Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 26-04-2006, 21:21   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Question Portlight Gasket Help

I've looked all around this port and cannot find a manufacturer's stamp or anything else to identify it. SS port with a gasket that either comes with a pre-formed lip or has formed one over the years as they cranked down the dogs. The gasket channel is about 1/2 inch wide. Measuring the knife edge I get 12-1/4" long by 5-1/4" wide.

Anyone have an idea what type port this is? I'm looking for material to replace the gaskets in all 13 of them on the boat (what an unlucky port count eh?).

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1146111144

Sorry for the link but I can't get the image to display in the message body...

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portlight2.JPG
Views:	1160
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	64  
Old 26-04-2006, 21:22   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Well hush my mouth.. the image appears once I post.. but does not show in the Preview.
Old 26-04-2006, 21:54   #3
Kai Nui

Mark, in your area, try Green Rubber in Salinas,(831) 753-6100
and online, try Mill Supply. This link should take you to the door seal page. See if any of the shapes wil work. http://www.rustrepair.com/stepvan_pa...hdwr-dr.sidewe Both may have a bulk material that may fit. If not, there are some other places, but I will have to try to remember the names.
Here is another link http://www.thermoprene.com/scripts/rubber_extrusion.asp
THese guys might have something that will work, or they might be able to match a sample.
Old 26-04-2006, 22:09   #4

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
If you cant find a geometrically 'close' gasket, pull the old gasket and fill the channel with automotive RTV and with a spatula pulled across the surface make the RTV smooth with the frame. After curing spray the surface with Teflon lube to prevent 'sticking'.
If you have a 'gasket supply' source nearby take the old gasket to them ... many times they will be able to locate the 'extrusion' for you.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 17:34   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mark, you may find RV suppliers have gasket material that matches, inexpensively. But if there is no local shop, try mcmaster.com or grainger.com they tend to carry all sorts of that stuff by the foot. With 13 ports...I'd probably look for silicone instead of rubber (more durable more expensive) and order a piece, or send them a piece, to match up the profile before ordering it all. There are special adhesives (Loctite and Permatex among others make them) to glue the ends of the gasket together to make it truly seamless, too.
I suspect any marine supplier will wind up costing you at least double what a gasket supplier will charge.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 19:30   #6
Kai Nui

Good point. THese guys are one of the vendors I have used for years. THey have all sorts of odd stuff on the shelf: Almaden RV Svc & Repair 494 Phelan Ave, San Jose, 95112 - (408) 289-9442
Old 27-04-2006, 19:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
The seal that you have looks the same as mine. My gasket material started out round. I think you will find that your's is the same. I have not had much luck finding more of it. But the boat did come with about 50' when I bought it. I am going to call Steel rubber and see if they make it.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:44   #8
cruiser

Ditto what Irwinsailor says. Gaskets do start out round. I had the same confusion with mine (Beckson Ports). They sent me replacement gaskets that I thought would not fit. I even called the company. As it turs out, they collapse down over time and become flat. Best to not screw the dogs down too far and crush them. I found that you should only tighten them enough to create a watertight seal. Then... if that number of turns doesn't work over time, you should add an extra turn. Just don't crank them down tight from the get-go. It shortens the life of the gasket.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:31   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A good trick for gaskets and rubber trim in general is to apply ArmorAll once or twice a year. It's not the only product, but it is a good one. Rubber and plastics all have volatiles in them, all oxidize, and the treatment replaces the volatiles and seals the surface to prevent oxidation which degrade them. Keeps them soft and working way, way, longer.

Just don't get the stuff on painted plastic surfaces, eventually it can loosen the bond with the paint (i.e. painted vinyl trim) and it has been accused of loosening glued seams in inflateables as well. AFAIK not proved--but certainly possible.

Much cheaper than replacing gaskets, too.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, portlights