Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Re-finishing Cabin Sole

My cabin sole is the standard wood with white insert that is widely fitted in the industry, but new to me. The finish is dull but grips well to the shoe. I am in the middle of a major refit, and wondered what I ought to do to this flooring. I do not even know what it has been finished with - oil or varnish.

So some advice please.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Re-finishing Cabin Sole

if it is a production boat the flooring is probably plywood with a very thin laminate applied to look like laid decking.

great care is needed when sanding so as not to go through the fake laminate.

other wise treat it as you would any paneling for varnishing ie sand and clean to remove loose varnish and oil/contanimates,apply 3-4 coats 2 pack polyeurathane or 6coats yacht varnish, thin the first few coats.

if you can lift floor panels and work on them in a dust free room once sanded.

if you can spray the panels and interiour flooring there are some good laquer isocynate coatings available,that cure to give a very hard finish,though care is needed as the vapours are very dangerous.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We are planning on doing ours with Interlux Perfection (2 part). I've looked at ALL of the alternatives, and just keep coming back to this. We are doing our steps with it, to see how we like it.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:13   #4

Boat: C&C Newport 41

atoll hit it on the head.

if you have real teak and holly hard wood, sand (220 lightly followed by 400) with the grain clean very very well and apply something like interlux wood sealer.

if you have the laminate that atoll is referring to, sacrifice the 1/4" of head room and just put down another layer on top of what is already there. it is about $200 per 4'*8' and avail at most lumber yards (not home depot).

gl.

-s
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We are planning on doing ours with Interlux Perfection (2 part). I've looked at ALL of the alternatives, and just keep coming back to this. We are doing our steps with it, to see how we like it.
I have been doing my companionway stairs with this (It's called "International Perfection" in Europe).

It looks amazing. I spent a lot of money on matting agent, thinking I would make the last coat satin, but the gloss is so gorgeous and deep-looking I think I will leave it like that.

I suppose it will be hard-wearing enough for your sole. You probably wouldn't want it to be gloss (too slippery) however.

The only drawback I've found is that it is very hard to keep bubbles and dust out of it. Seems to be like a magnet for that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 17:09   #6

[QUOTE=Dockhead;1205697]I have been doing my companionway stairs with this (It's called "International Perfection" in Europe).

It looks amazing. I spent a lot of money on matting agent, thinking I would make the last coat satin, but the gloss is so gorgeous and deep-looking I think I will leave it like that.

I suppose it will be hard-wearing enough for your sole. You probably wouldn't want it to be gloss (too slippery) however.

The only drawback I've found is that it is very hard to keep bubbles and dust out of it. Seems to be like a magnet for that.[/QUOT

Just used the same product on my cabin soles absolutley fantastic stuff
Huckins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin