Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2021, 13:26   #1

Boat: Freedom 38
Is vanity is rearing its ugly head on deck hardware?

I need help....I stripped the deck of my 38-footer of all hardware which consisted of a motley crew of Garhauer, Schaefer, and Harken line organizers and fairleads from the second-hand store. All lines go aft and include the reefing lines, halyards, Cunningham and outhaul. Most are 10 mm with the biggest being the main halyard at 12 mm. The main sheet and traveler are separate. I'm leaning toward Spinlock or Antal 6-line deck organizers and the multihole fairleads.

Any opinions out there? Cost is not a big factor, but not like many things, higher costs (often) = higher quality. My top priority how well they're going to hold up, but I'm leaning toward looking good as #2. I just painted the decks and she looks fabulous so I'm kinda all in at this point. I can send links on my top choices if more info is needed. Appreciate any and all comments/thoughts!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 13:48   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Is vanity is rearing its ugly head on deck hardware?

Paint all the old stuff black and put it back, no one will notice the plethora of brands and a lot of that old stuff is better built than the fancy modern stuff with all it's crappy plastic.
Old 26-06-2021, 13:50   #3
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

There may be some vanity, but if your going to use cockpit led lines then the related hardware needs to be damn reliable! I have had good luck with both Spinlock and Antal. Garhauer deck hardware would be my choice every time for the other mentioned bits
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 16:28   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Paint all the old stuff black and put it back, no one will notice the plethora of brands and a lot of that old stuff is better built than the fancy modern stuff with all it's crappy plastic.
Nice, RaymondR. I rather agree. It is the sort of thing you have to be close to to notice.

It isn't vanity, just wanting your boat to look smart. But, if the old hardware is in good condition, and has been working to your taste, why change it? Unless they're looking shabby, I wouldn't even paint them. Put 'em back and go sailing instead.

Well loved boats almost always have mix and matched hardware after a certain point, depending on what was available at a reasonable price when it was added. Now, if you own Harken stock, perhaps it is different, perhaps you want the mental pleasure of helping your stock along by buying their goodies.

Ann
Old 26-06-2021, 16:38   #5

Gawd but I love the Spinlock multiple clutches! https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...uct_groups/xts

They are metal - not plastic - and are the best damn clutches I've ever had on any boat.

Good luck Gamayun! I wondered where you'd got to...
LittleWing77
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XTS_Onboard_2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	241059  
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 16:39   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

With lines lead aft there tend to be lots of sheaves involved in each one, and frictional losses add up quickly. So, IMO deck organizers are not a place to economize. Go for designs with ball bearings rather than plain, and if possible, ones where you can replace the balls when they become worn.

Clutches need to be correctly sized for the line in use. I prefer the Lewmar type to the Spinlock type, for I've found that the Lewmars will release under load quite reliably.

As to them all being from one source... well, when you have crew do you insist on matching outfits? If so, then perhaps...

Do let us know what you select and how well they work out in practice.

Jim
Old 26-06-2021, 16:50   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I have the spinlocks too .. nice hardware
Old 26-06-2021, 17:12   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Been happy with my spinlock deck organizers and clutches to date
Old 27-06-2021, 03:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If price was no object, I'd choose Antal first, Harken second.
Not sure if Lewmar's making clutches any more--they've had a shake-up or two, but Spinlock's the standard now anyway.
Old 27-06-2021, 04:54   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I may be in the same boat (figuratively). Looking forward to more insight.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2021, 05:38   #11

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Gamayun,
Did you decide to keep the motley crew of fittings or did you unify/modernize those pieces? Inquiring (nosy) minds want to know (and live vicariously though you).
Old 30-06-2021, 05:43   #12

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

Overall quality, fit, function and durability accompanied by an outstanding warranty, Garhauer is hard to beat.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 18:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
With lines lead aft there tend to be lots of sheaves involved in each one, and frictional losses add up quickly. So, IMO deck organizers are not a place to economize. Go for designs with ball bearings rather than plain, and if possible, ones where you can replace the balls when they become worn.

Clutches need to be correctly sized for the line in use. I prefer the Lewmar type to the Spinlock type, for I've found that the Lewmars will release under load quite reliably.

As to them all being from one source... well, when you have crew do you insist on matching outfits? If so, then perhaps...

Do let us know what you select and how well they work out in practice.

Jim
Hey everyone! I'm just now getting back to this thread! Geez Louise life has been a tough mudder lately. I still haven't pulled the trigger on hardware but the comments here have been very helpful. Like Jim's suggestion about ball bearings versus plain sheaves. I actually never thought about this before but it makes great sense to me now. One of the deck organizers has some really old looking sheaves and the other has ball bearings. It also needs to go from 4 lines to 6 lines. These are the ones I'm considering but likely to go with Harken because it's most like the 4-sheave one I have from Garhauer. I like the Spinlock's style but not sure I want to take up all the lateral deck space.

https://www.p2marine.com/harken-57mm...deck-organizer

https://www.p2marine.com/spinlock-hi...multiple-lines
Old 03-07-2021, 18:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Gawd but I love the Spinlock multiple clutches! https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...uct_groups/xts

They are metal - not plastic - and are the best damn clutches I've ever had on any boat.

Good luck Gamayun! I wondered where you'd got to...

[emoji3] LittleWing77
Hey Littlewing! Long time. I need to get back here and find out what's been going on lately with you all. I so wish I could find the picture I took of my motley crew of (mostly) Spinlock clutches (2 are Antals) that were purchased used from the local chandlery when I "upgraded" a couple years ago. These are staying for now as that would be too much work and money to change. They work great but I wish I hadn't gotten sloppy with the painting....
Old 03-07-2021, 18:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Gamayun,
Did you decide to keep the motley crew of fittings or did you unify/modernize those pieces? Inquiring (nosy) minds want to know (and live vicariously though you).
Ha, the three weekends that I spent bent under tarps while painting the decks put me in the emergency room with a pinched nerve in my prirformis - a literal pain-in-the-butt! I now understand the concept of taking opioids for "breakthrough pain." It took weeks, but I can now feel my leg again. My dear, Spot, you do not want to live anywhere vicariously near me

Tags
deck, hardware, head