Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2006, 17:10   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Never trust online data (profiles) Alan, sometimes the machine gets creative and resets bits on its own. Or perhaps, we're all dogs online and that was counted in dog years.<G>

We have a flawed system, but overall still one of the best. I think I'm more concerned by the fact that exploiting the system, rather than improving it, seems to be the way everyone wants to go.

The BBY stores I've been too often remind me of a zoo. Incredibly loud music, beyond what I'd expect OSHA to allow, mass disarray and often hard to make any decision on any basis except "Woh, that looks cool". But then again, I'm not looking for a 64" plasma screen so maybe I'm just not the target customer. I also don't really like haggling, and I know that in most of those type of stores, I either have to shop the hell out of something and then try to haggle for it, or bring in newspaper ads to prove it (and that's when the "but its a different model" cues in) or...What can I say, I'm not into the sport of competitive shopping. Or the alternative, getting stuck with the random choices of some guy in a vest. (No commission? No weekly awards? These folks are just flipping burgers, so to speak??!)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 17:37   #17

Re: Reticulated vs Regular Foam - Seat Cushions

Hi y’all !

For my 2cents:

1) think of reticulated foam as open cell on steroids. Lots of open cell foam can still absorb water, but well made reticulated foam uses a process of “controlled explosion” by injecting and igniting gas in the foam to blow out cell walls.

2) more importantly for this discussion is the various pricing. Y’all are correct that some online B2C quotes very high on their sites. But even without this, there is difference in reticulated foam quality by looking (or asking) for the density. Density is different than compression (Soft, medium , hard, hard/hard). Density is how much material is in it. You can have an extremely low density firm foam, but it not going to last. Most reticulated foam in USA is 1.3-1.5, though there is higher quality at 1.7-1.9. If someone is giving you a high price for a 1.3, watch out. That is why it is very hard to compare sheets at one place vs. sheets at another.
Paparuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 17:41   #18

I use reticulated above and below deck for two reasons.
1) there is moisture below deck (especially on older boats like mine) and I want it to drain thru the Sunbrella acrylic and Eqodry reticulated foam as fast as possible, and not absorb.

2) Many times I carry cushions from down below to the deck to lounge, and in case if sudden rain, great to have them dry quickly.
Paparuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 06:09   #19

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

I am looking to do all new interior cushions and covers in my 21' daysailor/weekender as part of its refit/recovery from neglect.

-for the side berths I am thinking 2.6# denisty x 60# compression(extra firm) in 3"
-the same in the v-berth with 1" 3# denisty x 31# compression (softer) foam on top of that for 4"
-would use some more of the 1" for seatbacks for the side berths.
-maybe a small piece of reticulated for cockpit cushions as well

I am a bigger guiy in a smaller boat hence the higher compression foam in thinner thicknesses. Much more and I will not be able to sit upright in the side berths.

I am wondering about the necessity of acrylic (Sunbrella) type fabrics, would a decent polyester 'boat cover' style cloth do?
I am relatively close (3 hour round trip) to the Rochford Supply mentioned earlier in the thread. They seem to have many products and their prices look good...and they also offer closeouts and seconds on fabrics which appeals to my frugal nature. Since the boat is a reboot of a kit boat from the 70's, going over the top with high-end everything seems out of place, I am trying for a 'nice and serviceable' feel if that makes sense.

I have made RV cushion covers before but nothing 'marine grade' and will be using a home sewing machine (Viking/Husqvarna) so I will need to line us the right size needles and thread as well.

Thanks for the read and your thoughts!

Tags
cushions