Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2017, 13:06   #16

Boat: 88 36' Hunter
Re: Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I could spend weeks trying to block off all of the non-problematic leaks on my big boat trying to do this.

I do use this method on my catamaran to find leaks (it's a nacra f16, so doesn't have vents for the humans to breath inside).

These 2 leaks are a huge problem as they are in the only stateroom we have. And having just spent a small fortune on a new mattress and bedding, I have no intentions of not dealing with them. The portlights in the salon leak and need replaced. This will also have to be done prior to the new cushions going in.

It is what it is... I get it. But if it can be fixed, then that's what is going to have to happen.
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 13:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A boat is not a house. You don't search for the exit of a leak and trace it back, you search for the ENTRANCE, by pressurizing the hull with a shopvac or leaf blower, throwing sopay water on deck, and watching to see where the bubbles blow. That's the entrance point of the leak. The exit point is irrelevant.

All old news. Here and elsewhere.

There is no way to get this boat pressurized enough...
Old 13-07-2017, 13:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post

I'm not sure if your "bang head" and "face palm" were meant as a sarcastic remark but if they were, you can keep your crap to yourself.

I'm new to all of this and after yours and several others responses, I think I'll be finding another forum to ask questions on.

Never seen so many rude people in my life. And to think I've been told that sailors are salt of the earth people......... smh.
Old 13-07-2017, 13:11   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I could spend weeks trying to block off all of the non-problematic leaks"

Blower through a piece of cardboard box replacing the companionway board. Duct tape over the two engine cowlings, duct tape over the dorades, secure the ports (and even if they are leaky, it won't matter) and how much else is there on the average boat?

Last time I did this we found "the" leak, as well as two more fittings that hadn't shown any sign of trouble inside the boat, but obviously needed rebedding.

Oh, yeah and then the hull deck joint blew apart from all the excessive pressure, there were pieces of rubrail scattered for a hundred yards. (There's always SOMEone who insists that will happen, so let's make it so.)

I'd need to block off the cockpit lockers, the helm locker, the dorades, the chain locker, etc. it's workable, but I would treat it as a last resort after rebedding everything else that was questionable anyway,
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 13:12   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
These 2 leaks are a huge problem as they are in the only stateroom we have. And having just spent a small fortune on a new mattress and bedding, I have no intentions of not dealing with them. The portlights in the salon leak and need replaced. This will also have to be done prior to the new cushions going in.

It is what it is... I get it. But if it can be fixed, then that's what is going to have to happen.

I didn't mean to imply not fixing the leaks.

Where is your berth wet? On top of the mattress or below? That can really help track down the leak as well.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 13:44   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The only hard part of leak testing a hull, is to remember that once you have thrown a bucket of suds over the entire deck, SOMEONE is going to take a hard spill over the side unless they are very careful and rinse it all off. Especially if the boat is up on jackstands at the time.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 13:55   #22

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Pressurizing the hull to find leaks is a fantasy and I bet very few that recommend it have actually done it. The best way to find the source of leaks is to use a humble garden sprayer of the "pump to pressurize" type. Just set the nozzle to a "pee" stream and start pointing it at suspect deck fittings and joints with an observer placed in the boat where the leaks are occurring. You'll find those pesky leak sources in no time at all.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 14:03   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
I'm not sure if your "bang head" and "face palm" were meant as a sarcastic remark but if they were, you can keep your crap to yourself.

I'm new to all of this and after yours and several others responses, I think I'll be finding another forum to ask questions on.

Never seen so many rude people in my life. And to think I've been told that sailors are salt of the earth people......... smh.

Kind sir your opening post sought help from the perspective of a rookie. 8 min later you dismissed all and had a solution.

Put some big boy pants on. TRUST ME go to Sailing Anarchy if you want harsh.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 15:02   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

blowfish,

Here's a link I found by Googling on "how to find leaks from sailboat decks into cabin", just regular Google, not a CF Google Custom Search, under the Search menu:

Detecting a Leaky Deck | Cruising World

I don't normally go get links, because I am limited in my data consumption. I did it to try and mitigate your frustration.

However, this may help you with CF. The regular Search requires an exact match to work, whereas the CF Google Custom Search just might take you to a thread specific to Hunters, it seems to collate ideas, rather than try for exact matches.

Finally, please avoid coarse or vulgar language--that is part of the rules to which we all agree upon becoming members of CF.

Ann
Old 13-07-2017, 15:27   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As Galileo said, "Never the less, it turns."

Those who wish to pee on their decks are welcome to. A number of us, as stated in a number of different posts from different sources, have found a quicker simpler way to actually accomplish things.

Sailmonkey-
Not all anchor lockers drain INside the hull. And while our cockpit lockers (two) are indeed open to the engine space and eventually the cabin that way...we missed that one and it STILL didn't matter. A leaf blower (mine wasn't a Toro, and if it hadn't been old news ten years ago, wow, I could have sold an article to Cruising World!) really puts out more air than you need. Consider that a two year old huffing over a bubble stick can blow a huge train of bubbles. You don't need to hermetically seal a hull, even a tiny little stream of bubbles coming out of a fitting is all it takes to condemn it as leaky.
Getting close enough to be sure you can see even a tiny stream of bubbles? Ah, that's when you learn how slick a soapy deck can be.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 15:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Kind sir your opening post sought help from the perspective of a rookie. 8 min later you dismissed all and had a solution.

Put some big boy pants on. TRUST ME go to Sailing Anarchy if you want harsh.

Not a sir and didn't dismiss a single thing. Sadly, your response of "put some big boy pants on" says everything I need to know. Have a blessed day!
Old 13-07-2017, 15:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
blowfish,

Here's a link I found by Googling on "how to find leaks from sailboat decks into cabin", just regular Google, not a CF Google Custom Search, under the Search menu:

Detecting a Leaky Deck | Cruising World

I don't normally go get links, because I am limited in my data consumption. I did it to try and mitigate your frustration.

However, this may help you with CF. The regular Search requires an exact match to work, whereas the CF Google Custom Search just might take you to a thread specific to Hunters, it seems to collate ideas, rather than try for exact matches.

Finally, please avoid coarse or vulgar language--that is part of the rules to which we all agree upon becoming members of CF.

Ann

Thank you Ann! As I discovered another serious leak just before leaving the boat today, we will be seeking some professional help once we get into our home marina tomorrow. As this could potentially be a lengthy process and we've been living in hotels for 7 weeks, the quicker the better.

As for the coarse language, I hope you weren't referring to my use of the word "crap". Lol

Thanks again!

Tags
leaks