Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 08:25   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Mast Climbing Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
One item I have not seen mentioned is to get a pair of knee guards as used for laying tile. They have a hard shell and the eventual banging of the legs to the mast will be no issue. I keep an old pair with me at the boat, they are super ugly but great for when servicing, repair, etc is needed

Since I seem to bang my head more often than most people, I am now looking for bicycle helmet that is not hot or heavy. I am afraid in my mind I must have a tinny head when in reality it resembles the one from the elephant man [emoji23]

Attachment 215623
On my design that is not an issue. My legs hang freely on each side of the mast, or i use them to grip the mast if i need. Socks or shoes are needed to prevent chafing my feet on the mast though. The seat of my chair has closed cell foam under the sunbrella, and I have sewn thick rawhide to the forward edge to protect it and the wooden mast from chafe. I set the centre of gravity so that I can sit back in the chair and not risk my balls getting crushed while working
Old 23-05-2020, 09:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve tried most everything, I sold the ATN ascender as I guess I’m not in good enough shape, but then neither was my 20 yr old maybe 110 lb quite athletic daughter, she made it to the top but was sore for days.
What I have now is to use the anchor windlass to pull me up the spare halyard, using an ascender on the main that is tight as a safety.
In honestly the once or twice that I have had it go aloft I’ll pay someone first I’ll only go if no Pro is available.
Last time it was after my main sail head board loop broke stranding the halyard up the mast. I used my Milwaukee drill on a Lewmar 40 series winch, it was all it could do to get the I’d guess 150 lb kid up, it would never get me up there, not a low enough winch ratio I guess. I know some will say their’s works easily, I assume they have bigger winches. I’ve not tried my sheet winches, I don’t think the angle would work and the Halyard May over wrap, then you would have a real mess.

What I think is the best plan is a couple hundred feet of climbing rope and a 4 to 1 pulley system, attach it to the halyard and haul the top block up, then of course pull yourself up at a 4 to 1 advantage, but that is a whole lot of line etc for something that is only very rarely used.

However I do believe you need a safety, an ascender works well on another halyard that is attached below and is tight, so would of course a person pulling it through a clutch, but then they would need three hands if they are also pulling you up with a winch etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 09:20   #18

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Mast steps, plain and simple.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 09:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
I wish :/
I have batten parrels that need to run freely up the mast until the last 1-1.2 meters below mast head. Though I have been thinking about installing a pair of steps a meter below the top to make working up there easier. Another option I thought of would be hoistable rat-lines. But that is a lot of cost and construction compared to what I have now.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:30   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I watched the video finally, he had what looked like a 4 to 1, but with a clutch system that I’m not familiar with, I’m betting it was made for climbing masts, he also had a safety line, at one point I saw a Prussic knot on something when he was at the top.
Interesting set up, can you contact him and ask where he got it? Might have to buy a shirt, but why not?
Old 23-05-2020, 09:33   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post

And even more would say "not in my wildest nightmare." Just sayin'.

I'm also not sayin' I like the z-haul system, only that I am familiar with it. It is particularly useful if you need to lift a fallen climber (dead weight) AND you cannot rig a tackle to the climber or reach the climber. It is the only practical way to make a 3:1 tackle using only the rope in place, and it can be rigged without taking tension off the rope. That's a neat trick. Remember, climbers in the mountains don't have winches and you may not have any helping hands.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:41   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’ve tried most everything, I sold the ATN ascender as I guess I’m not in good enough shape, but then neither was my 20 yr old maybe 110 lb quite athletic daughter, she made it to the top but was sore for days....

I guess I should feel flattered .
Old 23-05-2020, 09:46   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I guess I should feel flattered .
It made us both real sore on I guess it is the inner thighs, plus I beat my shins bloody on the mast.
Mast steps come with their own set of issues, and for no more than they would be used I wouldn’t fit them myself. I contemplated installing them to the spreaders but didn’t, and haven’t run into the need, but know that some do.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:49   #24

Boat: Riva 48

In my experience, the cheapest and fastest way is just to use the halliard and either an electric winch or a cement mixer drill ($59, AC powered) with two people. A 3:1 block and tackle works well but it needs 4x height of line plus the blocks (most of us have this on the boats, so not a big deal). The prusik knot allows you to do 3:1 with a much shorter line but the process becomes slower. Most riggers in my marina use a 3:1 or 4:1 block and tackle and just pull the line by hand but they have the upper body strength.

I do not like self pulling using your feet because it is much better to use the feet for balance against the shrouds, especially if it is windy. A safety line is often more of a nuisance than real help. It gets tangled with the block and tackle. Much better to spend time making sure your primary lines are well tied and then use a strap around the mast when you start working or resting.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 09:55   #25

Quote:
It made us both real sore on I guess it is the inner thighs, plus I beat my shins bloody on the mast.
Mast steps come with their own set of issues, and for no more than they would be used I wouldn’t fit them myself. I contemplated installing them to the spreaders but didn’t, and haven’t run into the need, but know that some do.
The advantage of a good bosun's chair is that you have both hands free to work. I wouldn't want to have both hands off the mast if I was using steps, although I still like the idea of having steps at the top of the mast, as the chair doesn't let me access the very top because of the additional distance between the top of the chair and the blocks. With a couple of steps up there, I could stay in the chair, but step into the steps, and secure my harness to the top of the mast, and I would be feel ok about working with both hands free if it was not too rolly.
Old 23-05-2020, 10:01   #26

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

With ascenders like mine, most of the effort is done by the legs.
In the photo of your ATN device I see the "new" ascenders. You mention that you have been using the ATN for a decade so I assume that you upgraded to the new version. Is there much of a difference?

I have the old, original ATN ascenders and I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to the new version.
Old 23-05-2020, 11:52   #27

Boat: Other people's boats

Watching the video it looks like a very straightforward system; a GriGri at the harness, a foot-loop attached to the jumar, and a simple pulley (Petzl Partner?) to redirect the brake line. The backup is a simple tether attached to another line with a prusik. (A small way to improve the safety would be to replace the pulley with a ratcheting pulley.)

Any good hauling system will be set up so that the lifting is performed with your legs (or better yet, your weight) and not your arms. Here, he simply stands up in the foot loop, pulls out the slack through the grigri, then can hang again from the grigri whilst raising the ascender and repeating the process.

What's not mentioned with the 3:1 crevasse rescue systems is that there's still a great deal of friction in the system and expecting a single person to successfully execute such a haul is often wishful thinking. One way to improve the efficiency is to use the "Chongo ratchet", taken from big-wall climbing. Instead of using the rope as the zed-cord, a length of Dyneema or other low-stretch cord is used, but otherwise the setup is similar (a ratchet is required). Such a system becomes a 2:1, but the gain in efficiency can still put you ahead, as climbing rope is very stretchy.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 12:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post

What's not mentioned with the 3:1 crevasse rescue systems is that there's still a great deal of friction in the system and expecting a single person to successfully execute such a haul is often wishful thinking. One way to improve the efficiency is to use the "Chongo ratchet", taken from big-wall climbing. Instead of using the rope as the zed-cord, a length of Dyneema or other low-stretch cord is used, but otherwise the setup is similar (a ratchet is required). Such a system becomes a 2:1, but the gain in efficiency can still put you ahead, as climbing rope is very stretchy.
Yea, you probably want a 4:1 system for that reason. The friction does have advantages though, as it makes it easy to control your descent with one hand. When I am working on the mast, I start at the top and work down, as it is easy to lower myself a short way and continue working. When hauling, i haul the bight above the final sheave/cleat, to reduce friction. And because of the friction I can then easily hold that part with one hand, while i pull the loose rope through the last part and secure it with the other hand. I don't use climbing rope -bouncing and swinging around the mast does not sound like fun
Old 23-05-2020, 12:14   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Watching the video it looks like a very straightforward system; a GriGri at the harness, a foot-loop attached to the jumar, and a simple pulley (Petzl Partner?) to redirect the brake line. The backup is a simple tether attached to another line with a prusik. (A small way to improve the safety would be to replace the pulley with a ratcheting pulley.)

Any good hauling system will be set up so that the lifting is performed with your legs (or better yet, your weight) and not your arms. Here, he simply stands up in the foot loop, pulls out the slack through the grigri, then can hang again from the grigri whilst raising the ascender and repeating the process.

Yes, dead on!

I was asked to teach the z-haul method to some guys working on the Galapagos Islands, removing goats (yeah, it's a thing). It's hard, which is why it surprised me.

But did it look like a z-haul to you? Or did I see it wrong?

---

Yes, I understand the ATN system... which is why I use a Mast Mate.
Old 23-05-2020, 13:17   #30

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
I am curious; Were you in a seaway?
The spinnaker halyard I mount the ATN on is tied of to a cleat on the toe rail
so there is a bit of movement until you are adjacent mast when you get higher.
Up top of mast makes me motion sick in a seaway. Got to get it done quickly and get down. Best to have a restrictor strap to mast to prevent too much oscillation.
But the ATN I really like. Allows me up there solo.
Once you get comfortable and relaxed using it, you expend way less energy.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast