Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2022, 20:31   #16

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Re: mast re-paint

Did you mean to say that you painted the back side of the stainless steel fittings that you attached you the mast? Or painted the areas of the mast with Duralac paint?

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 18:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I used tefgel and duralac when I painted my mast and boom recently. Tefgel for bolts and screws and duralac as a barrier between stainless steel fittings and the painted aluminium. Also, it seems to me that epoxy primer with two pack polyurethane topcoat is a typical combination used for painting masts. I painted the mast with a roller and sprayed the boom. The paint I used was an industrial product recommended for spraying only, so the rolled surface is a bit textured, but more than acceptable for my older boat. The boom on the other hand came out perfect, as I made the effort to rub back the primer before the topcoat application. On advice from a fellow boater and former boat builder, I prepped in accordance with the paint manufacturers instructions and also etched the surface with an undiluted aluminium cleaner containing hydrofluoric acid as the final step before primer. So far it all looks like it's holding up.
@Reefmagnet -- please see post above-- I forgot to tag you...

Skipper T
Old 24-10-2022, 03:07   #18

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
@Reefmagnet -- please see post above-- I forgot to tag you...

Painted the backside of the stainless fittings. The mast/boom already had coats of paint applied prior to re-attaching the fittings.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 19:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Painted the backside of the stainless fittings. The mast/boom already had coats of paint applied prior to re-attaching the fittings.
Awesome-- thank you... Do people buy nylon screws and screw them into the standing rigging screw holes on the mast and booms? Or how do you keep paint from dripping into the mast and screw holes!?

Skipper T

Tags
mast, paint