Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 20:57   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41
Need new chainplates

So I was going to pull and inspect my chainplates this winter anyway, but one of them got bent today unstepping the mast (long, unimportant story)*, so I'm definitely replacing one, and figure I may as well replace both (they're 32 years old, so they were due anyway).

The question for everyone is: does anyone have a recommendation for a vendor?

It's a very simple chainplate: basically a cutout of a flat piece of stainless with holes drilled in it. I'll have the unbent one that can be used as a template.

I'm not in a hurry - as long as I have new ones by early March, I'll be happy. (Work travel commitments will keep me from being able to remove the old chainplate until mid December though.)

I'm located in the US (Maryland).

Thanks for any recommendations.

*Yes, I've already inspected the bulkhead, and bulkhead/hull attachments. Everything appears just fine - will look even closer when I remove the chainplate.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 21:07   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Need new chainplates

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulskibum View Post
The question for everyone is: does anyone have a recommendation for a vendor?

It's a very simple chainplate: basically a cutout of a flat piece of stainless with holes drilled in it. I'll have the unbent one that can be used as a template.

Of course it is possible you could make your own - I made all 8 of mine.

Got some 316 bar, cut and shaped them, drilled the holes, bent them using a small hydraulic jack and finally polished them.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 21:12   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41
Re: Need new chainplates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Of course it is possible you could make your own - I made all 8 of mine.

Got some 316 bar, cut and shaped them, drilled the holes, bent them using a small hydraulic jack and finally polished them.
If I had the time, this is the route I would go. Unfortunately, I'll have to trade money for time, again .
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote