Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2013, 16:59   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 440
Perkins Prima M60 issues

I recently became "capt" of an old Beneteau Oceanis 440 equipped with a raft of exotic stuff incl a Perkins Prima M60. I love this yacht, but the engine is a bit smoky (White gray smoke that stinks a little) compared with my old boat. This is bad, but is it serious?

I also have had problem with the kill-switch on the panel and had to use the manual engine snuffer. Next it works perfectly again - for a good while.

Then a new problem at the opposite end - starting the thing. Not a whimper! Normally I never use the pre-heating (starts instantly anyway even after a long break) but after using this button the panel wakes up and start button works. Seems weird!

I also noticed when I turn back a manual charge-regulator control-button, it may create this problem. Turning it up again engages the alternator for longer and can create a charge-current of over 15 volt!!!

If you haven't figured it out: "No Sir, I know nothing much about diesel engines". However I hope someone have a few kind and bright comments following this information?
Blongsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins