Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2022, 14:53   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: sailboat railing: metal railing or metal rope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Thirty some odd years ago the Naval Academy did an engineering study on lifeline failures/causes.
Their findings should be apparent to anyone with a passing knowledge of the forces involved.
The crux was that the vast majority of "lifeline failure" was the lifelines going slack because of flexation of the bow/stern pulpits, and that leads to stanchion failure.
If the lifelines cannot go slack then the stanchions cannot bend outboard.
Bow/stern pulpits need to be triangulated in such a way as to resist any forces that tend to collapse them in an inboard direction.
Another finding: Looking down the boat lengthwise, do the stanchions lean outboard?
If so it takes less force to collapse them outboard, just a relatively small amout of flex in the pulpits leads to failure.
I presume that study was on larger ships. On smaller sailboats, lifelines can certainly go slack and bend the stanchions inwards.

In my experience, the vast majority of problems with lifelines on the sort of vessels sailed by most forum members is the result of them being pulled inwards or upwards resulting in bending and damage to the stanchions/stanchion bases.
The geometry is obvious if you look at the way the lieflines curve around the vessel. Anything other than an outward force puts major stress on the two adjacent stanchions.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 15:49   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I have two solid handrails across the front of my Cat, 25mm Stainless steel,
My offsider was leaning over to catch a mooring ball,

40 knot winds and about a metre and a half waves,

She leaned onto the railing on one side and it snapped completely off, Resulting in my first ever, MOB,

The welds on the bottom of the Rails was for show only, It was a wash weld, Looked pretty, But had no strength in them,

My posts down the side with wire thru them, Were all the same, Flimsy wash welds,

You wont know how solid they are untill you lean heavily on them,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 16:00   #18

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

For a heavier vessel solid railings instead of wire lifelines would be safer and I think preferable. They should not interfere with sheeting of sails such as a spinnaker or code zero any more than normal lifelines however you must consider how you will tack the sail at the bow.

On our vessel in which we take care to keep it light we use dyneema lifelines. The extra weight of 80 ft of stainless railing was not acceptable.

We do however have a section of railing aft on which we mount solar panels.

With lifelines there is considerable extra stress on a stanchion if someone pulls heavily on the lifeline to climb up or falls against it. We ensure that the bases and backing plates are very strong. If someone says, "Can I pull on this?" I answer, "Yes, it is meant to be strong enough." In 35 years none have been broken that way.
Old 03-06-2022, 16:35   #19

A tall [one meter high] solid rail on top provides for an excellent hand hold. While three taught lifelines of the sort illustrated in the attached picture should be spaced evenly below the solid rail to aid in snagging any wayward crew or passenger [or children] that might fall and thence slide towards the edge of the deck. The barbed lifelines mitigate against slipping between the lifelines better than the standard unbarbed lifelines found on most production boats.

Or so I have been told by my rancher / sailor friends.

If one adds insulators or non-conducive posts one can electrify the barbed lines, tends to keep pirates and thieves from boarding.

They also toss a lariat to catch a piling or a cleat when docking. Easiest way to attach a spring line from 10 meters away.

Yee Ha!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbed-wire-fence.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	258889  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 17:58   #20

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
A tall [one meter high] solid rail on top provides for an excellent hand hold. While three taught lifelines of the sort illustrated in the attached picture should be spaced evenly below the solid rail to aid in snagging any wayward crew or passenger [or children] that might fall and thence slide towards the edge of the deck. The barbed lifelines mitigate against slipping between the lifelines better than the standard unbarbed lifelines found on most production boats.

Or so I have been told by my rancher / sailor friends.

If one adds insulators or non-conducive posts one can electrify the barbed lines, tends to keep pirates and thieves from boarding.

They also toss a lariat to catch a piling or a cleat when docking. Easiest way to attach a spring line from 10 meters away.

Yee Ha!
So who taught your lifelines and what did they teach them?
Old 03-06-2022, 20:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
So who taught your lifelines and what did they teach them?

Home schooled by a prison yard teacher;

What we learned: Everything is T'aint Right, T'aint Fair, T'aint Fit, T'aint Proper

As to spell checking - Let me meme.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spell checker.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	258891   Click image for larger version

Name:	spell check.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	258892  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 20:25   #22

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Home schooled by a prison yard teacher;

What we learned: Everything is T'aint Right, T'aint Fair, T'aint Fit, T'aint Proper

As to spell checking - Let me meme.

Hahahahahahaha Thats Hilarious,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 21:14   #23

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I've had both and would never have metal or dyneema lifelines. If the metal rail is constructed properly with quality materials you're done barring an accident. They're solid.

As far as obstructing the sail my opinion is that if they are both the same height, the tube rail is better as there is nothing sticking up to catch a sail on. Don't remember ever catching a spinnaker on my old boat which had wire rope.

As far as making them, having them made a buddy a long time ago decided to be the 1st person I'd ever seen do this on his Tayana 37. He went to Home depot and bought a bunch of flexible copper tubing. Stretched it out on the top of his current lifeline post and marked where the posts went. Took it to the shop and said make these please. They did and dropped perfectly into place.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 22:21   #24
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind View Post
Hi

Currently the schooner I'm purchasing has the standard 2-lines 50cm high railing that you see on most production boats.

Some cruisers that I fancy a bit, like for instance Amels, often have 3-line metal railings,, which are higher, and which I think to be safer for the children.

Will it be in the way with the assymetric spinnaker/code0 ?

Your thoughts?
thanks
A
While tube lifelines should be better I worry about a misplaced sense of security because of them. I consider all lifelines as a warning/ barrier; I never depend on them and brief crew likewise. Seeing racing "rail meat" leaning against them runs chills up my spine.

My sole experience was leaning up against my friend's lifeline stanchion and bent it badly. Luckly, he reacted quickly and saved me from falling overboard. I don't trust either.
Old 04-06-2022, 01:15   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
While tube lifelines should be better I worry about a misplaced sense of security because of them. I consider all lifelines as a warning/ barrier; I never depend on them and brief crew likewise. Seeing racing "rail meat" leaning against them runs chills up my spine.

My sole experience was leaning up against my friend's lifeline stanchion and bent it badly. Luckly, he reacted quickly and saved me from falling overboard. I don't trust either.

If you ever owned a motorboat with decent tubular railings you’d never go back to the nonsense that passes for “ trip lines “ that pass for life lines on yachts

A good welded railing is far stronger then the wire as the horizontal tube adds to the whole strength whereas wire does not

Amel have it right
Old 04-06-2022, 02:28   #26

ty for all the replies
I'll probably go for:

solid top rails with 2 or 3 ss lines in-between (depending of the height of the toe-rail, height 30inches
andprobably no netting, because they are 10yo and older
A
Aravind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:17   #27

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I have been changing out top lifelines for 1” stainless rails for a few years. If your stanchions are 1” symmetrical then fittings will allow a continuous run up to 24’. The hand feel is very solid.
I’ve done 3 Irwin’s (38’ 43’ 46’) 1 Island Packet and 1 Leopard 39 cat. I had to replace the stanchions on the Leopard but lucked into bases that accepted the upright tube without replacement.
If you’re concerned about kids and or pets then adding netting is often the proper course.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:21   #28

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I agree that tubular railings with a lower lifeline are the best option. But if they're impractical for any reason, good lifelines kept tensioned adequately and with strong stanchions will do.

My boat (power) has a mix. Solid rail for the foredeck and aft, but lifelines up the sides. Mine are all 30" tall, so reasonably secure and I keep the lifelines tight enough that it's no big deal to hold onto them like a railing.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:43   #29

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post

We each have our own inner fears. Seeing my racing crew lined up on the weather rail is not one of mine; I have ensured that the lifeline system is strong and I depend on it, as do my crew. In 35 years of hard racing nobody has fallen off and in all that sailing no lifeline has failed for any of us on board.

BTW, none of my crew are "rail meat", they all have positions and responsibility.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crew on Rail 2 DSC_0214s.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	258912  
Old 04-06-2022, 06:45   #30

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I think 'lifelines' is a dumb name as no way are they going to save anyone's life.
I think a new name should be found just as we started calling 'lifejackets' PFDs because they would keep you afloat but not necessarily keep you alive.

Mine are FSWR - swaged eyes at each end but secured with 'small stuff' lashings at the after end. Means they are easy to tension and you can - if trying to recover someone - cut the lashings and drop the lines to make things easier.
If you starting seeing rust staining on the wire where it exits the swage it is time to renew them. Mine seem to have a life of about 20 years or so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2670.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	258913  

Tags
boat, rope, sail, sailboat