Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2021, 19:32   #16

Re: Micron 66 and the Panama Canal ❓

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
What happened when they next hauled out?
Well, most people only haul out when it is time to replace bottom paint, so if it all fell off when they next hauled out they would likely have considered that a plus, since it saved sanding!
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 19:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
All metal-laden anti fouling paints are considered pesticides in this country.
Actually Matt, it has nothing to do with the metal content, according to the law in the USA a pestidice is: Any substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest.

By this definition ANY bottom paint that claims to reduce the growth of any living thing on the bottom of your boat, and thereby "mitigate a pest" is legally a "pesticide" and needs to be registered with the EPA.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 20:56   #18

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Actually Matt, it has nothing to do with the metal content, according to the law in the USA a pestidice is: Any substance or mixture of substances intended for preventing, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest.

By this definition ANY bottom paint that claims to reduce the growth of any living thing on the bottom of your boat, and thereby "mitigate a pest" is legally a "pesticide" and needs to be registered with the EPA.
Hmmm, by this definition I’m a pesticide when I have a couple beers then switch to rum. :-)
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 15:33   #19

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Well, most people only haul out when it is time to replace bottom paint, so if it all fell off when they next hauled out they would likely have considered that a plus, since it saved sanding!
That's what I do, but I know many haul out every winter, so would be a problem for them.

But even when I haul out for bottom painting, I'd prefer the paint to remain intact. It's still another layer of effective anti-fouling that I just over-coat. And if it has started popping off, some remains, loosely, so that means sanding
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 15:46   #20

Boat: Valiant 42

off topic marginally but no one could convince me to change from micron 66. 3 coats on my 42 takes 4 gallons at ~$300 per gallon, lasts 3 years and works great maine to caribe. sold.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 18:46   #21

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
off topic marginally but no one could convince me to change from micron 66. 3 coats on my 42 takes 4 gallons at ~$300 per gallon, lasts 3 years and works great maine to caribe. sold.
Ohhhh, I hope this works. I just recv’d 2 gal of M66 from Defender at $288 / gal and will be applying this week. This forum has helped me from the dream stage all the way through passage planning and now maintenance so we can keep going.
Thank you CF!
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 18:59   #22

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I agree. Once, the M66 had to last 3 seasons, and looked better than CSC or Extra did after only 2 seasons.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, Panama, Panama Canal