Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 12:05   #91

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat
Re: restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

Yes, the boat can be fixed. But to do it properly, you are going to tear out an unknown part of the floors and furniture of the hulls. (The one photo of the sail drive suggests that its mounts are damaged also. How about the rudders and posts?)

The old damaged glass will have to be entirely removed--you don't put new glass on top of old damaged glass. You will have to grind out 1:6 tapers into good glass on inside and outside. This means that you will be semi making molds (using some flexible wood like coated doorskins, coated) to start the process in the curves of the hull. If there is a "grid" that is also a major consideration--it will have to be restored. I would personally be using epoxy to get more strength and bonding. You will not know how far those damaged cracks go until you get in and grind.

Also the "main beams" have not been assessed, and they carry a lot of the structural load. Why did the mast go down? That bothers me--under sized rigging, failure of one or two chainplates etc. What happened to the old mast? How badly was it damaged? I agree even for a fully rigged mast (used-and really unknown condition) seems high. I would rather find the old mast, buy a new extrusion and build it up from there using salvageable parts from the old mast. How about sails--where are they? Main, Genoa, asymmetrical or Code 0? Those alone to replace are going to be many thousands. Type of track, battens and furling systems are also variables.

After Ivan I worked as a survey / adjuster for a large number of hurricane damaged boats. There were a lot we wrote off. I was at the auction for those damaged boats (even bought one myself). I was also in contact with a number of bidders who got the good boats--and had bid on some of them myself. They went for fair prices. I also was able to watch the progress on the boats which were badly damaged and sold for low prices for 4 years. In the long run, those who bought most of them finally gave up--the boats were ground up and went to land fills. I think that $80,000 is too much to ask for this boat, considering the amount of bottom damage. But that a is based on estimates of professional labor to repair it. Your labor is free (almost). I built a 38' boat and my labor turned out to be worth about $3 an hour when I sold it. You will be wearing a Tyvek suit, hood and using a respirator when doing all of this grinding and sanding. It is not only the structural type of repair, but also the fairing (long boarding) which is necessary to get the hull back into original (or hopefully better shape). The amount of damage for a relatively short drop is astounding...Probably because of how the keels were built into the structure (or grid) of the hull. If the boat is in a remote area, where supplies are costly to import the costs and delays are even more.

I wish you well if you go forward with the project. I hope you document what you do and find with videos. It would be instructive for many people.
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 13:22   #92

Boat: 2015 Leopard 40

Just another opinion for your consideration:
As a slightly more aged version of you and mostly through an almost identical project, I’d consider location as critical.
What you’re not allowed to do yourself in the yard and availability/shipping/cost of the stuff you’ll need can dramatically change your numbers.
I worked through an engineering apprenticeship and can tell you that ‘can it be fixed’ is only dependent on ‘how desperately does it need to be fixed’.
Living on board while grinding and glassing is just a matter of comfort, so take your cement pills and your passion will prevail. The possible health issues can all be most mitigated by not being dumb.
If done correctly, your repairs will be the strongest parts of the boat. So do your research and get good practical advise before starting.
Looks to me like 800 hours work. Maybe more like US30k in materials (little stuff adds up much more than the big stuff) and the mast sounds way overpriced and you’ll nee to add at least a 20% contingency.

In a perfect world you’d buy a new boat and live past 70 but that’s not everyone’s world.
Fix the boat, (sounds like you’ll enjoy that part) get out there with the satisfaction of knowing you achieved it and you’ve got more than enough advise to make your decision now.
best of luck either way.
Jopinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 13:24   #93

I’ve hope you’ve seen YT channel parlay revival.
Double what you’ve been told and also an ex hurricane boat won’t be worth much when you sell it if you can. Who wants to buy a done up boat, to many unknowns.
Wait 6 months and there will be plenty of good boats at bargain prices, toys get sold first when the banks breathing down ya neck.
simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 16:17   #94

Boat: HOBIE 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Playstation comes to mind; it was modified twice.

A cored hull is not difficult, for an experienced composite repair person, to repair to original strength, or better.

Cheers.
Paul.
Yes, modified by the same builder of the yacht and at what cost?

Again, how much experience does the OP have?

Not enough to evaluate the project without asking questions about the project on a boat forum.

If it's a crazy good idea, why don't you jump on it?
Skipper Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 16:29   #95

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Kenny View Post
Yes, modified by the same builder of the yacht and at what cost?

Again, how much experience does the OP have?

Not enough to evaluate the project without asking questions about the project on a boat forum.

If it's a crazy good idea, why don't you jump on it?
Easy there big fella. Just hold on, and look back on the thread.
Read my post, and the post to which I was responding. Post 20.
It wasn't directed towards the OP. And I won't bother explaining it again.

Chill.
Paul.
Old 06-04-2020, 16:35   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
Easy big fella. Just hold on, and look back on the thread.
Read my post, and the post to which I was responding. It wasn't directed towards the OP. And I won't bother explaining it again.

Chill.
Paul.
Paul,

Yes anything is possible but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea.
Old 06-04-2020, 16:43   #97

Quote:
Paul,

Yes anything is possible but that doesn't mean that it's a good idea.
Did I say it was a good idea? I corrected some misinformation, so those who don't know any better, don't start quoting it as gospel.

I stand by my post, as written, and as a rebuttal to incorrect information.

Again.

Paul.
Old 06-04-2020, 17:19   #98

Boat: Still building

The OP should read see this first.....it's a BIG job...probably bigger than the Parley crew had to do, and therer were three or foru of them working together.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 17:47   #99

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
You are being nosey, so I am replying. I am asking about fixing the boat up, if its even worth it, and you are worried about the seller of the wrecked boat? No thanks is my reply.
Its a relevant condsideration to the scenario you have asked for input about. Being snotty to those who you are asking for advice is not a good strategy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 17:48   #100

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
As someone with a BS in manufacturing with an emphasis in composites, I stand by my rebuttal of your rebuttal.

Professionally,

Skipper Kenny
It’s unfortunate your education didn’t get you any hands on time actually doing laminates. Sorry to say, but any $10/hr laborer can do laminations.

Doing the finite element analysis to design the structure is definitely something you need skill (or at least Ansys) to complete, but once it comes to doing the lamination, any monkey can do it.

Paul’s right. Paul’s usually right in my experience. It’s possible for anyone to do quality composite work. This project may not be a good idea, but the OP can certainly complete the laminations (after tearing out the interior).
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 17:55   #101

Yes Paul,

You know very little about composites or finance.

Keep going, we need comic relief in times such as these.

Respectfully,

Skipper Kenny
Old 06-04-2020, 18:02   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It’s unfortunate your education didn’t get you any hands on time actually doing laminates. Sorry to say, but any $10/hr laborer can do laminations.

Doing the finite element analysis to design the structure is definitely something you need skill (or at least Ansys) to complete, but once it comes to doing the lamination, any monkey can do it.

Paul’s right. Paul’s usually right in my experience. It’s possible for anyone to do quality composite work. This project may not be a good idea, but the OP can certainly complete the laminations (after tearing out the interior).
So, as somebody who was paid professionally as an Engineer in composites, you will re use the standing rigging from a boat with a trashed mast?

I have disposed of ray domes with far less emotion than the two of you argue about what a great project this is going to be.

Arguing that adding an extension to a hull that is in tact is the same as repairing a smashed hull proves neither of you has any professional composite tooling experience.

But I admire how you are so enamored by Paul's opinions.

Amusingly,

Skipper Kenny
Old 06-04-2020, 18:16   #103

Wow, you're rude.
I'm writing this from the 50 foot, composite, resin infused, catamaran I built. And am smart enough, to be debt free.

I'm done.

Paul.
Old 06-04-2020, 18:19   #104

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Wink Re: restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

Quote:
So, as somebody who was paid professionally as an Engineer in composites, you will re use the standing rigging from a boat with a trashed mast?

I have disposed of ray domes with far less emotion than the two of you argue about what a great project this is going to be.

Arguing that adding an extension to a hull that is in tact is the same as repairing a smashed hull proves neither of you has any professional composite tooling experience.

But I admire how you are so enamored by Paul's opinions.

Amusingly,

Skipper Kenny
You should get out of the factory and into the boatyard for a minute. Hands on. Doing composite work is dead simple. It’s generating a shape and repeating a simple process over and over. It’s grunt work. He’s got to open it up and see what’s wrong. Grind it back. Rip out the interior. But the hull itself can provide all the lines he needs to do the repairs. Ever heard of a batten??

His tooling needs are completely unknown at this point. Your guess is as good as his. Nobody knows. But you don’t need a lot of tooling to repair boats. He’s not starting from scratch.

My vote is against him doing this. Bad idea. Too much work. I agree on that. However, doing composite work is dead simple.

As to the rigging, everything should be suspect about this boat. It’s trashed.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 18:22   #105

Boat: Still building

SK, it's clear to even those of us with a modicum of understanding that your posts aimed at GRIT are sarcastic if not even an ad hominem attack.
Your use of the word 'respectfully' in your sign off is anything but. At best it is ironic, at worst, just plain rude.
Please, everyone, can we just play nice....????
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hurricane