Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2010, 19:42   #31

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Well I spent 50 bucks today on more buffing junk and spent another 45 min trying different things out.

I pretty much gave all the suggestions sofar a go except I have been limited on obtaining any really fine grit wheels...I guess they are all special order at local hardware stores anyway.

I picked up a 120 grit overlap sanding wheel and that really worked well taking most of all the heavy scratches that the 80 grit put in the metal...I wish I could have found 220 and 400 ...but Im wondering if that would be any finer then the fine scotch bright wheels I bought....Does anybody know?

They did a pretty good job smoothing out the 120 scratches but they sure don't last as long or take the abuse the overlap sanding wheel will...as you can see in the picture their condition, I went through 3 scotch bright pads verses hardly even fazing the overlap sanding wheel which has just as much time on it as the other three combined.

I so far haven't found online any place making them in any finer grit then 400.

Any way I am already really at the "Good enough for Government work" stage after only 1.25 hours of labor in this thing.

But I have got the bug now to see how much more work it will be to get it a few increments farther up the luster scale.

Do you think it is ready for the buffers and grit sticks or should I some how get to at least 1500 grit paper? ...I have no clue what the fine schbright pad translates into grit wise...but at the rate I burn them up compared to the sanding wheels Im not really excited to continue down that road.

As always all advice is appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mast step polishing step 3&4.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	14013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buffing wheels-1.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	14014  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 03:51   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Looks like you're ready for the sisal wheel (like sabray posted a link for) + compound. It's the choice of compound. Try a small piece with a "polishing" grade and another small piece with first "cleaning" grade followed by "polishing" grade to get a feel for it. I have 3 or 4 different grades that I got from Sears (incl. the wheels).

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 16:38   #33

Will do!...Thanks

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 19-05-2010, 21:15   #34

Why is it ...We As a group here know more then any 10 yards put together...

I got a call from my yard yesterday notifying me that i might not be happy with the electroplating job on my new mast collar ring.

I had spent a few hours trying my hand at polishing the new SS mast base talked about in this thread and was told to have it eletopollished now or it would still be a problem.

So you would think a yard and the electropolishing place would know all this stuff , no?....Well the yard dint seem to think the new coller needed any pre polishing and just sent it off to the polishers....Evidently the polishers didn't inform the yard that it would be a wast of time either as the attached photo shows.

So needless to say my resteping of the mast tomorrow is postponed now while I undertake the initial polishing of this thing myself.

FWIW... the mast step turned out GREAT! after my initial polishing and tips I got from you all and the subsequent electropolishing...I should have took a picture but forgot my camera yesterday.

Soooooo.... I have my next couple days cut out for me polishing away again...and then getting this thing back to the electropolishing people for another go...

For those of you wondering...This is part of a complete system to stiffen up this boat for off shore work...to tie the deck into the mast step vie two SS tie rods to keep the deck from crowning and the hull shape ridged under shroud tention, and the mast to the step via through bolting to keep the mast from ever jumping the shoe...Also getting rid of severl sand up blocks..and having losts of block attachment locations...Overkill?...Nah!..

Note* In case your wondering what this has to do with mast drilling...I want to keep this all together in one thread so I can find it easy.

Old 20-05-2010, 06:46   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Looks like yer getting closer Scott. Keep at it....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 07:29   #36

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Holy Cow-- That's nice work. I hope you don't go nuts like I am trying to finish up. Just wondering, have they dredged the entrance up at Skyline lately? It was silted up a few years ago.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 07:59   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I doubt it, no money. I went aground on the East side of the channel between the markers two years ago.
Old 20-05-2010, 08:13   #38

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
That's what I was afraid of. As I recall there was only 6ft at low tide most of the way in. Too bad, I lived aboard there for several months years ago. Had a blast.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 08:46   #39

I was told my picture wasn't showing so here it is again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mast coller.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	16288  

Old 20-05-2010, 09:10   #40

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Why is it ...We As a group here know more then any 10 yards put together...
The yards cater to the naive/gullible or people that haven't any craftsmanship skills.
Also yard workers only do what is necessary to make the job look done. They'll leave behind those loose screws and clamps and the dirt associated with the job.

As it it said a dollar saved is a dollar earned. Plus, one doesn't have to pay taxes on ones own labor, YET.
Old 20-05-2010, 18:19   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You guys go to the wrong yards... There are yards that cater ONLY to owners and accredited contractors with no work done by the yard itself other than round trips, pressure washing, pulling sticks and re-blocking boats. No percentage is taken on the contractor's work or any of that nonsense either. Places like this force a higher level of craftsmanship, that or ya won't be in business there long.
Old 12-08-2010, 15:06   #42

Here is an update on the system.

The base went in fairly straight forward..a little grinding on the Derlin bushings was all that was required to drift the pin....There is zero metal to metal contact..

The mast ring was a no brainier but they got it a tad crooked anyway...oh well.....lots of choices for future line organizers and lines running fore or aft now.

Still waiting on the deck to shoe SS tie rods that tie the system together to be made and a couple other odd's and ends here and there....And they called me a day ago and told me they were done with the boat..typical....

We are very very close though...She should be ready for sea trials in a few days....so I went out and got her a new home/slip for her to reside at......Im in the same marina as Hiracer now...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0545.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	18410   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0547.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	18411  

Name:	100_0549.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	18412  

Old 12-08-2010, 15:17   #43

Boat: 1984 CS 36
awesome workmanship - looks great!
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 15:55   #44

My deck tie rods are done..I will try to get them mounted this week end.
Attached Images

Old 14-10-2010, 16:22   #45

Well this will be my last update to this thread...I installed the tie rods today...everything fit just as planed.

All that's left is to Spartite my partners and make a new teak trim piece for around the mast at the head liner and refit/modify my sole boards..

She will be stiff now...and the mast aint ever jumpin out of this mast base..

Another added benefit is another handy hand hold below deck.

Hope this helps and gives ideas to someone else contemplating this type of upgrade to their boat....Final cost of complete project including: mast base, mast deck collar and tie rods about 1300.00 including electro polishing. Times that by two or three if you have it professionally done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	000_4159_00.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	20130   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_4163_00.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	20131  

Name:	000_4160_00.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	20132   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_4161_00-1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	20133  

Tags
mast