Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 19:35   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
OceanMaster paints & epoxies

Has anyone used (or even heard of) OceanMaster paints and epoxies? We are refitting in Singapore. International/Awlgrip and West System products are available here but generally only in industrial quantities, and very very pricey. OceanMaster is one of a very few brands offered in quantities suitable for a 40-foot monohull. All I really know is OceanMaster products are manufactured in China. Before I dismiss them from consideration on that basis, I thought I should see if anyone has had surprising, good results with the line.
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 20:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: OceanMaster paints & epoxies

You can get International stuff directly from The distributor on the West side of the island in smaller quantities. It is still expensive...

Heard of Oceanmaster but no experience with it. There is a boating in Singapore thread that many of the locals pay attention to. Don't worry about thread drift it seems just add on the end and someone chimes in.

Singapore can be a bit of a treasure hunt when trying to find stuff. If you need any help advice etc. give a shout.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ore-34226.html
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 21:58   #3

Thanks for the help. Sounds like you know Singapore. I am getting my quotes directly, in person, from International Paints on Neythal Road. I need to repaint a 4" boot stripe. The two biggest discrepancies:

1. Epoxy primer for the Awlcraft. I asked for a quote on 1 quart; they came back with one gallon each of base and converter, SG$516.
2. Hot weather reducer and spray converter for the Awlcraft 2000 -- again, a gallon each when I need far less, SG$166 and SG$481 (choke!) respectively.

We're talking almost US$1000 for just the fluids to redo a bootstripe? In contrast, the Ocean Master products come in at US$200.

I'm waiting for quotes from Jotun. Since those products are manufactured in Malaysia, they may be affordable as there shouldn't be a heavy duty layered on top.

Any one out there with experience using Jotun topcoats, epoxy primers and the like?
Old 12-07-2014, 22:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yup - You've found it...

Typical Singapore issue. Market is too small for much "variety" - I have been fortunate that I am only using Toplc and they have had small quantities (at ridiculous prices).

Good luck on specific info for OceanMaster...
Old 13-07-2014, 18:39   #5

Riggers in Singapore?

Hi Ex-Cal: Can you recommend a rigger? Anyone here in Singapore familiar with Navtec rod rigging? I also need a little work on a standard cable baby stay.
Thanks, Laura (Alii)
Old 13-07-2014, 19:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PM sent...

Tags
mast, paint