Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 14:56   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Covering imperfections with fibreglass

I was pretty happy after having removed the 20yr old bright blue "carpet" style headlining that pretty much covers most of the inside of Insatiable, but the exercise did uncover a multitude of imperfections. There are various holes that have been cut for some unknown reason, long since forgotten. There are joins in panels, some of which are pretty uneven. All these had been covered by the lining, but I'll be damned if I am going to re-line.

So, anyway, as a first stage, I and a buddy of mine (experienced builder / shipbuilder) spent a fun filled day, making timber panels to plug holes, bogging and fibre-glassing. We used vinylester resin and chopped strand mat. It looks pretty messy right now, but with some sanding back and then judicious use of fairing compounds I think its gonna come up pretty nicely.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:38   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Dont know about your boat, but the headlining in particular provides a significant element of insulation to my boat.
Old 02-05-2006, 15:01   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I hear what you are saying, but I don't think it is going to be a problem. Believe it or not, It never gets particularly cold in Tasmania...not at sea level, anyways. Also, both the engine and the galley stove seem to do a pretty good job of keeping a fairly confined space pretty warm.

To be honest, I think the boat was originally sailed for years on more northerly waters, so that the lining was probably more to cut down on condensation than for insulation against the cold.

Frankly, the headlining was over 20 years old and looking prett ordinary, so it really had to go. Even if I was going to re-line (which I'm not), it is a good exercise to have stripped the old stuff off and done some maintenance and strengthening.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:53   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Insulation also helps when it is very hot. and definitely reduces the problems of condensation.

galley stove will increase condensation problems rather than reduce them.