Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 14:01   #46

Re: Mast Climbing Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Stretchy is a non-issue on boats, since most halyards are as low-stretch as the owner can afford. I have a dedicated dyneema-cored rope for jugging masts, and a grigri to come down. I'll bring a light swing-seat style bosun's chair that I clip to a jumar once I've reached a work spot. If I work from the top down, I can just remove the jumars and descend on the grigri, stopping wherever I need to. Safety lines are only for people who don't know how strong rope is, or have a reason to mistrust the system. In that case, they need a better system.

Its not the rope strength that is the issue, its usually the attachments or rope handling.

What does a safety line and another ascender/jumar cost $250 or so? That's chump change when it comes to anything "marine". Like a gallon of expensive bottom paint.

You need to charge more if you can't afford a backup line. Its going to be tough going if you faceplant on a boat deck.

Skydivers jump out of planes with two chutes.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 15:42   #47

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Climbing the mast on some rope is fine, but out at sea, you become a pendulum, so....I just riveted aluminum mast steps all the way up. Wear a harness and clip on/off as i descend. I find this the safest way to get aloft in a seaway. If it is really rough, i tie on a life jacked back to front also to prevent chest damage.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 16:01   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I used to use a 2:1 but as the weight and beer belly have now forced me to a 4:1 And the addition of 2 mast steps at the top !
Old 06-06-2020, 17:28   #49

Boat: Pearson 28

I just bought a Pearson 28 and have been thinking about the most efficient way to get up solo on my 40' mast. I do rock climbing and have the gear to set up a rig...but climbing the rope, even with an ascender, isn't at all appealing. There are foldable mast steps you can mount, but they're pretty expensive even if you don't mind drilling additional holes and, possibly, having dissimilar metals on your mast.

I personally liked the idea of hoisting up a ladder made of tubular webbing like in this .

I've seen some people make it themselves so I decided to go that route. If you
have (or are willing to buy) a few useful tools: 50yds of Webbing, a dozen #2 gromets, and a bit of sowing is all you need.

I would still use your jib halyard and either a gri gri or a prussik knot for as a safetly line.
masteriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 18:06   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9111 View Post
Its not the rope strength that is the issue, its usually the attachments or rope handling.

What does a safety line and another ascender/jumar cost $250 or so? That's chump change when it comes to anything "marine". Like a gallon of expensive bottom paint.

You need to charge more if you can't afford a backup line. Its going to be tough going if you faceplant on a boat deck.

Skydivers jump out of planes with two chutes.
I have plenty of line, and plenty of jumars. But clutter is inefficient, so I minimize it by making sure I have one system that is good, and not wasting time with backups. Skydivers may have two chutes, but mast climbing is more analogous to rockclimbing, where one rope is pretty standard. Get used to trusting one rope when you're climbing 3,000-foot cliffs, and trusting one when climbing a 100-foot mast is no problem. It's all about knowing how to use your gear and being capable enough to be confident.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:19   #51

In the video, he did have a foot loop similar to the ATN method. The device on the rope is a common climbing Ascender. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01916S8MU...osi&th=1&psc=1

If you want to keep it simpler, this company provides a soft ladder that is just hoisted on the halyard and you climb your way to the top. If you buy an ascender
or use a prussick knot, you can have your own safety line with one of the other halyards. http://mastmate.com/
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:17   #52

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Mast steps, plain and simple.
I had the aluminum folding steps. Honestly, a PITA to unfold and refold every step of the way.

Coming down from the top, the 2nd step broke off. They were less than a year old. Cheap pot metal. By myself. Took a while to figure out how to get down because the new step down was very long and I use an ascender at all times.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:24   #53

https://aspiringsafety.com.au/produc...imbing-system/

This is a New Zealand product
I had heard they stopped production
But when I looked it up again it seems the kit is still available
I do not have one and have not tried one out
But it looks as though it is made up from good quality climbing gear
56 South is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast