Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 14:52   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
'Oh Joy' Restoration - 12/02/09 - The House Comes Off

We got the house off and outside today. We hung it from the extra long forks on the big forklift from straps and hauled it out.

Here it is on the ground to be tarped up.

The boat afterwards...

A bit more detail

and...

CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Love the pics...thanks.
Sure looking good...do you have a real job?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:01   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I believe O Joy is his real job, and a fine job he is doing too. I am looking forward to the day you start putting things back onto the boat. BEST WISHES in that day coming soon...........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:26   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Charlie, looking good.
In that aft-looking shot, are they the deck shelves which have their long dimension on the flat. They appear to be fastened to the sheer plank ? How do the frame heads tie in?--not to the deck beams? Why do they taper where they meet the bulkheads?
I've found in the past that having that house removed is like the difference between a basement renovation and a sundeck project. Good mental motivation
Old 03-12-2009, 05:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I believe O Joy is his real job, and a fine job he is doing too. I am looking forward to the day you start putting things back onto the boat. BEST WISHES in that day coming soon...........i2f
Thats what I'm think-in given the progress...I sure enjoy the updates!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Charlie, looking good.
In that aft-looking shot, are they the deck shelves which have their long dimension on the flat. They appear to be fastened to the sheer plank ? How do the frame heads tie in?--not to the deck beams? Why do they taper where they meet the bulkheads?
I've found in the past that having that house removed is like the difference between a basement renovation and a sundeck project. Good mental motivation
Blue,

I'm not sure what to call those. They're only about 10' long, are sawn, not bent and there are bolts that run from the outside, through the planking, the clamp and width wise through them. While they do provide some support for the deck frames, the deck frames are still set on the clamp and bolted through it. The inboard frame heads are through bolted into notches in the house beam inboard just like they are into the cockpit frame aft.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:17   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

James, I'm currently a Boeing cast off contractor looking for work. Whenever Boeing feels a crunch is possible, the first thing they do is lay off ALL IT contractors, regardless of criticality of their jobs. So, myself and some 8,000 IT guys are all competing for the same few and far between jobs in this crappy market. I figured I might as well do what I could on the old girl in the mean time.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:25   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
getting laid off is the best time to actually do things like working on a boat full time. in 2003 i was between jobs and was able to do a moderate amount of rehab on my house that resulted in being able to sell it later at a nice profit. plus it kept me busy and not worrying so much about things. good luck and have fun with your boat!!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49   #10

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
They do appear to be clamps, but that location is interesting. Normally clamps are fastened to the deck shelf in the area of the mast partners, and spanning a fore and length sufficient to provide help to resist the upward pull (hogging) of the rigging, and the side loads exerted by the mast wedges.
Are sets of the construction drawings available for purchase from any source?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:08   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Wow,
To take the house off my boat would entail a lot of fiberglass grinding and sawzall use. Looks like yours was bedding compound and long bolts. Very well thought out design if you ask me. What exactly is next on your list for Oh Joy?
Your project makes my cockpit quarter and toerail installation look like childs play.
regards,
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
They do appear to be clamps, but that location is interesting. Normally clamps are fastened to the deck shelf in the area of the mast partners, and spanning a fore and length sufficient to provide help to resist the upward pull (hogging) of the rigging, and the side loads exerted by the mast wedges.
Are sets of the construction drawings available for purchase from any source?
Nope. I talked to the Grandson of the builder and most of that stuff was lost during the infighting between all of the siblings after Thomas Knutson passed. Those parts do start just aft of the lower chainplates and run forward of the mast by some 6' or so. The clamp runs the full length of the boat and all of the ribs are through bolted through it and the deck frame ends are also through bolted through it. At least, I've been told it's the clamp. Maybe it's a combo of shelf and clamp.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Wow,
To take the house off my boat would entail a lot of fiberglass grinding and sawzall use. Looks like yours was bedding compound and long bolts. Very well thought out design if you ask me. What exactly is next on your list for Oh Joy?
Your project makes my cockpit quarter and toerail installation look like childs play.
regards,
I still have to pull the cabin sole and cockpit to touch the framing under them. The primary target is the bad clamp/shelf at the chainplates that needs replacing or scarphing. I still have to pull bulkheads and shelving to get at it. Once that is completed, I can start making parts and going back together, one section at a time. I'll probably do her in sections.

Tags
restoration