Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2008, 06:19   #1

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Coolant/water volume for Perkins 4236 and other info

I intend to drain and replace coolant/water and noted that in their manual they show the motor volume only... not with the radiator/ hoses etc. I would appreciate anyones input as likely marine total.... Also they recommend for tropical areas (venezuela) a ratio for coolant/ water as 1:2.

I have read previous threads recommending 50% and initially thought to go with this ratio of "motor volume" on the assumption that the extra water would probably bring to 30% ratio. Then realised that the specific knowledge was available here in CF.

Further, there was an interesting thread a few weeks ago discussing whether it was best to allow the prop to be free or locked in reverse, while sailing. (it was suggested that the manual would recommend). Unfortunately the associated documentation is in French and my French is not good enough.
However, I believe it is a "Borg Warner 72CR Reverse gearbox 2:91:1"

Simple question does the "Reverse" in it's name indicate, that it should be locked while sailing and if so, what is the correct process of doing so?

Finally the rating is Circa 72-80HP (general manual) The marine manual does not specify. vehicle is 80hp and heavyduty 72. I assume that a 17 ton steel ketch is assessed as "heavy duty". It doesn't have a rev counter and the manual, depending on configuration provides a scale of between 2200 to 2800. I would like to know

As always many thanks in anticipation

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 01:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglooff View Post
... Unfortunately the associated documentation is in French and my French is not good enough...
Alan
Select French-English and insert appropriate text (sometimes 1 word at a time works better):

Free Translation Online

Language Translation -- English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, Greek, Norwegian, Chinese, Japanese & Korean

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 05:01   #3

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Just a suggestion but measure how much you drain. That will give a good indication of how much is in there now which should be close to the correct volume.

I have a 4.236 but not near manuals. As far a load I would expect that it is rated at 82HP at least mine was 1985. Also the load is not just the weight but based on how propped etc. Ours rarely fully loads up on a 16T 47 - an only when I am doing harbor maneuvers.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 19:00   #4

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: Coolant/water volume for Perkins 4236 and other info

A bit late to reply but I just saw your post and others may be interested in this extract from the Perkins 4-236 Installation manual. This information relates to transmissions that have reduction gears (most have).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perkins Transmission trailing prop issue.png
Views:	15
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	275635  
Kekaimalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2023, 19:40   #5

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: Coolant/water volume for Perkins 4236 and other info

I have a 4.236 and also the 2:91:1 BW transmission (no idea if the model number has the CR in it, and I think it's a 71 not a 72). SO, based on a) conflicting information on whether or not it was ok to allow the prop/trans to freewheel while sailing (do I have a reduction gear or not, still don't know and don't care anymore) and b) the annoying sound of the prop/trans freewheeling which drove me crazy, I installed (had installed) a shaft lock device (a hub on the shaft with a spring-loaded pin). Whenever we are ready to sail, I drop the pin in the shaft lock before shutting down the engine. No risk of running the trans dry after sailing more than XX number of hours. Now I am not bothered by any annoying sounds to interrupt the peacefulness of sailing, and I am confident that I am not damaging the trans when sailing more than 8 hours (or 80 hours).

Your choice, your boat (as another member's sig constantly reminds people) - but I strongly recommend you have a shaft lock fitted so you can guarantee you are not damaging your transmission.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant