Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2019, 06:59   #1

Boat: Sabre, 452, 45'
Lewmar V3 Windlass - Deck Unit Removal

Hi All, I'm replacing my V3 windlass with FastFit motor gearbox. I have the motor/gearbox off and removed the four nuts around the bolts for the Deck unit under the deck. I'm trying to remove the Deck unit and it is not coming off easily. My question is, does the unit just lift off the deck or are there other bolts/nuts or does the shaft need to be removed?
jrobert890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 09:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Lewmar V3 Windlass - Deck Unit Removal

I've got a similar Lewmar windlass though not a V3. It is through bolted, 4 IIRC. No other fasteners or fixing to the deck. Most liquid caulks have adhesive qualities, some more than others. If it was caulked with 5200 you'll need to apply considerable steady pressure by fastening the rode to something solid, cranking it very taught and waiting. If it doesn't come loose after a day or two, head down to your local chandler and buy a product called 'Debond'. It's a solvent for 5200 and liberal application over time will soften the 5200. Be very careful if you try and pry it off. 5200 has a strong enough bond to pull the gel coat off the fiberglass laminate. If it's some other caulk, putting constant tension on the windlass should spring it loose in an hour or two.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 06:22   #3

Boat: Sabre, 452, 45'
Re: Lewmar V3 Windlass - Deck Unit Removal

Great, thanks for the feedback. I applied Debond several days ago, but haven't checked due to the weather. I'll let you know what happened.
jrobert890 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, lewmar, removal, wind, windlass