Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 09:35   #16

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau 36.2
Re: Removing the old name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
After a closer inspection, it looks like the name is custom vinyl lettering. So, I'm assuming I can remove them using a hair dryer and a plastic scraper?
Or this: https://www.amazon.com/Follex-ERW-De.../dp/B00BMU9CEM
Geitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 13:37   #17

Boat: Columbia 10.7

As it turns out. The name was applied as a vinyl decal. I used a hair dryer to warm up the letters and pull them off.

The hull was considerably discolored where the old name appeared. I used a strong hull cleaner to remove the years of grime. It also removed a bit of paint too.

I applied the new vinyl decal to the clean surface and it adhered perfectly. When I tried to put the name on the port side, I discovered that I had not cleaned that side as well and the name did not adhere at all. So, lesson to the wise, make sure you clean the surface carefully and remove all residue before trying to apply a vinyl decal.

I had to order a replacement. That was a $35 lesson I won't forget.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 13:30   #18

This is a fairly common problem with my clients and I have had to do many of these removals!

TO:

I wrote an in-depth article discussing the best fiberglass polish for gel coats and used the old name on the hull as a challenge!
TheMarineLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:50   #19

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
When you have the name off, if it's been on awhile you'll be left with a shadow of the name because the gelcoat is like new under the old letters and all around it has uv'd. Try to put your new name in a similar size right over where the old name was and while you can see it most people won't.
I have found this to be very true.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:17   #20

Boat: Columbia 10.7

I was lucky, the name on my boat was a vinyl decal. We simply used a hairdryer and the letters peeled off. Yes, the gel coat under the letters was discolored but I used Hull Cleaner to wipe down the hull and it did a good job of clearing up the discoloration. The old name is still visible, but you have to look very hard to find it.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 13:52   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

After trying heat if it is a sticker, try acetone. Acetone will not dissolve gel coat. If you don't believe me then try a hidden test spot first.

If the lettering is painted then try acetone. Acetone will not dissolve an LPU paint as well. It is highly unlikely someone will have used an LPU (Awlgrip, Sterling etc) to paint the name on a hull. Most lettering is done with a one part paint, all of which that I know of can be removed with acetone.

If the underpart is seriously discolored then you can wetsand it down with 1500, then 2500 then a coarse gelcoat polish and then a fine gelcoat polish. Mask off the area so you know where not to sand and use a sanding block to keep it relatively flat

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 15:51   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

As someone pointed out above after successfully removing the old name make sure you wipe the area clean to remove surfactants or the new vinyl will struggle to adhere. We suggest a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol. Works great and inexpensive to boot!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 06:04   #23

Boat: Beneteau 331 34'

I recently boat a 2003 Beneteau 331 and had to remove the name and registration. I found a Wagner heat gun more effective than a hair dryer. Just keep it moving so you don't burn the gelcoat. The lettering will come off easily, but you'll need to use some Goof-Off to remove the underlying adhesive. Finally, wipe the surface with glass cleaner to clean it.
_m_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 18:24   #24

Boat: 1981 Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

I wouldn't use paint stripper to clean an oven and I wouldn't use oven cleaner to remove paint.

I've seen oven cleaner used and it works.
dennymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 01:22   #25

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
After trying heat if it is a sticker, try acetone. Acetone will not dissolve gel coat. If you don't believe me then try a hidden test spot first.

If the lettering is painted then try acetone. Acetone will not dissolve an LPU paint as well. It is highly unlikely someone will have used an LPU (Awlgrip, Sterling etc) to paint the name on a hull. Most lettering is done with a one part paint, all of which that I know of can be removed with acetone.

If the underpart is seriously discolored then you can wetsand it down with 1500, then 2500 then a coarse gelcoat polish and then a fine gelcoat polish. Mask off the area so you know where not to sand and use a sanding block to keep it relatively flat
The second part to the above technique is to wet a clean rag with acetone, hold the rag against the lettering for a few seconds -- then wipe clean. The acetone needs contact time to react with the paint.

This was taught to me by a boat "artist" who refused to paint block letters on my boat. However, he was more then happy to spend a couple of free hours to teach me how to remove and paint the name correctly. What can I say -- boat people.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote