Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 16:15   #46

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Internal Ballast - to melt or not to melt

Since you want to perform an inspection, remove what is there and replace it in the same order. You might want to weigh it while it is out. Perhaps the bullets are after the fact additions to adjust the ballast weight or to fill in gaps. The boat is what, 50 -60 years old? From the photos things look fine and dry. Will an unneeded "fix" make anything better? Nonetheless, it is your boat and your project.
Old 10-02-2018, 17:08   #47

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The idea of pouring molten lead directly into the hollow FRP keel shell, even with the shell in the water is pretty risky... perhaps understated, that!

Besides the possibility of inadequate cooling and thus causing degradation or even destruction of the laminate,, just how do you propose to get several tonnes of very hot, very heavy liquid from a smelting furnace down below decks and carefully into your bilge? Might be one of those easier said than done things, no matter what internet experts tell you!

I've actually been involved with casting a four tonne bulb, using a reinforced concrete mold and a proper smelting furnace. It was definitely hazardous in several ways, including manhandling all that scrap lead, avoiding inhalation of fumes for hours while scavenging the dross (HEAPS of dross) as the scrap melted, and finally avoiding backspray from the sprue holes as the pour progressed. A very educational experience for me and for the shipwright I was assisting. Came out ok in the long run, but it was a much longer and harder day than either of us expected.

Enter into this operation with some forethought and care, carefully considering the question " what could POSSIBLY go wrong!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-June Keel preparation and casting 008.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	163846   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-June Keel preparation and casting 015.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	163847  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-June Keel preparation and casting 017.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	163848  
Old 10-02-2018, 18:16   #48

Boat: 1987 Classic 37

Buzzstar,
You are correct that it all does look dry...in that section. The bolt holes at the bottom of the keel for the rudder shoe are still weeping on warm (above 0 c, 32 F) days. That is a bit further away. Then as you get closer, the outside of the keel shows definite cracking that looks induced internally. Here in the North, land of winter ice and snow I am guessing that water got in and froze.

GRAMPIAN CLASSIC 37 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

I'm not sure if the link above will work, but Check Sailboatdata for Grampian Classic 37, and in the line drawing I see what appears to be a lead plug at the bow end, which appears to be held on by bolts. The boat has been on the hard for over 20 years and given the level of moisture in the rest of the keel, I would be surprised if those bolts are still serviceable.

The lazy part of me would just replace the lead shot fill, patch the hole and go sailing.

The smart and careful part of me is on with the project of discovery and repair so that I can be confident that essential components like ballast will not just fall off-whether I hit a rock or not.

I appreciate your thoughts. I certainly don't want to overdo it either....

Jim, that's quite a project you undertook there. I am really glad to have found lead here, and especially the lead "bricks". I -should- be able to remove them without too much hassle and make sure she'll be seaworthy for another 25 years or so.

Thanks again to everyone for your responses. Good education here.
David Saunders
Old 10-02-2018, 19:17   #49

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Jim, that's quite a project you undertook there. I am really glad to have found lead here, and especially the lead "bricks". I -should- be able to remove them without too much hassle and make sure she'll be seaworthy for another 25 years or so.
Not my project! I was simply helping out the shipwright who built our boat...a fellow who has become a good friend, and who was well into building his next boat. You may be able to tell from the photos that there were lots of folks who came to spectate... not so many who were willing to get their hands dirty and their backs sore.

I've learned a lot working along with Gary over the years. He's a brilliant shipwright, and quite generous with his knowldege. One of the things I learned was to try and avoid melting a lot of lead and then messing with it!!

Jim