Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 18:22   #106

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: restoring hurricane damaged 40+ foot newer Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopinot View Post
...Looks to me like 800 hours work. Maybe more like US30k in materials...
Would be interesting to learn how you came up with those numbers.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 19:11   #107

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyweather View Post
Hi, am looking at a "cheap" deal on hurricane damaged newer Catamaran.

I am "handy", own a 2004 sprinter van that I have lived in for 3+ years, work on everything mostly by myself, repairs, etc., can watch YouTube and find most instructions on how to move my hands and apply what is needed to repair stuff... blah blah blah

so the boat is priced at 1/3 of its restored value. Both keels were either broke loose or pushed into the hull, as this thing was blown from the dry dock stands. It has no water damage though, as in it was not submerged. It was demasted. It needs extensive fiberglass work. According to the seller, fiberglass repair is estimated at $20k, or $3k in materials and my work. I opt for my work and the $3k. There is a 5 year old mast available from a similar boat for $20k. There is some inside damage, damage to roof from falling mast, lifelines damaged, diesel motors work good, a/c and electrical/ electronics all work good. windlass, chain, anchor ~ good condition.

Any advice? In these current times, there is not much else to do but to try and turn this back into a useable boat.

I can live on the boat while fixing according to the seller.

Thanks!
That laughter you hear is the seller running away with your money. If you want to rescue boats there are several auction sites that specialize in marketing insurance recovered write offs
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 20:41   #108

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:

I am "handy", own a 2004 sprinter van that I have lived in for 3+ years, work on everything mostly by myself, repairs, etc., can watch YouTube and find most instructions on how to move my hands and apply what is needed to repair stuff... blah blah blah

so the boat is priced at 1/3 of its restored value. Both keels were either broke loose or pushed into the hull, as this thing was blown from the dry dock stands. It has no water damage though, as in it was not submerged. It was demasted. It needs extensive fiberglass work. According to the seller, fiberglass repair is estimated at $20k, or $3k in materials and my work. I opt for my work and the $3k. There is a 5 year old mast available from a similar boat for $20k. There is some inside damage, damage to roof from falling mast, lifelines damaged, diesel motors work good, a/c and electrical/ electronics all work good. windlass, chain, anchor ~ good condition.

Any advice? In these current times, there is not much else to do but to try and turn this back into a useable boat.

I can live on the boat while fixing according to the seller.

Thanks!
My advice is ..run
What ever you think it'll cost to rebuild a wrecked cat you have to tripple it.
Same goes for the time estimate.
I build yachts for over 40 years, meaning I have some idea of the subject.
Obviousely thats not what you want to hear, anyway, good luck.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 22:01   #109

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

Quote:

s!
At 10000, it would be cheap, but many professionals would turn away even at that. There are costs associated with parting out a salvage boat like this one.

The boat is totaled. It has the sort of major structural damage that makes this anything but a project for an amateur's first restoration.

40 plus feet is a big boat as a first boat. If you have a couple million bucks in the bank, then go for it. But otherwise, get a boat that you can pay cash for now, without having to invest time money and energy into restoration.

You could get a 30-34 foot cat in good shape for a fraction of what you will have in this, and your ownership costs would be much lower.

Why this boat? It is way overpriced, and it's just an ordinary cat, of medium to low end construction quality. If you are getting something special for all your effort, then there is a rationale... But this is not a special boat.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 23:00   #110

Boat: Anchor Yachts, Compass 47 "Enigma"

"NO FREE MEALS" as you know
gerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 00:05   #111

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

KC375 you speak truth.
For others, yes insurance is possible on hurricane boats. Require some search and effort. I eventually got insurance in Puerto Rico. Both my vessels are hurricane boats. But as KC375 said, after all is done, your post-repair costs plus purchase price better not be more than ⅓ of the resale value, because you won't see full resale value with keel and roof damage. Then you might have a chance of selling it. Otherwise, if you buy to own, then the post-repair costs becomes less significant. But heed the caveat re total costs. And the fibreglass work is messy, even under professional hands. And if you are going to do any repairs in the BVI, living costs there will chew away your capital soon. And let me warn you after my stint with BVI people, they will financially and mentally drain you. Working in BVI is nothing like visiting it for a week's holiday. There is much, much more to consider than just your pre-and post repair value and costs.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:42   #112

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
The OP should read see this first.....it's a BIG job...probably bigger than the Parley crew had to do, and therer were three or foru of them working together.
In the case of Parley there was an experienced leader and an enthusiastic volunteer crew with varying degrees of experience. Big difference vs an inexperiened individual making a run at it.

Parley also did another smart thing: got the boat just seaworthy and moved it to a much more economical area for a refit...the Rio is an excellent option for a "revival" of this scope.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 13:36   #113

I have always been interested in projects like this. Not to slip in and nudge the prospective, enthusiastic first buyer out of the way and score it for myself. No, no, no. Nor to jump in after a loss of interest sale or for storage owing as the number 2 buyer. Number 2 gets to fix the mess & reduce the overweight imparted on a displacement sensitive system/design. Because the number 2 buyer has as much to do or more, than did Number 1 in his task. But to be the "enviable" # 3 buyer. He generally gets the most economical purchase as part of the long awaited estate sale.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 15:28   #114

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
I haven't seen the boat, but your comment was not strictly directed towards that boat. It was a global comment saying that composites can not be repaired to original strength. I disagree with that statement.

Looking at KC375's post, I think those photos prove the point I was making.

Thank you KC375.

Cheers.
Paul.
A first time DYI handyman might not have the know-how to take on a project of such a magnitude.
What is the point citing professionals taking on restoration projects as such?
A lot of things are possible however infeasible
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 15:31   #115

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Icarus: Please read post #20. I was simply rebutting that post.
Also, please read post #25.
And, for goodness sake, please read post #47

I'm amazed at the number of people complaining about me correcting a post which is patently untrue.
Are we to let posts like #20 stand? Some people come to CF to learn.

Someone educate me on the reasons people come to this site, please. Is it not to educate, and offer assistance? Or, conversely, to ask for assistance?

Perhaps I'm in the wrong place.

I was not a professional when I started my build. I'd never infused anything, never built anything of composite, and never faired, or painted anything. I learned on youtube, and the internet in general. No hands on experience, no teachers, no hired help.

I'm quite experienced now, but I do not make a living in composites.
Anyone can do anything, if they have the will.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 07-04-2020, 17:13   #116

I've heard enough negativity on this thread to last me a while.

Though I hate posting pictures of my build, or revealing personal information about myself, I'm going to now.

I'm no smarter, or richer, or more educated, than your average Joe. I didn't finish high school. I was never a fiberglass guy, nor did I play one on TV. I am, however, quite motivated, and blessed with a loving family, and wife, who all have GRIT.

That's what it takes to do any large project, GRIT. Educate yourself, decide if the final results are worth the projected expense, and time, make your decision, and stick to it. Ask for advice from those who may know, ignore the naysayers, absorb whatever information helps you get to the next step, and move on.

It's not difficult to build a boat, or repair one, it's a thousand little steps; a thousand small skills, that will get you to the finish line.

Think positive, and get it done.

Here are the results of building a boat in a shop that's just 3 feet longer than the bridgedeck, and barely wider than the hulls, in Canada. The hulls also stuck out of the back of the garage, just like the front. And yes, many said it could not be done, some laughed, some just shook their heads, or had other negative comments, I forget most of them, as I should.

I had never faired, built anything in composite, never painted anything, and we paid for it as we went.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GRIT.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	212245

Name:	Ready to <a title=hatch.jpg Views: 101 Size: 453.0 KB ID: 212249" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	The christening.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	212247

Name:	Coming out now.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	212248

And, before any of you give me crap, please read post #47, for my opinion on the OP's idea about fixing the boat mentioned.

Cheers.
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Almost out.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	212246  
Old 07-04-2020, 18:08   #117

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Nice looking boat!

I especially like the "ready to hatch" pic.

Designer?

I agree thag grit/determination is a big factor in completing any significant undertaking (boat building or not). A lot of folks (most?) who take on damaged/derelict boats run of it, and money, before they ever finish.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 18:16   #118

Hi Belize Sailor. Thanks for the compliments.
It's a Kurt Hughes.

I agree with your comment. Please see Post #47, points #3, and #7.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 07-04-2020, 18:20   #119
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
I've heard enough negativity on this thread to last me a while.

Though I hate posting pictures of my build, or revealing personal information about myself, I'm going to now.

I'm no smarter, or richer, or more educated, than your average Joe. I didn't finish high school. I was never a fiberglass guy, nor did I play one on TV. I am, however, quite motivated, and blessed with a loving family, and wife, who all have GRIT.

That's what it takes to do any large project, GRIT. Educate yourself, decide if the final results are worth the projected expense, and time, make your decision, and stick to it. Ask for advice from those who may know, ignore the naysayers, absorb whatever information helps you get to the next step, and move on.

It's not difficult to build a boat, or repair one, it's a thousand little steps; a thousand small skills, that will get you to the finish line.

Think positive, and get it done.

Here are the results of building a boat in a shop that's just 3 feet longer than the bridgedeck, and barely wider than the hulls, in Canada. The hulls also stuck out of the back of the garage, just like the front. And yes, many said it could not be done, some laughed, some just shook their heads, or had other negative comments, I forget most of them, as I should.

I had never faired, built anything in composite, never painted anything, and we paid for it as we went.

Attachment 212245

Attachment 212249

Attachment 212247

Attachment 212248

And, before any of you give me crap, please read post #47, for my opinion on the OP's idea about fixing the boat mentioned.

Cheers.
Paul.

Once again beautiful boat.
I’m sure it took GRIT and a boat load of patience!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 18:22   #120

Thank you.

Paul.

Tags
catamaran, hurricane