to the hoses from the engine would be easier to access. I did heavy duty comparison shopping for the Seaward S600 rear connection water heater, and found prices all over the place, from $246 from Sure Marine in Seattle all the way up to $350 and more!
I did heavy duty comparison shopping for the Seaward S600 rear connection water heater, and found prices all over the place, from $246 from Sure Marine in Seattle all the way up to $350 and more!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:18   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee12345 View Post
Appreciate the help on this. Going to change just as a precaution.

I forget what engine we have but the heat exchanger was “designed” without zincs. We had the heat exchanger taken out a few years back and inspected and “refurbished” whatever that means. Any recommendations on service timeline for a zincless heat exchanger. Engine is a Yanmar, I’ll post exact the spec shortly.
There is no need for a zinc on a fresh water cooled engine. The coolant is a mix of antifreeze and fresh water. Antifreeze is also an anticorrosive and lubricant.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:19   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

2) Seaward is "middle of the pack" and a good compromise for cost vs. reasonable longevity. You do NOT need the ss cover, waste of money. Kuuma is bottom of the barrel, shorter life. Isotemp or Isotherm (I keep forgetting which) is top of the line with better insulation and a tempering valve to avoid scalds, but a different shape that could challenge an easy swap out.
It's Isotemp - Isotherm are refrigerators.

Johnson Pump also make an excellent water heater.
https://www.spxflow.com/johnson-pump...water-heaters/

All stainless and I think a bit better than Isotemp. We sell both as well as Kuuma, Whale/Seaward, Torrid, and Raritan. The Johnson has the best insulation I have seen - very little heat loss over time. All stainless steel.

Aluminum is the worst possible material for a water heater or water tank.

And as posted make sure you add a mixer valve to whichever one you choose. Water heated by the engine can top 180 F.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
award, heater, seaward, water