Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2020, 13:31   #1

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Saildrive Corrosion

After some advice please.

The plan was to slip, possibly replace the saildrive hull seals and antifoul in about 5 months time however while removing some growth from the Volvo saildrives recently I realised that some of the antifouling was coming detached from the saildrive leaving some aluminium exposed. The zinc anodes are in excellent condition. The boat is exposed to fairly warm salt water. The props are s/steel and painted with prop speed.

I am trying to avoid slipping immediately (locally) and then again in only 5 months as I plan to have the saildrive hull seals done in a significantly larger boatyard with much better facilities several hundred miles away.

In your opinion are the exposed areas of saildrive likely to suffer from significant damage from corrosion in only 5 months?

Brian
tpkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 13:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Saildrive Corrosion

Brian, a great tool is a silver electrode. You hang it over the side, connect your multimeter between it and the bonding, and if you've got 1.0 volts, your anodes are protecting everything below the waterline. They cost about $125, and are great peace of mind.
Old 16-01-2020, 13:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Here's one for $130. I think it's the one I use.

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html
Old 16-01-2020, 16:22   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We sand our saildrive to bare aluminum and prop speed them,,, last round was eastern and then western Caribbean, no growth, a few bare spots, no corrosion.. I wouldn't worry,
And id use prop speed on the drives as well!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 16:37   #5

Bottom paint will do very little or nothing to prevent corrosion on aluminum saildrives, and if the wrong paint is used, will accelerate it. Copper and Aluminum do NOT play well together in salt water. Is the bottom paint you used compatible with aluminum?

Also, saildrives are very susceptible to stray current corrosion. They can be totally destroyed in WEEKS not months if enough electrons are going the wrong way. The first symptom of this can be blowing off the paint.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 00:37   #6

Boat: Boatless :( (for now)

Hi Brian,

I think you are concerned about the bare aluminium exposed to the water and excess corrosion because of this?

Shouldn't be a problem, I'd say you'll have a nice friendly barnacle looking after that spot for you next time you go down!

If you were having paint blowing off previously then there may be an electrolysis issue, but paint on anything metal under the water never wants to stay there as well as glass/timber.

Often because sail drives are odd shapes they don t get the surface prep they should and hence paints wont stick as well as they should too.

If it is corroding, you will see black pitting. Next time to give it a rub, Scotch-brite the area and the aluminium will go shinny and if there is serious corrosion it will be obvious.

Highly doubt it will be an issue, especially if you've got an eye on it.

Good luck with it!
boatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 22:38   #7

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Thank you all for your replies.

Since I'm not in an area with high stray electrical current and I've never had corrosion issues before (when I had aluminium props) I think I'll rely on the "friendly barnacle" protection plan but will keep a close eye on it.

Regards to all,

Brian
tpkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 02:47   #8

Hi, Looking at an aluminium boat with a saildrive. How bad does this look to any more experienced eyes around here ?
vicbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 02:58   #9

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicbusiness View Post
Hi, Looking at an aluminium boat with a saildrive. How bad does this look to any more experienced eyes around here ?
sorry - was there supposed to be a pic attached ?

cheers,

Tags
corrosion, sail, saildrive