Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28   #1

Boat: Endurance Faria 44
Replacing Perkins 4236

Hi all

I have recently purchased an endurance 44, however the engine is completely seized, it's fitted with a 4 cylinder Perkins 4236 deisel (84hp (large I know haha). Unfortunately these engines arnt made any more, so was wondering if anybody knew what engine would fit instead??? Would prefer to put in Perkins again and maybe have a newer model to replace the 4236? However not ruling out other models. Any help would be appreciated.

Also any information to call or get an engine would be greatly appreciated, thinking it's best to get reconditioned or maybe new but kind of just weighing up options at the moment. Im from the UK but the boat is in Mallorca, obviously the closer to Mallorca the better however I know its doubtful to locate one close haha.

Thanks

Keiron
Cornishkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch
Re: Replacing Perkins 4236

The 4236 is a real commercial work horse and the parts are still available, I would look into rebuilding it. Some of the later Perkins were based upon the the 4236.

Good luck
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 13:13   #3

Boat: Endurance Faria 44

Thank you for replying i know they're really reliable which is why Il was thinking about this, however when I took the injectors out the bores and the injectors were quite rusty, leading me to to believe the rest especially the pistons will probably be the same, tried flushing alot of oil through but had no hope turning the fly wheel. I must admit mechanics is not my strong feild haha and have spoke to engineers who advised to look into something reconditioned and have a guarantee etc, I think I will still look into getting a quote for this one though just trying to weigh up options
Cornishkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 18:25   #4

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

That's the best engine Perkins ever built. Thousands were made, parts are readily available. It's seized, so likely it just needs to be rebuilt. No biggie. Get a decent mechanic to look it over first (you will have to pay for this, but that's ok. You get what you pay for here). If it isn't desperately abused then you have options. Haul it out of the boat, find a reputable engine shop and get a quote; and get it rebuilt.

If it's done well, then you'll have a better engine than anything you can buy in that size range today. Most likely for a lot less.

Good luck!
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 01:47   #5

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishkiwi View Post
Hi all

I have recently purchased an endurance 44, however the engine is completely seized, it's fitted with a 4 cylinder Perkins 4236 deisel (84hp (large I know haha). Unfortunately these engines arnt made any more, so was wondering if anybody knew what engine would fit instead??? Would prefer to put in Perkins again and maybe have a newer model to replace the 4236? However not ruling out other models. Any help would be appreciated.

Also any information to call or get an engine would be greatly appreciated, thinking it's best to get reconditioned or maybe new but kind of just weighing up options at the moment. Im from the UK but the boat is in Mallorca, obviously the closer to Mallorca the better however I know its doubtful to locate one close haha.

Thanks

Keiron
Have a look at Perkins 1104 engines. You could get a mechanical injected one new still.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 04:42   #6

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Like some of the above posters, I agree with the consideration to rebuild.... I have that engine myself. Parts are easy to get and very reasonably priced (ie ~half price compared with Volvo and Yanmar).

But if you like to replace the engine, consider the following:
- exhaust fittings on same side, hopefully same diameter
- waterpump fiitings on same side of engine
- does large alternator fit?
- needing new engine mounts in different locations
- you may need an adaptor plate for gearbox or a new gearbox all together
- if you need a new gearbox, you may need to change length of prop shaft
- need new wiring harness to cockpit

Advantage for new (modern ie common rail) engine:
- less weight
- more power if needed
- slightly more economical
- less pollution

If you want to go with a basic heavy engine then you could consider:
- Perkins Phaser 90 or 110 (similar to 4.236, also a 4 lt engine)
- Beta 75 or Beta 90 (Kubota based)
- Cummins 4BT

Of course your final decision depends also on what is available locally.

Tags
perkins