Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 08:24   #16

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'
Re: Reputable yards in Mexico to replace teak deck

"It make no sense fool"....... and you think he went to school? Ahahaahahaha.....
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 19:21   #17

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, I live in Mexico...if you think you will just come here and find someone to do your work and not take advantage of a gringo...think again. You have money and they know it and want it. You would have to spend considerable time here to learn the "lay of the land" before you could even begin to think about saving money. I can buy teak here but it's waaayyy too expensive and to ship it (you are allowed) is totally crazy. For your teak decks project...bring the materials with you if you can. Get some input on a good place to go for this job, and spend a few months talking and feeling out the right guy to do the job.
I don't need a lot of teak for my refurbish project but I have found that when I do need to make a moulding or something, I use cedar (cheap and plentiful here) and stain it teak before treating it with my special mix...you cannot tell the difference...
Come on down and feel it out and get er done...I am here (east coast) and would be more than happy to help you even if it is with the dealing with the locals part...Good luck in your endeavors and God Bless
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 21:20   #18

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Be sure it is teak and not plantation teak. During a refit in Puerto Vallarta, about 10 years ago, we could not get teak because they had an embargo; perhaps that has been lifted since then. We built a large crate out of teak, covered with door skin, to ship some plywood down from SoCal.

I have had excellent experiences, even living aboard at the yard during one project, at Baja Naval, which is in Ensenada, Baja, California. They can get everything we can because they drive across the border sometimes daily to bring stuff in from San Diego. There are certain types of work that the yard particularly specializes in, like bottom jobs and painting. But a teak deck isn't something I'd recommend having done there, unless they've recently added that kind of talent.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, Mexico, teak, teak deck