Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2017, 19:35   #1

Replacing spreader lights

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 1974 Pearson 30. The old spreader lights didn't work so I went up the mast and replaced them with some new LED fixtures. Unfortunately, no light from either array. I have used my voltmeter to confirm 12 V after the switch and fuse. Was also able to see 12V on the bus. That seems to work.

I'm now at a loss in terms of what to do next. The wiring on the boat is daunting and I can't see how the wires go up the mast. Does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously, I'm hoping that it's a fault somewhere outside the mast.

Are the spreader lights typically wired in paralllel or serial? If parallel, the fact that neither work gives me some hope. What else can I check without going up the mast again. Between replacing the anchor light bulb and bow light bulb... then installing these spreaders today, I'm feeling mast weary. Learning Prusiks was fun and all- but the thrill is gone.

Thanks for any guidance.

David
gs11gk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 21:12   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Replacing spreader lights

Are you certain the positive and negative aren't reversed. LEDs require the correct polarity.
Old 16-07-2017, 21:29   #3

As previous post polarity is important with LED's , there should be a joint/connection point at the mast(deck level-if deck stepped) or base of mast if keel stepped, these connections are prone to issues as both in possible area's of water/moisture.(common issue)

Spreader lights are usually wired in parallel so both turn on at same time
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 02:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 08:43   #5

I did make sure to wire the yellow- positive- to the red lead coming off the LED array and black to black. I don't think that's it.

CaptSteve- do you mean to say spreaders are wired serially- so that they come on at the same time. I guess that would make sense.

I did find a page discussing access to the mast wiring in the Pearson 30.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...o-mast.124675/

As I suspected, it seems the wiring runs through the headliner with no easier access. I may consider drilling an access hole near the compression post- behind the bulkhead and see if I can tap into that space. That is not something particularly appealing. I've never had the mast down, but that seems to be the time to address this.

I'm curious now how the mast even comes down. Are those wires connected at the mast step such that they are disconnected with taking the mast down.... or did Pearson just assume that the wires would be cut when taking the mast down??
Old 17-07-2017, 08:45   #6

And thanks for the welcome GordMay.