Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 15:05   #31

Re: New Cushions - How Bad a Project?

A few thoughts on the foam :

Regardless of compression stiffness, heavier is better - in terms of longevity.

Start with a firm foundation. You can always make firm foam softer by adding a mattress topper, but you can't make soft foam harder.

For my V berth and salon base cushions, I started with the Lux HQ foam from the Foam Factory, which is a high density and rather firm foam. Then I added a couple of inches of softer foam (HD36) to the V berth. I also added 1 inch of softer foam to the salon cushion bases. Finally I added a layer of very soft foam to the V berth. So it's now 7" thick. The salon cushions are now 5" thick.

Generally I favour a firm foundation with softer topping, for my bed at home, and on the boat.

I've also put a 1" layer of batting on the salon cushions. I haven't decided whether to put it on the V berth cushions. Any opinions, anyone?
Old 10-04-2015, 15:51   #32

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

My cushions are only 22" width with maybe 5 or so inches depth.

A couple of years ago I bought some of the cheapest, widest(60"), tough material I could find ... I bought 4-5 yards of some nice "clearance" material, turned the cushions up-side down and placed the cushions on the fabric.

Then I pulled everything tight(not super tight) ... all around, and using heavy sewing thread, very randomly sewed all the odd corners and all ... all together, worked fine for two years ... this would be the third year.

I'm thinking about "improving", on this short-cut answer this year, by doing basically the same thing(maybe with new material), and placing grommets every foot or so, then using twine to tie everything off.

I might even add some batting to the top of the cushions first.

The whole thing cost me about 20-25 dollars tops, it holds firm, and even though I have to put up with seeing the "bunching"(although still flattened), at the corners, and NOT seeing the more squared look of a finely sewn, shaped cover, the cheapness of the covering, along with the absolute cheapness of changing the cover on a whim is nice.

Maybe I'll always keep two sets of covers, so I can change them(that is, untie the backs), almost like sheets.

If I really get serious, I could get something a little firmer and place this "form", on the bottom to help hold a shape even better.

Not the nicest looking, but doesn't look bad either and 20-30 or so dollars(with grommets), is one heck of a lot cheaper than $2000 ... or even $200.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 17:54   #33

We used 3″ of firm lux (50Lb), 1″ of medium (36Lb) and 1″ of super soft foam(12 Lb) all from the foam factory. For our two settee bottoms and backs, foam was about $400.

Very happy with the results.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 16:17   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Re: Foam

Just remember for cabin and sleeping, NO closed cell foam. You would sleeping in a pool of sweat. It's been awhile since I looked but I think Sailrite has some breathable foam. Also, for myself, I think 4" total thickness would be a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions